XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New question:Replacing fuel line (mispost from yesterday) and having to say goodbye t

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 10:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New question:Replacing fuel line (mispost from yesterday) and having to say goodbye t

Good morning,
Not having a good feel for how this forum works, I added a new question to an old post ("replacing fuel line") and was told I needed to start a new thread. I am going to try to recapture all that I wrote, but if anyone is interested ,please see the last post on the old thread from me . Apparently, the most recent posts are not on top. Anyway, I am having continuing issues with a crank/slow/no start after a local mechanic replaced crankshaft sensor and fuel pump. When i picked the car after being told it as ready, it was a slow crank, but i managed to get it in my driveway before it shut down. I called the mechanic and he told me that he had to fix a kink in the gas line. When i asked him how that happened, he told me, it's an old car, parts get warm and stick together(???)and I could have hit something in the road. He offered to have the car towed to his shop and TRY to fix the kink or cut the line and replace with a plastic fitting. I would like to know if the plastic replacement on a fuel line sounds reasonable. The work is under warranty and if I can't get it to run, I'll have to sell it for salvage. it's a 2001 xj8 with 154,00 miles. Pictures are included in my posting under the old thread..

Old 09-14-2023, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,812 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Sorry if I added to your confusion. Since the line is being replaced under warranty it's just a matter of finding a used one. Try contacting Coventry West. They're in the Atlanta area and have a large inventory of Jag parts. Also look on the internet. I suppose it's possible to repair it with high pressure rubber fuel line or by patching in metal fuel line. But do remember: your mechanic screwed it up and is responsible for the repair.

Once you have the fuel line issue resolved I am willing to take a look at the car, bringing analytical gear that can address Jag codes. I'm obviously not very far from you.

As to selling the car, there are always buyers for southern cars but they are not very interested in ones with problems.

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (09-17-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by RJ237
Sorry if I added to your confusion. Since the line is being replaced under warranty it's just a matter of finding a used one. Try contacting Coventry West. They're in the Atlanta area and have a large inventory of Jag parts. Also look on the internet. I suppose it's possible to repair it with high pressure rubber fuel line or by patching in metal fuel line. But do remember: your mechanic screwed it up and is responsible for the repair.

Once you have the fuel line issue resolved I am willing to take a look at the car, bringing analytical gear that can address Jag codes. I'm obviously not very far from you.

As to selling the car, there are always buyers for southern cars but they are not very interested in ones with problems.
Thank you, RJ237,
Even though the work is under warranty, I guess I am NOT feeling confident about this local mechanic and I am not searching for the replacement part for him. I have to assume he knows where to get replacement parts. He told me that when he I usually take it to a specialty shop in Fayetteville, but it was closed when my car broke down.. The mechanic claimed that they could work on Jaguars when it was first towed to them, where he told me it was the cats. His most recent statement telling me that he didn't know how the fuel line got kinked was a bit suspect as one viewer opined that the shop may have caused it when they replaced the fuel pump. He basically told me that he was "through" after this final attempt to make the car right and will probably no doubt tell me that it is something else that has nothing to do with his work.. I didn't ask what he meant and although I am a pugilist by nature, I don't have the energy to get into a legal confrontation with him, not to mention, it will cost me more to have another shop evaluate his work.
As you might gather, I have an emotional attachment to this car and even if I never drive her again, I just don't want to leave her beside the road and let the vultures pick away at her. Maybe it's time to take the $273 and walk away.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,101 Likes on 845 Posts

RJ, sadly Coventry West is closed. That is very nice of you to offer to look at her car. 2 weekends ago I did the same thing for another Jaguar forum member that was in Savannah. It was only a 2 hour drive for me. Maybe I should come pick you up and we’ll head out to Gigi’s together and save the old gal (the car, not Gigi). 😂

Gigi, don’t give in just yet. I had asked where you lived in your other post (for which you responded and I did read it) just in case you weren’t terribly far away but, it’s roughly a 5 hour drive one way for me. I don’t doubt you have a kinked fuel line but, slow to crank sounds like a weak battery, starter or a battery cable loose, or otherwise.

