XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New Owner, with (surprise) a couple problems. :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Yuk! More like a leak of wee. Time to do the octopus hose
maybe, Waterdragon would be the best man to diagnose and talk to being an hour away and been there several times (says something in itself)
3:19 What I believe to be the source of a VERY long term leak - coolant to the intercooler"
You probably mean the supercharger.
But it is an XJR !

Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

But it's an intercooled supercharger.

Is that what that hose is called? This morning, armed with new knowledge, I went and put a few hard miles on the car then popped the hood for an inspection. Sure enough, the underside of the coolant hose to the driver's side was damp. I've got that to take care of ASAP. I didn't check the union at the back of the motor, as it was quite hot down there and I was dressed nicely. Even if there is a leak there, it's obviously nothing compared to the one on top!

I downloaded the JTIS and got it up and running (on my dedicated "why is all automotive software mired in Windows XP" laptop), but is there any sort of similar software for finding Jaguar part numbers? I've found having access to those invaluable when ordering parts - when you rattle off a bunch of part numbers folks at parts counters assume you're a jobber and give you a deal.

I'm not prepared to do it yet, but I fully intend on pulling the supercharger off so I can clean up down there. Seems like I should address known problems before inventing new ones, though.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:16 PM

Found the EPC - and man, do its parts diagrams SUCK.

I think what I'm looking for is this hose:

Jaguar RADIATOR HOSE BOTTOM, SUPERCHARGER TO INTERCOOLER - MNC4519AE

The alternative is Uro part which is less than half the price. Has anyone used that part? IME Uro hoses are close approximations to the factory ones, but never quite the same.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

No, I have not used that part, but I have used other URO hoses (upper and lower radiator hoses) with excellent results.

Rock Auto Parts stocks quality parts and sells the URO (Part # MNC4519AE) Radiator Coolant Hose, Lower for $42.79 plus $9.99 shipping to Sacamento CA.
Total almost $53 -delivery 2 to 3 days (they are located in Madison Wisconsin).

Jag dealership - gaudinjaguarparts.com (Las Vegas) sell it for a discounted price of $89 plus $15 shipping (total $104).
Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 07-18-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

You are definitely going to have to remove the super charger to have a better look and replace and attach new hoses.

I would recommend not driving the car until this is all sorted out.

My supercharger is currently off my car being rebuilt. I expect to have it back and the car on the road within 2 weeks. If you can wait that long, I could come visit you to help with the removal and replacement of hoses. This would give you time to get all the parts you will need too.

Jaguar of Livermore, CA has good prices if you order online, high prices if you call the order in.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Walter
The Livermore CA dealership online discounted price is $32 higher than the Las Vegas dealership before adding shipping.

Jim Lombardi

Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Yikes! Scratch one for WD prices.
I did not check them against Gaudin....my bad...

WD

Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 PM

The car is currently, and sadly, parked. I wish I'd known about the Livermore option, but I ended up calling in the order to jagbits early this morning. It'll cost a little extra, but Gary assured me the package would get sent today, so with any luck I will have it tomorrow and can do the work this weekend.

Plan is to replace the two hoses and refill with distilled water, then do a pressure test and see if there are any other leaks. If there are, all I've lost is some water.

Does anyone know what that thing at 1:02 is? I've looked at several pictures of AJs with the intake tract off, but I can't identify it. I'd just like to know if it's something that could leak coolant, or if it's got a ridge that coolant might follow & dry on. Sure seems like the latter, with the obvious waterfall right beside it. As for removing the supercharger, I am *really* not prepared to dismantle this engine right now - I've got an XR4Ti getting a new intercooler and a '67 Fleetwood undergoing a carburetor-ectomy in the garage right now. I need to wrap at least one of those up before engaging in any other major work!

Jim: When you've used the Uro lower rad hoses, do you replace the spring clamps with worm-gear clamps or...? Every time I've used a Uro hose the OD is completely wrong - likely on account of cheaper rubber that must be thicker - and the spring clamps simply don't work properly anymore. I'd considered using rockauto (you should see my rockauto magnet collection - it's awesome!) and taking a risk on the hoses, but their shipping times are so random I didn't want to rely on them. It's summer here in Sac - I'm gonna want my nice Jaguar AC ASAP.

Last edited by thesameguy; 07-18-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Walter
I have never ordered from Gaudin Jaguar online, but they usually have reasonable prices and shipping fees.

I have used Nalley Jaguar online (Roswell Ga - no longer in business). The parent company merged Nalley with North Point Land Rover.

Nalley gave a 15% discount, all you had to do is call and order any Jaguar parts and mention that you're a Jaguar Forums member, they also provided free shipping to lower 48 states on all parts over $25.

Nalley also had a jaguar dealership in Greenville NC and it still continues to operate as Jaguar of Greenville (they are offering the same pricing now as Nalley Ga was giving to the forum members).

I have been placing orders with Jaguar of Greenville (over the phone) - Good prices, free shipping, no problems or issues with them - placed orders in Oct, Nov last year and in Mar this year.

