XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New to Jaguar and preparing to replace shocks, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017 | 12:33 PM
|
Default New to Jaguar and preparing to replace shocks, advice?

I need to replace the shocks on my 98 XRJ, front and back. I suspect the car needs additional suspension work but I want to start here because I can tell the shocks are completely blown.

started researching which shocks to purchase and ran into this CATS vs non CATS cars. What is CATS? I suppose that would be a good starting place. I have not inspected my cars suspension system and just now in the preliminary research phase of this upcoming project.

Old 10-02-2017 | 01:39 PM

CATS vs NON CATS. The easiest way, is pop the hood. There's probably a little plastic black cup over the top of the shock itself. Pop it off, and if you have a wire plugged into the top of the shock, you have CATS. If not, you don't.

Depending on the additional work it needs, you might be further ahead to do them at the same time.

The front shocks are cake. It's a matter of supporting the car on stands, disconnecting the top and bottom while supporting the lower control arm with a jack, lower it down to avoid the spring bouncing around, and slide it out. It really is that simple.

The rears, if you have the correct spring compressing tools, are similar, but if you don't, then you're faced with having to either drop or bend the rear cross member plate to allow clearance. It's not hard, but it is more time consuming. Plenty of posts on here regarding that process. But not every compressor tool will give clearance, so definitely read and search those posts to know which style will work if you want to go that route.

Also in the rears, make sure you buy everything new all at once, from the shocks, the bushings, donuts on top, etc. It's not something you want to have to do more than once in short time frames if you can help it. It gives you practice, sure, but it's annoying lol.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-03-2017)
Old 10-02-2017 | 01:43 PM
|

Excellent info. I was going to purchase a spring compression tool, any suggestions? I want to purchase a good one that can be used on multiple cars. I own several other cars that I can use this compression tool on.

Old 10-02-2017 | 01:46 PM
|

Also anyone have a parts list of what should be replaced front and rear shocks since they will be off?

Old 10-02-2017 | 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michael Brown
Excellent info. I was going to purchase a spring compression tool, any suggestions? I want to purchase a good one that can be used on multiple cars. I own several other cars that I can use this compression tool on.
In my opinion, using a spring compressor for the rear is a PITA (limited space, and fuel lines in the way).
It is an hour extra (max!) to remove and install the A-frame, less if you decide to bend it, and you can just pull out the springs without any force.
See enclosed 2 file from blackonyx as a guidance, it is not more than that.

Don B (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017 | 02:37 AM

I used a decent, fairly sized, hand cranked tool with replaceble heads. Found it on ebay, not especially expensive..

Make sure your rear whee lbearings still are well greased... else.. regerase or maybe replace them as well....

--while your at it, make sure your lower arm bearings in the hub are in good condition too..

Don B (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017 | 07:43 PM

Holy crap! that bearing is in bad shape.

Old 10-03-2017 | 10:10 PM

Hi Michael,

Add me to the list of those recommending you not bother with spring compressors for the rears. Space is tight and as far as I'm concerned it's more difficult and time consuming to try to use compressors. You don't have to remove the entire subframe or bend it. Just remove the screws and bolts along the front edge and under the differential, and loosen the ones at the rear edge. This gives the spring clearance to fully extend so you can remove it.

The fronts are a different story because the spring is in an arc or curve when installed, and standard spring compressors cannot be used safely. You can build your own compressor with an 18 inch length of 3/4 inch or 19 mm threaded rod, or use four 12 inch lengths of 8 mm threaded rod to slowly lower the spring pan. There are plenty of threads on this topic in the forum - here's a recent one:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...my-xj8-189257/

Here's a link to some photos of the spring compressor I built - many owners use a stack of heavy washers as a thrust device instead of the steel ball I drilled (because I work on a lot of Jaguars). Sorry the large images aren't currently working while Jag-Lovers transitions to a new server:

Front Spring Compressor Construction & Use

A great place to view parts diagrams and part numbers is jaguarclassicparts.com, the parts service of the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust. Here are the diagrams for the front and rear shock absorbers:

Front: In addition to the shocks, part 5, which will probably come with new lower bushings, part 6, and top nuts, part 7, you will need new foam rubber bumpers, part 9, and you will probably also need the top mounts, part 8. You may be able to reuse the dust boots or gaiters, part 10, but new ones aren't too expensive. Check our forum sponsors, SNG Barratt, Coventry West, and Jagbits:

Rear: Your new shocks will probably come with the foam rubber isolator bushings, parts 13 & 14 or 21 & 22 as well as the lower bushings, part 12 or 20, and top nuts, part 16 or 25. You will also need new large foam rubber spring isolator bushings or "donuts," part 5, which compress over time resulting in a loss of ride height:

I may be forgetting something but I'm sure others will chime in.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-04-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Scotlad (10-04-2017)
Old 10-03-2017 | 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Auto Zone has a free tool loan system . Just used their spring compressor last weak . They have 2 types to try .