Sean B (09-17-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 12:35 PM

LOL! both of us are "old gals", only difference is I'm still kicking (but not high!). I don't know about battery or starter, I would have thought the mechanic would have mentioned it there was a starter or battery issue, especially if that would have generated a new job.. I don't know if they fiddled with the battery when they were in the trunk to put in fuel pump, but I will go out and take a CAUTIOUS look at the cables.
Manny thanks!!

Old 09-14-2023, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 349 Posts

Yeah, I am with A2Boost on this one. A kinked fuel line would not cause the starter to slow down.
If you have a Walmart in the area they can check it for you and a new Battery from Walmart is probably
the cheapest solution for a 5 year battery. By the way, the Cat Converters salvage for almost $500.

Last edited by RandyS; 09-14-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,562 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by gigi2020
LOL! both of us are "old gals", only difference is I'm still kicking (but not high!). I don't know about battery or starter, I would have thought the mechanic would have mentioned it there was a starter or battery issue, especially if that would have generated a new job.. I don't know if they fiddled with the battery when they were in the trunk to put in fuel pump, but I will go out and take a CAUTIOUS look at the cables.
Manny thanks!!
Looking at the cables may confirm or eliminate them as problematic but that won’t help assess the condition of the battery.

My XZR has been my daily driver since being picked up just over 16 months ago. Touch wood she has been completely problem free and “glitch” free and I have every confidence that will continue which is saying something for a 23 year old car (her Series 3 predecessor was a decade older and also a reliable daily driver for 15 years).

Having said both of the above things, I will echo the sensitivity of these cars to the condition of their battery and their electronics being “hard” on their battery. I have a CTEK battery tender that I don’t use every day but will plug in every month or so and even though the car is well used, most of that is shorter trips and it will still take a day to condition the battery and bring it to a full charge.

As your car is not running, it might be difficult for you to take the battery out and have it tested but if you are an AMA member they may be able to test it where it is. Here in Alberta, they can also sell and deliver and install a new one if needed. If neither of those things is an option, perhaps you can borrow a trickle charger to see if you can get a full charge?

All of the other trouble shooting assumes/requires a healthy battery so you might want to start there. Even if that doesn’t resolve everything, you will at least have confirmed it’s something else.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2023, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Cantor
Looking at the cables may confirm or eliminate them as problematic but that won’t help assess the condition of the battery.

My XZR has been my daily driver since being picked up just over 16 months ago. Touch wood she has been completely problem free and “glitch” free and I have every confidence that will continue which is saying something for a 23 year old car (her Series 3 predecessor was a decade older and also a reliable daily driver for 15 years).

Having said both of the above things, I will echo the sensitivity of these cars to the condition of their battery and their electronics being “hard” on their battery. I have a CTEK battery tender that I don’t use every day but will plug in every month or so and even though the car is well used, most of that is shorter trips and it will still take a day to condition the battery and bring it to a full charge.

As your car is not running, it might be difficult for you to take the battery out and have it tested but if you are an AMA member they may be able to test it where it is. Here in Alberta, they can also sell and deliver and install a new one if needed. If neither of those things is an option, perhaps you can borrow a trickle charger to see if you can get a full charge?

All of the other trouble shooting assumes/requires a healthy battery so you might want to start there. Even if that doesn’t resolve everything, you will at least have confirmed it’s something else.

Good luck!
Thank you! I purchased this battery new in April 2022 and it has a 3 year warranty on it. I may have a friend take it out and have it checked where I bought it.

Old 09-14-2023, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

If you don't use the car often the battery should be on a maintainer, a small charger. It may be the battery needs charging, and I wouldn't expect you to replace it if you're not sure you will be keeping the car. Check with your neighbors and see if someone has a battery charger that you can borrow.

Old 09-14-2023, 04:01 PM

Many thanks! I was advised years ago that jags don't like to sit idle. and to start/drive the car daily, which I had done 9even during the covid lockdown) until this situation arose mid-June. Since that time, it has basically been sitting at the shop, although the mechanic told me he started it every day. I will contact a friend and have him take the battery back where I purchased it for replacement or charging. It would be a miracle if this is the problem!!

