XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New owner - ASC and stalling problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner - ASC and stalling problems

Hello all,

New owner here with a couple of problems:

1) Last night I was playing with a few of the controls in the car, the ignition was on but the engine was off. I then started the car and the ASC & TCS amber light came on with the warning message. A short drive around, stop and re-start and the problem went away. I have read that this could be caused by low battery voltage, but I wasn't playing with the electrics for more than a couple of minutes.

2) The other night, driving home, the engine stalled at a steady 60 mph. Stopped the car, into park and it re-started no problems - has been fine since.

Ah ha! (I thought) it's the throttle body, I rang Jaguar and it was replaced on my car as part of service action S514 on the 25th Nov 2004. So, the question is this, does it need replacing again or is it another problem altogether?

Thoughts and comments welcome guys, it's a '98 XJR with 92k on the clock.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 AM

Mods - please can you move this to the XJ8 & XJR forum.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 AM

Doing some research I wonder if my two problems are linked:

This was on the floowing thread

"I was planning to start buying sensors, harnesses, module etc., but decided to unplug TPS plug on driver side of TB. It was late so I pulled it about 1/8 and decided to push it back on and deal with it later. When I turned ignition on next a.m., all problems disappeared. The degeneration of the tin to gold plug reported in the TSB on the appears to have been the cause. It makes sense when you think about how Trac control works....physical movement of car throws off degenerating prongs on plug. No problems on several drives...I will pick up gold to gold repair kit fm Jag ($14.50). Traction control is part of ABS anti-skid set-up. When I pushed plug on connection probably improved enough to cure problems....TPS sensor syncs braking with throttle to prevent skids and control traction. If you don't start here you could waste lots of money and wind up hating the car..... "

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=39104&page=2

Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts
Default ASC and Stalling

Sounds like you are on to something. It's worth a try for $14.50. You might as well do a good cleaning of the throttle body while you're at it. Check out the archives on that. I'm sure there are a bunch of posts.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I DID have the TPS connector corrosion issues, but symptoms were different from yours.

I had occasional strange feel to the accelerator (just didn't feel like a change in accel pedal was generating an equivalent change in throttle position), and then began having uncommanded acceleration events, usually when at near idle in a parking lot, followed within a second or so by Limp Mode and scrolling of error messages from ABS, TRAC, GEARBOX, among others. No CEL or codes were thrown until, perhaps, the 10th occurrence, and it was (don't remember number) 'TPS sensor voltage out of range' - to parphrase.

Unplugging the connector, cleaning both halves with Radio Shack terminal cleaner and lubricant (made for old style TV tuners) has eliminated the problem for more than 9 months now.

Can't hurt to try it in your case, but as said, the symptoms were a bit different.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 08-05-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:35 AM

Thanks for your responses guys!

A bit more info on the ASC fault: If I drive home from work (about an hour or so) park up and then about 2 hours later turn the car on I get the fault. Take it for a short drive (less than 5 minutes) stop and re-start it goes away. If I then leave it overnight it'll be fine in the morning.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know(?) this problem reminds me of this one...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=40221

Just a thought, but what size tires are on your car?

Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 AM

All the same size tyres.

I've cleaned the throttle body and will see how it goes, will update with progress.