XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New member, Climate control questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, Climate control questions

Hi all,
I'm a new owner for a 1998 Daimler Super V8 (4.0L supercharged X308 RHD as I'm in the UK), and new to this forum too. I registered yesterday, and whilst I've researched on this site many times, I'm not really familiar with posting on user forums, so please forgive me for my mistakes during my learning process.
My 308 has many issues and from my research pretty much all of the known Jag issues for this type of car. However, I wish to restrict this particular post to the climate control system. In short, the heater only blows hot air, none of the airflow adjuster flaps (blend flaps?) appear to operate at all. There is no gas in the Air Con system and the Climate Control self test shows issues with low gas (code 23), cool air bypass motor fault (code 43), Center Vent Motor fault (code 45) and Foot Vent Motor fault (code 46). The blower appears to operate OK. So, I believe that there are basically 2 issues here: 1, the heater water diverter valve is not working, hence only hot air, and 2, there is an issue with the electronic control of the blend flap motors. My questions are:
Would the fact that there is no air con gas in the system give rise to any of the issues I'm seeing other - than the code 23 on climate control self test?
Is there a way to check the operation of the heater control panel without swapping it for a replacement?
Given that none of the airflow control blend flaps appear to work, do we think that this is most likely due to a Climate Control ECU fault or a fault in the operator control panel?
Lastly, I believe that the heater water diverter valve will be mounted on the bulkhead near to the heater matrix, but looking under the bonnet, I can't even see it, let alone remove it. Do I need to remove a lot of components before I can see and access it?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Ken.

Old 05-10-2024, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 867 Posts

Ken, not having any refrigerant (gas) in the system won’t have any effect on the operation of the blend doors or the heater system.

Did you get these codes from the climate control display or do you have a separate scanner that you plugged in to get the codes?

Did the previous owner give you any information pertaining to what may have happened to the blend door situation?

Old 05-10-2024, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Addicted2Boost,
Thanks for the swift reply. I got the codes from the climate control display after initiating the system self test. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of the heater issues when I bought the car and it wasn't mentioned by the previous owner. I also didn't realise that there was a self test function otherwise I would have run it before buying the car.
Cheers,