XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New throttle body and now check-engine + restricted-performance/limp-home mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
No different codes. Failed initial TB was P1122 (pedal position sensor - low) and that unit worked 99% of the time fine but would occasionally go into performance restricted mode while driving without any obvious pre-warning (dangerous on the highway).

First remanufactured replacement installed had idled at 4,000 rpm so pulled that out without checking codes.

Now the second remanufactured TB is installed and idles at 1200rpm (a bit high but okay) but is stuck in performance restricted mode with code p1229 "Electronic throttle control circuit" (if I clear it, it just comes back as an active-code when I start the car again). I unplugged and sprayed the plug ends with compressed-air and replugged (no difference). There is zero visible corrosion on them (like new actually, just a bit dusty).

If I remove the "breather-tube" and have the car in ACC (electric-on but not running) and press the throttle, the butterfly is supposed to open right? (it does not move).
The P1229 code means that the throttle motor (or stepper motor), is probably not connected (or right).

So the ECU is then not able to adjust the idle as the relax butterfly opening is slightly more than for the normal 600 rpm. It then tries to control the engine rpm via fuel control, so it will not idle nice, and will be normal behavior.

Can you do a test?;
Have someone look at the TB butterfly when you turn the ignition on. At that time the ECU will check the TB by closing the butterfly. If nothing happens, there is a power failure of some sort, and the ECU will then stop trying to control the TB butterfly (so you can move the butterfly/and will not hear the motor anymore.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:03 AM
Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

I just re-read all the posts and now have the names down, a little. For some reason, I thought that the original problem was for an '00 engine, but it's really for an '02. So, this TB that I have wouldn't have worked anyway. But, if there's someone out there that needs a TB for an AJ26 SC engine, I have a very slightly used new one that's been sitting in my garage, in a nice plastic bag, since December of '03. That's when I crashed and totalled out my '98 XJR after putting the new TB on a month before.

BTW, from my first post last weekend ... I replaced the hoses on my purge system and the car runs really good. I had to make new hoses from 3/4-inch fuel line, since I couldn't locate OEM replacements, other than having to buy the whole pieces for an outrageous price. Cost me $32 for hose and clamps. So, if anyone is having intermittent check engine lights and a P1443 code (I think), check those hoses. Mine were so bad that the outer covering was crumbling.

Sean B - you mentioned that you have a full Paramount exhaust? Does that include the headers and Cats? If so, send a picture ...

Have a good day and a good weekend !!

Another BTW, my real name is Mark

Old 02-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
So the ECU is then not able to adjust the idle as the relax butterfly opening is slightly more than for the normal 600 rpm. It then tries to control the engine rpm via fuel control, so it will not idle nice, and will be normal behavior.

Sounds exactly like what is going on at the moment with my car

Originally Posted by avos
Can you do a test?
Have someone look at the TB butterfly when you turn the ignition on. At that time the ECU will check the TB by closing the butterfly. If nothing happens, there is a power failure of some sort, and the ECU will then stop trying to control the TB butterfly (so you can move the butterfly/and will not hear the motor anymore.
Now I am confused, that does not seem to match what the previous posts said While the car is on/ACC but not running, the butterfly should open-and-close with a change in the throttle. At rest the butterfly always seems to be closed (car on or off), is that normal? I never tried moving the butterfly by hand, I assumed it would de-calibrate the stepper motor.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

You only need to look at what the butterfly is doing when you turn on the ignition.

If the ECU has detected an error (which P1229 clearly is), it will not power the stepper motor anymore. In this situation you can move the butterfly, but I am not saying you should, it was merely to to say that it is normal behaviour that in this situation the butterfly will not move.

So have someone look at the butterfly, turn on the ignition (nothing else, so don’t even push the pedal), and look what the butterfly does.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Third one is the charm - wooooot! Drives beautifully, idles nicely at around 800rpm cold and 600 at normal operating-temp.

Need to put some miles on it now and really confirm that it is working, if so, bought some strap-ties to adjust the throttle cable (which still has some slack in it.)

Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

Very good!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Kudos to you! Back on the road again.