Old 09-15-2023, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,101 Likes on 845 Posts

Gigi, *before* you try to start the car next time, make absolutely sure you have the headlights, climate control and radio in the off position. It’s about having maximum voltage and amperage going to the starter and the least amount of load on the alternator to try and keep it running. After you get the battery replaced or charged then reinstalled, turn the key on (don’t try to start) and make sure you have at least a quarter tank of gas or more. If it’s very close or on E, get some gas in it before you try to start it. If the engine starts up and can idle on its own, let it run for at least 5 minutes. Report back here.

Old 09-15-2023, 10:34 AM

Good morning, Addicted2boost! Thank you for your advice. I will do as you suggested, but I have to hit the PAUSE button until Sunday/Monday when a friend can take my battery out to have it checked. This issue is causing me to ruminate TOO much and I definitely have other things to do---like falling in love with my new Honda Accord!! LOL
I will keep posting until the end (whatever that will be). Have a great weekend!

Old 09-23-2023, 08:50 PM
Default Update (9/23/23)

As noted from my post of 9/15/23, my postings are on PAUSE until I hear from the mechanic. The car was towed to his shop on 9/20 and he has not gotten around to either a diagnostic or repair.

Old 09-24-2023, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

I assume you did not have the battery load tested. I'm sure the shop will not be in a hurry to correct the mistake they made.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:11 PM

Good afternoon, RJ237,
Unfortunately, I was unable to find anyone to help me tinker with the battery. You are probably correct, I have not heard from the mechanic since the car was towed there on 9/20. Since the shop is close, I will go there in person on Wednesday.(SHUDDER!!)

RJ237 (09-25-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 09:54 AM

Good afternoon, RJ237,
Unfortunately, I was unable to find anyone to help me tinker with the battery. You are probably correct, I have not heard from the mechanic since the car was towed there on 9/20. Since the shop is close, I will go there in person on Wednesday.(SHUDDER!!)
Good morning: Just an update, which is really no update. Car still at shop from 9/20. Mechanic took fuel line off and says he is waiting for replacement parts. .. and I wait!!!

Old 10-05-2023, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Good morning: Just an update, which is really no update. Car still at shop from 9/20. Mechanic took fuel line off and says he is waiting for replacement parts. .. and I wait!!!
“waiting for replacement parts…”

I think they teach that line in mechanic’s school.

It wouldn’t be so bad if they were only allowed to use it once per visit as opposed to “We finally got “a” but now we need a “b” which once installed identified a need for a new “c” and then…”.

I suppose it’s my own fault when the daily driver is 23 years old and her stablemate is 32 years old. I have no idea when they got that old but I have no idea when I got this old either so I suppose we’re even.

Old 10-05-2023, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Cantor
“waiting for replacement parts…”

I think they teach that line in mechanic’s school.

It wouldn’t be so bad if they were only allowed to use it once per visit as opposed to “We finally got “a” but now we need a “b” which once installed identified a need for a new “c” and then…”.

I suppose it’s my own fault when the daily driver is 23 years old and her stablemate is 32 years old. I have no idea when they got that old but I have no idea when I got this old either so I suppose we’re even.
Old is just a state of mind. Live life to the fullest extent possible, no matter what your age.

Old 10-05-2023, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RandyS
Old is just a state of mind. Live life to the fullest extent possible, no matter what your age.
Thanks RandyS!

I'm doing what I can in that regard (or at least doing what I'm allowed to ).

Old 10-05-2023, 07:50 PM

Ken, truer words have never been spoken about the "Excuses for Dollars" game some mechanics play! Even though I'm beyond annoyed, I had to laugh when I read your post. It also gives me a glimmer of hope that you still have your "girls" and still driving the 23 year old on a daily basis! I hope you continue to enjoy them for a long, long, long time!

Ken Cantor (10-05-2023)

Quick Reply: New question:Replacing fuel line (mispost from yesterday) and having to say goodbye t