XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New question:Replacing fuel line (mispost from yesterday) and having to say goodbye t

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,562 Likes on 838 Posts

Thanks gigi2020 - I hope so too!

And to be fair to my cars and to my mechanic, I have been taking my Jaguars to him for 17 years now with no complaints on his work or what he charges me. Prior to the ‘01 XJR, there was a much loved second ‘92 Series 3 VDP that was my daily driver for 15 years so I suppose the proof really is in the pudding.

I hope you get your Jag back in the condition you deserve!

Old 10-12-2023, 02:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good afternoon!
Good news!!I got my car back yesterday evening and she is starting and running like her old self. I only drove her a few miles yesterday and just started her this morning. so far, so good. The mechanic told me that he fixed her "out of the goodness of his heart, because it wasn't warranty work". He said problem was a bent fuel line and worn hose , however, he said his shop did not cause the problem. I won't speculate on why his shop did not see this problem when the replaced--not 1, but 2 new fuel pumps (Apparently, the first fuel pump replaced (Delphi brand) was faulty).
He also told me there was an oil leak on the right gasket cover. I had a complete valve cover gasket repair done in Nov. 2022. I will need to take it back to have the problem looked at before the warranty work expires in Nov.
After that, the next step is to figure out how to place her for sale on this forum and also advertise on Craigslist. If any of you have any suggestions for other sites that cater to Jag lovers looking for a decent old Jag , please advise. I hope this request doesn't break any of the Forum rules!
Many thanks for allowing me to vent and ask questions over these last few months. Your advice and support kept me sane (and laughing) as I went through this tedious process!

Old 10-12-2023, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,812 Likes on 2,242 Posts

At the top left of the page you will see the word "Forums". Put the cursor on that and near the bottom is Jaguar Classifieds. You can start a sale listing there.

I have bought and sold several cars on Craigslist. It is not a good idea to meet potential buyers at you home. The best place is the local law enforcement parking lot, same when you close the sale. And do not take a check, deal in cash.

Good luck, RJ

Old 10-12-2023, 05:51 PM

Thanks, RJ237. Excellent guidance and advice!

Old 10-12-2023, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

gigi2020,

If there is a Jaguar Club or a British Car Club in your area, they may allow to advertise in their newsletter want ads even without being a member.

Their members will also be “predisposed” in favour of our cars, particularly if it’s well documented regardless of its condition (the unknowns are always a bigger concern than the knowns).

They may be able to assist you in pricing it to sell without underpricing it.

Good luck!

Old 10-12-2023, 07:02 PM

Thanks, Ken!
Funny, as much as I have enjoyed my car over these last 19 years, I never sought out a Jag Club. She and I just drove around in our own little world and "roared" at other jags on the road. I only found out about this forum after I had questions about some mechanical issues with her and I just "googled.' This forum always came up in the search results, and I read posts from time to time, but only joined this April.
Long story short, no I haven't looked, but will do so and hope I can get some assistance as you suggested. I'm sure there must be one in the Atlanta, Ga area near me.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,101 Likes on 845 Posts

*Incoming rant* “From the goodness of their heart..” What a great way to abscond yourself from any wrongdoing when you darn well know you yanked the tank rearward, smashed the fuel lines without disconnecting them underneath first and without a care in the world just to quickly replace the pump and drop kick the car and the customer out the door and down the road! *rant over*!! 🤣🤣

Gigi, I can’t say I’ve met too many businesses that would tell the customer that the passenger valve cover gasket that they replaced in November of last year are already leaking and are under warranty. If you have the receipt for the valve cover gaskets last year, look to see if they have 28 bolt seal washers (14 per side), 8 spark plug tube seals (4 on each side), 2 VVT seals (1 on each side) and 2 valve cover gaskets (1 on each side). If they don’t have the 28 bolt seal washers on the receipt, I’d say that’s more than likely why it’s leaking. Those new bolt seals are vital for keeping adequate downward pressure on the valve cover to prevent leaks. Sorry to get so technical, I just want to inform you is all.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (10-13-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 08:10 PM

Thanks, Addicted2 Boost!
ou did my rant for me. I was trying not too be defamatory in my post!
Clarification: I got the valve gasket cover work done at another shop in Nov 2022. In mid-June, when I started this process of getting my crank-no start issue corrected, there was a small leak around the right vvt solenoid seal. I do have the receipt for the work and all the parts you listed were included. There were 28 "valve cover seal washers" (Part NCA25775CA). Is that the same as bolt seal washers? I checked the car yesterday and there was a bit of wetness around the vvt solenoid seal, so it has to go back for a 2nd warranty repair job before November..
Technical is good, Maybe I will be a jag mechanic in my next life! (lol)

Old 12-23-2023, 06:46 PM

Hello everyone,
I promised I would provide an update on my car. I drove her for about a month and she seems to be back to her usual self. As luck (or bad luck) would have it, a family friend needed a car rather immediately. So, I sold her and as far as I know, she is still running fine. The good news is that I get to see her from time to time and I didn't have to deliver her to the junk yard!. The bad news is that I will miss driving her and will probably never sit in a Jaguar again!
Thanks to all who listened, offered advice to help me work through my issues with her!
MERRY CHRISTMANS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!​​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

I’m happy to read you reached a happy ending all things considered! Best of the season and for 2024.