XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New Jaguar owner & I need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may be just me, but he's charging you $4000 to swap an engine?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LowellLamb
This may be just me, but he's charging you $4000 to swap an engine?
It's a fully rebuilt engine, not a used just a engine. Does this cost still seem way out of line?

Old 11-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JZjaguar
It's a fully rebuilt engine, not a used just a engine. Does this cost still seem way out of line?
You were saying the rebuilt was going to be $2000, the total $6000, so apparently $4000 for the labor. If this is correct, I just kinda wonder. However, I really don't know.

Myself, I'd try to take a step back and see if I want to put this much on this car, or maybe see what else might be out there? I went thru this a bit when I thot my engine might be toast. Fortunately it wasn't.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by LowellLamb
You were saying the rebuilt was going to be $2000, the total $6000, so apparently $4000 for the labor. If this is correct, I just kinda wonder. However, I really don't know.

Myself, I'd try to take a step back and see if I want to put this much on this car, or maybe see what else might be out there? I went thru this a bit when I thot my engine might be toast. Fortunately it wasn't.
Sorry for the confusion, it was about $4k for a used engine including all parts and labor. For a rebuilt engine with a 2 year 24k mile warranty, all parts and labor it will be $5,650. The rest of the car inside & out is in near perfect condition. Does that sound like a good deal/idea?

Old 11-19-2015, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

IF (big if!) the car is near perfect otherwise and the "rebuild" is done by a quality shop, then you know what you have when you are done.

Just for reference, I bought a 70,000 mile 2002 XFR engine used for $2,000. It should cost about $ 1,500 to $2000. to install.

What really has not yet been said in this thread is, it takes a really good mechanic with a lot of tools and time to match the parts matching that goes on in the original manufacture of an engine. For instance, you can notice on the right side of the engine are hand stamped codes which specify which "tolerances" of parts fit in each cylinder position. So, "small" pistons are fit in "small" bores and so on. Each of the parts (usually) is within overall spec, but by further matching tolerances, they make an engine much more inside the tolerance. Without what is called "blueprinting", that just does not occur for a "rebuilt" engine.

So, it is your call, but many of us would go for the used engine rather than the rebuild, IF (another BIG IF) we knew the pedigree of the used motor.

Other opinions will vary! Either way you go, good luck and keep us posted of the results so others can make good decisions.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
IF (big if!) the car is near perfect otherwise and the "rebuild" is done by a quality shop, then you know what you have when you are done.

Just for reference, I bought a 70,000 mile 2002 XFR engine used for $2,000. It should cost about $ 1,500 to $2000. to install.

What really has not yet been said in this thread is, it takes a really good mechanic with a lot of tools and time to match the parts matching that goes on in the original manufacture of an engine. For instance, you can notice on the right side of the engine are hand stamped codes which specify which "tolerances" of parts fit in each cylinder position. So, "small" pistons are fit in "small" bores and so on. Each of the parts (usually) is within overall spec, but by further matching tolerances, they make an engine much more inside the tolerance. Without what is called "blueprinting", that just does not occur for a "rebuilt" engine.

So, it is your call, but many of us would go for the used engine rather than the rebuild, IF (another BIG IF) we knew the pedigree of the used motor.

Other opinions will vary! Either way you go, good luck and keep us posted of the results so others can make good decisions.
Thank you for the info, I really appreciate everyone on here being so helpful! I will definitely keep everyone posted, thanks again.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

I had to replace the engine on my XJ8 VDP. XK8 engines usually have fewer miles and get wrecked more often. Coventry West sold me an XK8 engine with warranty, new tensioners and about 60,000 miles on it. $2,600. Be careful on the year since an earlier engine will require more changes to make it work.

Getting a new XJ8 and using this as parts car is cheaper in the long term.

I understand the emotional attachment. I "invest" $4,000 a year in my car....

The following 3 users liked this post by Lear45:
Jhartz (11-22-2015), JZjaguar (11-21-2015), sparkenzap (11-20-2015)
Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Default Rebuilt original motor

So I decided to have the original motor rebuilt since the rest of the car is near perfect. I get it back next Tuesday 2/16. Once I get it back I'll post a new thread with an update! Thanks for your help everyone!