The replacement seal kit for the suspension compressor is $ 45 or 65 as it is a teflon seal that wears out . Easy to reseal yourself . Has a video on his website on how to do it .

There are seals and revalving kits to rebuild your original shocks but then you will need to source both the upper and lower bushings .

Spray with some penetrating oil weeks ahead the lower rear bolt item 26 in above pic as it is the one commonly stuck and damaged beyond serviceability

Front lower ball joint bolts X 4 X 2 are also bad like on mine .

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BilsteinAppGuide308.pdf (2.89 MB, 73 views)

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 10-03-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2017 | 01:12 AM

Hi Michael,

I just re-did the rears on my 98 XJ8 3 days ago. This makes the 2nd time in 3 years. If you don't want to be re-doing your rears anytime soon (hopefully never), take heed - don't forget to use threadlock on the top nuts. My left side worked itself off. Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose what the hell the banging was, was to take the plunge again, since the top nut is above the top spring pan, and there's no way to see up there. I just assumed that the threaded shock rod broke. Nope. Nut and top bushing were completely off and rattling around, and needless to say, the top of the shock was flappin' in the breeze.

When I replaced the shocks 3 years ago, I cheaped out, and bought the Sensen shocks. And to be honest, they were fine for my needs. The snafu that occured was user error (no threadlock), but I suspected the rod broke, since they were so cheap. The pickle I put myself in was should I tear into it and see what the problem is, or buy replacements and have it all ready to go if it needs it. Since this job is so time consuming, and an exporatory operation is practically as painful as the real thing, I bit the bullet and went with new Bilsteins. I also bought new lower rubber spring bushings, and the upper spring bushings. I reused those 3 years ago, and remarkably, they didn't seem much worse for wear when I took them out this weekend. However, they had 160k miles on them, so it was time.

If you don't go the spring compressor route, (and there's no need to), use Blackonyx's PDF for the procedure and great pics, but I've found that bending the plate down and shoving a big socket in there after only removing the 4 rear 19mm bolts works great. Search for Motorcarman's pic of this.

One last observation having done it twice now in the driveway. First time took me all day. Second time, 4 hours.

Old 10-04-2017 | 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by kp98xj8
...don't forget to use threadlock on the top nuts. My left side worked itself off.
Hi kp98xj8,

That is very curious! Typically the new shocks come with new Nyloc lock nuts with nylon inserts that do a good job of preventing the nuts from vibrating off and are not supposed to require threadlocker. The old nuts should not be reused, since they lose some of their grip once they've been removed. Did your Sensen shocks come with new nuts, or did you reuse the old ones?

Cheers,

Don

Old 10-04-2017 | 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
The replacement seal kit for the suspension compressor is $ 45 or 65 as it is a teflon seal that wears out . Easy to reseal yourself . Has a video on his website on how to do it.
Hi Lady P,

The OP's car is a '98 XJR, so I don't think he will have to worry about an air suspension compressor....

Cheers,

Don

Lady Penelope (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017 | 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Did your Sensen shocks come with new nuts, or did you reuse the old ones?
Funny you should ask. Just took my son to school this morning and what did I find in my driveway? The offending top nut, or one of them anyway. No Nyloc ring.

Note to self: Clean up better next time.

I can assure you I used the new nuts that came with the Sensens 3 years ago. That is something everyone who chooses these as replacements should look for when they take them out of the box I guess. Not sure if I was a victim of a manufacturer anomoly or what, but ultimately I paid the price of a do-over 3 years later.

Maybe the other side had a Nyloc nut and I just didn't notice this one didn't. That is bugging me now, but the old shocks (and nut) went out with yesterday's trash... guess I'll never know.

The moral of the story kids is this: Nyloc top nuts are your friends. And don't do drugs. And don't run with scissors.