Jim Lombardi

The following users liked this post:
WaterDragon (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

I've been using WD as Water Dragon

My name is actually Jeff

Thanks for the good info on sources!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:39 PM

My rockauto magnet collection:

I've ordered a few things from them...

Attached Thumbnails New Owner, with (surprise) a couple problems. :)-rockautomagnets.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thesameguy
...but is there any sort of similar software for finding Jaguar part numbers?...
The Jaguar Classic Parts website run by the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (aka Jag themselves) has what appears to be the factory parts catalogue online.

Extremely useful.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hi thesameguy
I checked our Jaguar URO upper and lower radiator hoses. Apparently we had no problems reusing the original spring hose clamps. We purchased/installed the URO hoses from Rock Auto Parts in April 2011 and they still look brand new (original spring hose clamps still seem to be holding up well).
The Upper Radiator URO hose is part# MNC4505AD and URO Lower Radiator is MNC4515AD. Total cost was about $55 with 3 day express shipping from CA to CT.

Jim Lombardi

Old 07-19-2013, 06:59 PM

Good to know, thank you!

I have used them on my old Saab 900s without incident, but newer Saabs (9-3 and 9-5) have thin-walled, probably synthetic hoses whereas the Uro replacement are old-school, thick rubber - and then the spring clamps don't fit. Glad to know that isn't an issue on the XJ!

Old 07-20-2013, 12:10 AM

Got home, saw my box of hoses waiting and got to work dismantling. Once the system was drained and the old hoses off, I popped open the box and found that jagbits had sent me Uro hoses and charged me OEM prices. Very upset about that.

Even more upset that when ordering the hoses, I asked about a tee that the smaller of the two hoses I needed attached to, thinking it might be replaced while I was in there. "It's metal," I was told. Well, it's not, it's plastic and mine is broken. So not only do I not have the hoses I ordered, I will now be waiting for a plastic tee that I could have had included with this order. Grr.

That said, does anyone know the part number for the tee I am talking about? One branch is a small hose off to the throttle body, one branch goes towards the back of the car and has a large fuel line type clip on it, and the other branch goes forward into the valley of the engine. Any guesses on its name or part number would be appreciated.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Hi
Look at the parts diagram on this webpage:

By Pass Valve and Actuator-4.0 Litre-V8 Supercharged - Parts For XJ Series from (V)812317 to (V)F59525 (X308) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

It shows part diagram ref 10 & 16 - T-piece ---both have part# C15644

Jim Lombardi

Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 AM

The piece in question is more complicated than that. I think it might be this thing, but I can't tell. I haven't found a place that shows where in the car it goes. I found it through Google Image search. (Which is a blessing when finding obscure car parts).

Nne3944ba

Thank you for your help on this, um, journey!

Old 07-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Hi
Look at this Heater Pipes Feed and Return hose Diagram (item 8 -3 way connector):

Heater Pipes Feed and Return - Parts For XJ Series from (V)812317 to (V)F59525 (X308) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Jim Lombardi

Old 07-21-2013, 02:48 PM

Ah, yep, that seems like exactly the right placement!

Since it was my intention to fill the car with only distilled water to help flush out old coolant and so I could put it back together and pressure test it, yesterday I used some ABS epoxy to repair the fitting. It's a pretty typical steel tube with a plastic shell around it. The plastic cracked, so the hose barb was no longer attached to the tee allowing for a small leak. I epoxied the plastic back together and let it dry for a few hours while I installed the lower radiator hose.

When I went to install the Uro throttle body hose, I found it was easily 2" shorter than the factory hose. The molded curves were in the right place, but the legs post-curve were truncated. Terrible piece! I had some 1/4" (I think) silicone hose from my XR4Ti project in the garage, so I used it instead. Since the silicone is very pliable and I was able to cut it to a custom length, I was able to completely relieve stress on that plastic tee fitting... I still don't intend to use it for any length of time, but I'd still rather have it not fail outright. I was pretty pleased with the result.

I filled up with distilled water, went for a drive, and came back fully expecting the tee to have failed, but not a single drip! Unfortunately, the leak at the intercooler was STILL leaking. WTF?

As it turns out, the metal hose barb in the intercooler itself was the source of the leak! Somehow it had backed out of the intercooler and was dribbling coolant everywhere. Zero explanation. I removed it and was overjoyed to find it's a threaded fitting and not pressed it - I was expecting a JB Weld solution! I cleaned the threads and used some Permatex High Performance Liquid Thread Sealant on it, then put on an old hose to protect metal while I tightened it with some slip joint pliers.

I let it dry overnight, and this morning it seemed solidly installed. Replaced hoses, refilled, and will take it for another drive this afternoon. I am reasonably certain at this point this cars leaks are solved. For now.

... But I will report back this evening!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Persistence pays! Been following your thread. Good to see a result!

Quick Reply: New Owner, with (surprise) a couple problems. :)