XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm a newly joined member. I just bought my first Jaguar about three weeks ago, 2000 Jaguar XJR 101,000 miles silver in color black interior for $3,900. It had full service records. It showed timing chain tensioners had been replaced twice, head gasket, throttle body gaskets, new supercharger (80,000 mi), and various other things. Now upon purchasing the car I didn't realize or think of looking up a Jaguar purchase list. Which after purchase I seen you guys had one and that would have gave me way more ammo for bargaining. The check engine light was on before I bought the car, of course it is, he said something was wrong with the supercharger but the car ran perfect quiet and smooth. Driving down the road you would get the lovely restricted performance, hit the clear button slow down about 20mph and the light would come on for the remainder of the drive no matter the distance. This would happen with every start.

So a little research and finding this forum I took the plunge. I want one, these are the best looking car known to mankind. So first thing scanned the check light got EVAP large leaked, fixed that immediately with a smoke test. Next the dreaded LEAN bank 1 & 2. I found numerous threads about this, waiting on new MAF sensor.

Next I needed to replace all four front ball joints, what a nightmare. Thanks to this forum I got it all done in one day. About 9 hours, but now that I've done it I'm certain I could do it in about 4 hours or less.

If I had seen this purchase list before I bought the car I would've noticed the extreme rote behind the two front tires. I looked under the car but I should've brought ramps and inspected it. Car is showing the hole is about 5 inch long by 1 inch both sides. This is a bummer.

Now the problem that I can't figure out is the Trac Off button does not work. I took out all four wheel sensor and cleaned them and put a very light file to them to resurface them. There is no message about the traction control not working....

I was very nervous about buying a Jaguar, they are to beautiful and I've always wanted one. But finding this forum I am very confident in owning this vehicle. I am very mechanically inclined and have full set of tools. Maybe missing a specialty tool but that is only one purchase away upon needing it.

I would like to say thanks to all for helping me in the future. I am not worthy compared to some of you Avos, Xkracer, H20boy. I know I missed many more knowledgable Jag Techs. Again thank you.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi XFlossinX Welcome to the forum. I am a new member also.
I am glad that you like your XJR it is a beautiful car.
Good luck

Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Welcome, XFlossinX:

Congrats on the purchase and greetings from the state next door. Sounds like you've found a good car overall. Many of the regular issues have been addressed; and since it sounds like you are pretty handy with a wrench, the rest shouldn't cause too much concern! Another nice thing is, as I understand it, the "R" versions of the car don't have the same transmission concerns. Otherwise, do a little rust repair and hey - for 3900 bucks, you've got an amazing car. Sure beats a beat up old Taurus for the same coin!

Enjoy the ride and the forum,
Scott

Old 05-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
Welcome, XFlossinX:

Congrats on the purchase and greetings from the state next door. Sounds like you've found a good car overall. Many of the regular issues have been addressed; and since it sounds like you are pretty handy with a wrench, the rest shouldn't cause too much concern! Another nice thing is, as I understand it, the "R" versions of the car don't have the same transmission concerns. Otherwise, do a little rust repair and hey - for 3900 bucks, you've got an amazing car. Sure beats a beat up old Taurus for the same coin!

Enjoy the ride and the forum,
Scott
Exactly! Congrats!! Every time I think I may sell the Jag...even if I could get 8-9k, what could you buy for the same amount with the style,power, ride and exclusivity? For 3900, you could spend quite a bit n still be far ahead.

Chris

Old 05-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the XJR! It's an addiction with no cure!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm realizing that. I've wanted one for a very long time, so my vehicle died 1998 Jeep grand Cherokee straight six 253,000 miles. And I found this car local he was asking $5k and with some sly bartering and a weeks wait bam. You're exactly right there nothing I could get with this much luxury and power AND look. Constantly drawing attention to myself now with this sexy cat

Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2000 xjr favorite car I have ever owned. It is also the biggest pain in my *** I have ever owned!

Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Welcome!

I've had 4 Jags, two Series 3's, and X300 XJR, and my current X308 XJR.
They have all been giant pains in the ***

All cars have their quirks... Treat them well, and you'll get at least 10 months of amazing motoring for every 2 it spends off the road, burning a hole in your bank account

The following users liked this post:
Erronsam (05-27-2014)