Pulling the motor before tear down and rebuild.

The rebuilt block, looks great!

Old 02-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Did you ever find out what went wrong with the engine?

Old 02-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Default Bearings disintegrated

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
Did you ever find out what went wrong with the engine?

(Not a great pic) Metal pieces in the oil, damaged the crankshaft too.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default History

The mechanic that has worked on it for a long time, did you ask him if the car had a history of being overheated?
When I bought mine I had constant coolant hose issues, it resulted in the car overheating and eventually head gasket replacements. I also had every single coolant hose on the car replaced by Jaguar. You really have to watch it with these cars, they have coolant system reliability issues, and if not taken care of can turn in to head gasket issues. Mine had been overheated several times.
Replacing with a used motor is surely your best bet, replacing the entire car my have its own set of problems, and you may end up right where you are now. Stick with the known evil. 6K is not bad if that is parts and labor all together.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JZjaguar

(Not a great pic) Metal pieces in the oil, damaged the crankshaft too.

Your right.... not a great pic, but the subject is worse than the technique!

Old 02-11-2016, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ym37tech
The mechanic that has worked on it for a long time, did you ask him if the car had a history of being overheated?
When I bought mine I had constant coolant hose issues, it resulted in the car overheating and eventually head gasket replacements. I also had every single coolant hose on the car replaced by Jaguar. You really have to watch it with these cars, they have coolant system reliability issues, and if not taken care of can turn in to head gasket issues. Mine had been overheated several times.
Replacing with a used motor is surely your best bet, replacing the entire car my have its own set of problems, and you may end up right where you are now. Stick with the known evil. 6K is not bad if that is parts and labor all together.
No known issues with overheating. I took it on a riadtrip from San Diego to Monterrey and back with no issues at all. $6K was the total for everything and they rebuilt my motor. I didn't want to go the used motor route because there's no way to know what it's been through.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:35 PM

Good stuff. The rebuilt block looks great. As long as the block itself wasn't damaged/cracked that would be the way to go. To be honest I didn't see the pictures until just after I posted. When you had it out you should have hunted down an XJR tranny and top end. Superchargers are fun!!

Old 02-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

You cannot just throw in a XJR (Mercedes) tranny, and slap a blower on the top.... way too many differences!

ECUs, Intercooler rad, fuel tank has 2 fuel pumps etc etc....

Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 PM

I know man... I was kidding.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Were you kidding about "coolant hose issues" and overheating? Seriously, other than the early water pump failures, these cars, including the SC just don't have many failures. Yours seems to have been an exception. Do you have any idea why yours had "coolant hose issues". I don't disagree with your replacmenbt of all the hoses. That's probably a good idea on any car that is 14 - 18 years old!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:42 AM

No, I was not kidding about the coolant hose issues.
I have had all of mine replaced.
Coming back from OKC one day the small line that connects to the back of the Thermostat housing broke at the connector, it just pumped coolant all down the front of the block. After replacing that piece the, hose that runs back to the throttle body broke, then the hoses that run under the S/C broke. I had them all replaced by Jaguar of Tulsa.
Also, there are quite a few posts about coolant system leaks on these cars. There are heater hosers that run under the S/C, and sit right on the top of the motor. They are prone to fail.

Attached Thumbnails New Jaguar owner & I need help!!-imag00002.jpg  

Last edited by ym37tech; 02-12-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ym37tech
No, I was not kidding about the coolant hose issues.
I have had all of mine replaced.
Coming back from OKC one day the small line that connects to the back of the Thermostat housing broke at the connector, it just pumped coolant all down the front of the block. After replacing that piece the, hose that runs back to the throttle body broke, then the hoses that run under the S/C broke. I had them all replaced by Jaguar of Tulsa.
Also, there are quite a few posts about coolant system leaks on these cars. There are heater hosers that run under the S/C, and sit right on the top of the motor. They are prone to fail.
The mechanic replaced all hoses and belts. Including the octopus hose (as he called it). He said that is the hose which causes a lot of issues if not replaced.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

JZ,
Thanks for keeping us up to date, and sorry about your engine. Questions: Who did your rebuild, and are you happy with the results?

Quick Reply: New Jaguar owner & I need help!!