XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New Jaguar owner & I need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smtguy
JZ,
Thanks for keeping us up to date, and sorry about your engine. Questions: Who did your rebuild, and are you happy with the results?
My mechanic was Chris, he used to own Sterling Motors in Temecula, CA. I just got it back yesterday and have driven it all day today. Everything seems great!

Old 02-17-2016, 06:12 PM
Default She's all better now!

I got my 2002 VPD back yesterday!!

I had the original engine rebuilt, new crankshaft (see pic of the old one)

all new hoses, gaskets, belts, new motor mounts, thermostat, water pump etc. pretty much new everything. He also gave me a 24k mile warranty. Anyone in the Temecula area or willing to come to the area for a great mechanic, let me know. I highly recommend him!!!

Last edited by JZjaguar; 02-17-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Jason, I'm SO VERY HAPPY to hear that you're back on the road. I really felt awful that the engine died. I still don't understand what happened to the oil in the first place. And since the question came up in this thread about overheating, when I bought it in 2010, Chris replaced the pump, all the hoses, thermostat, etc., and at least for the five years / ~50K miles I drove it, it never had any hint of a cooling problem.

Regardless, I know you're going to get many years of pure ecstasy out of her. The pic above is just gorgeous; reminds me how much I love that car, and that my move to the XF was a serious downgrade. Let me know when you're tired of it; I'll buy it back from you.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:14 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Very nice!

Old 02-20-2016, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by DGorvetzian
Jason, I'm SO VERY HAPPY to hear that you're back on the road. I really felt awful that the engine died. I still don't understand what happened to the oil in the first place. And since the question came up in this thread about overheating, when I bought it in 2010, Chris replaced the pump, all the hoses, thermostat, etc., and at least for the five years / ~50K miles I drove it, it never had any hint of a cooling problem.

Regardless, I know you're going to get many years of pure ecstasy out of her. The pic above is just gorgeous; reminds me how much I love that car, and that my move to the XF was a serious downgrade. Let me know when you're tired of it; I'll buy it back from you.
Hi Doug, it might be a while before I get tired of it (if ever). But I'll let you know first. Chris did a great job and is very helpful. Thanks for introducing him to me!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Very nice !

Old 02-21-2016, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by JZjaguar
I got my 2002 VPD back yesterday!!

I had the original engine rebuilt, new crankshaft (see pic of the old one)

all new hoses, gaskets, belts, new motor mounts, thermostat, water pump etc. pretty much new everything. He also gave me a 24k mile warranty. Anyone in the Temecula area or willing to come to the area for a great mechanic, let me know. I highly recommend him!!!

Bloody hell!!! You didn't need a micrometre to measure that crankshaft wear, a yard stick would have done!

Never seen a crankshaft wear like that before.

Anyways, all is good now, just enjoy the car!

The following users liked this post:
JZjaguar (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 05:04 PM

Pretty crazy huh Andrew! I was blown away!

Old 02-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks great ! I live in the UK but have visited Temecula a few of times (family), nice part of the world to get your ride fixed (if you like sunshine and antique shops !).
It's been a much debated thread but I think you did the right thing all aspects considered, the car looks absolutely immaculate, I've not seen one in the colour before, what is it called (titanium, gunmetal, er... grey?). Pure class with the black leather.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JZjaguar
Pretty crazy huh Andrew! I was blown away!

Jason, sir, at least you still seem to be upbeat about it, although quite a few £ss down.

But, hey, What a car you have now!!!

Old 02-22-2016, 04:06 AM
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I think Jason is a gifted photographer too, but you bet, the car is gorgeous. The interior isn't black; it's a dusty grey/green, very similar to the outside. Very classy. The only thing it's missing is right-hand drive. And perhaps a supercharger.

Andrew Lowe & Kyle 04, I've seen photos of older XJ's sold in UK/Europe where the back seat had a proper console, and I think the seat bases actually slid forward independently to provide the equivalent of a recline (perhaps called a Saloon?). I don't think that was ever brought to the U.S., probably because it makes the car a 4-seater instead of a 5-seater. Does Jag still offer that in the UK? My bucket list includes owning a RHD XJ, and it would be sweet to get one with that back seat. And what the heck; a supercharger. Does such a beast exist in the UK?

Old 02-22-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
Jason, sir, at least you still seem to be upbeat about it, although quite a few £ss down.

But, hey, What a car you have now!!!
True! I love it!!

Old 02-22-2016, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGorvetzian
I think Jason is a gifted photographer too, but you bet, the car is gorgeous. The interior isn't black; it's a dusty grey/green, very similar to the outside. Very classy. The only thing it's missing is right-hand drive. And perhaps a supercharger.

Andrew Lowe & Kyle 04, I've seen photos of older XJ's sold in UK/Europe where the back seat had a proper console, and I think the seat bases actually slid forward independently to provide the equivalent of a recline (perhaps called a Saloon?). I don't think that was ever brought to the U.S., probably because it makes the car a 4-seater instead of a 5-seater. Does Jag still offer that in the UK? My bucket list includes owning a RHD XJ, and it would be sweet to get one with that back seat. And what the heck; a supercharger. Does such a beast exist in the UK?

What you are referring to, is a Daimler 8 Vanden Plas LWB, or the Daimler Super V8 LWB, these had a centre console that followed through from the front to the rear between the individual rear seats, that were electrically operated for height and recline.

As you said, they are only a four seater, but due to copyright laws ( Daimler was/is owned by Mercedes in the US ) you got them over there badged as Jaguars, but with the Daimler fluted grill and boot plinth!