XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New used crank in original block.bearing questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 06:30 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

It may be within factory specs but I would always have it at least polished when used with new shells, just good practice but at the end of the day you can do what ever you want

Old 12-31-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phanc60844
It may be within factory specs but I would always have it at least polished when used with new shells, just good practice but at the end of the day you can do what ever you want
yea ill probably end up getting the used crank and have it polished. I have a feeling my old cranks rod bearings were melted to the journals

Old 12-31-2016, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Dang Jrp79, I didn't know you were that close. I juat left Napa an hour ago after taking the wife wine tasting for the day.
I'm concerned that you lost 3 sets of rod bearings. What I understand that loosing a rod is not that common on our engines. Even if you lost 1 set that might be possible, but to loose three at the same time I think something else is going on. Was the engine to your knowledge ever syarvef of oil? Does the crank or rods look like they got hot? What do the pistons and cylinder walls look like?
If this engine was oil starved it could have caused significant damage to the rest lf the engine making it not worth while to repair.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by BobRoy
Dang Jrp79, I didn't know you were that close. I juat left Napa an hour ago after taking the wife wine tasting for the day.
I'm concerned that you lost 3 sets of rod bearings. What I understand that loosing a rod is not that common on our engines. Even if you lost 1 set that might be possible, but to loose three at the same time I think something else is going on. Was the engine to your knowledge ever syarvef of oil? Does the crank or rods look like they got hot? What do the pistons and cylinder walls look like?
If this engine was oil starved it could have caused significant damage to the rest lf the engine making it not worth while to repair.
the cylinder walls have cross hairs still on all of them.pistons have tge normal carbon deposits. Rods look normal and the crank looks normal.the pick up screen was clogged with plastic deposits so im sure it was starving for oil.someone at some point replaced the timing chains and one tensioner cause the chains had no slack but never replaced the guides as there were bad but I have all the updated timing set with tensioners and metal body guides.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:54 PM

ive also read that the pick up screen will get clogged if the guides arent replaced within a certain time.this car has 170k miles

Old 12-31-2016, 06:59 PM

Dang Jrp79, I didn't know you were that close.
Where about are you

Old 12-31-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in Sacramento. Are you viewing this site in mobile or full site. On my post it shows where I'm from. It will show up on full site.
I might also suggest you put where you are from and in your signature state the year and model of your car. In my signature it shows my Jaguars and that I have 3 donor cars that I'm parting out.

It sounds like your engine might be OK, but I don't know about tbe crank. Having a rod banging on it without a bearing doesn't sound good to where it might only need polishing. But have it checked out to see what it will take to bring it to specs.

If you don't have a machine shop nearby I have one I used a couple of times here in Sac. I was happy with their work. We also have several members in the bay area that might know of good machine shops.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:53 PM

I'm in Sacramento. Are you viewing this site in mobile or full site. On my post it shows where I'm from. It will show up on full site.
I might also suggest you put where you are from and in your signature state the year and model of your car. In my signature it shows my Jaguars and that I have 3 donor cars that I'm parting out.

It sounds like your engine might be OK, but I don't know about tbe crank. Having a rod banging on it without a bearing doesn't sound good to where it might only need polishing. But have it checked out to see what it will take to bring it to specs.

If you don't have a machine shop nearby I have one I used a couple of times here in Sac. I was happy with their work. We also have several members in the bay area that might know of good machine shops.
im in ga.block is fine.just have to check out the crank real good and check the rods.ill take a closer look tomorrow and decide about if I want the other crank.but as of now I plan on getting at least 3 rods.would you happen to know if I can use any rod from 98-03 xjr-xj8 regardless of the # cylinder the rod came from?

Old 01-01-2017, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry about the misunderstanding of your location. When you mentioned napa I thought it was the town of napa, not the parts store.

I did a quick searh and what I found is that the rods are the same until 02. All the rods are the same but they are installed in one direction.

The part # I found is NCA1610BAE.
Refresh me. What is the model and year of your car.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:57 AM

Sorry about the misunderstanding of your location. When you mentioned napa I thought it was the town of napa, not the parts store.

I did a quick searh and what I found is that the rods are the same until 02. All the rods are the same but they are installed in one direction.

The part # I found is NCA1610BAE.
Refresh me. What is the model and year of your car.
Yea I know the rods have a small and large end machined on the side of where the bearing goes.I have the engine course, the engine rebuild guide and the repair manual on the car.
Cars a 98 xjr

Old 01-01-2017, 12:17 PM

Cranks out and first 3 rods spun the bearings.Cranks not repairable. So im getting the used crank and 3 used rods.can someone explain how I go about fitting the bearings for the new crank.im getting new main and rod bearings. I think I know how but want to clear it up to be sure.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

You need the code from the new crank. You will also need the codes on the new rods. You can't order them until you have this information.

Look at the flex plate end of your bad crank. There should be a set of 5 letters and a set of 4 letters. This is the code you need from your new crank. There should be a letter on each rod. Then you will need the code from your block. It should be 8 numbers and then a set of 5 letters.

Get this info then I'll help you figure out the sizes.

Was the crank your getting have any machine work done. If it has been reground the code is no longer of any use. Each journal will have to be measured.

Last edited by BobRoy; 01-01-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:29 PM

You need the code from the new crank. You will also need the codes on the new rods. You can't order them until you have this information.

Look at the flex plate end of your bad crank. There should be a set of 5 letters and a set of 4 letters. This is the code you need from your new crank. There should be a letter on each rod. Then you will need the code from your block. It should be 8 numbers and then a set of 5 letters.

Get this info then I'll help you figure out the sizes.

Was the crank your getting have any machine work done. If it has been reground the code is no longer of any use. Each journal will have to be measured.
the new crank is factory and the motor had 120xxx miles on it.are the codes gonna be on the rods I get or do I have to find out from the block

Old 01-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

Post deleted. Wrong information.

Last edited by BobRoy; 01-02-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:08 PM

Bob you been great on explaining things.I looked at my crank and the only numbers I see are casted into it like rf96jv-ac which is the part number and 3 da 50791 which im not sure what that is.wouldnt it be better if I took the mic to all the crank journals then went to the charts?

Old 01-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Yes you can. I haven't got this far on our engines but I understand that the code is on the flex plate end of the crank.

You can use your old crank to practice but you need the journal sizes of your new crank to get the proper bearings.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:29 PM

Can I Use A Crank From A Lincoln Ls 3.9 With The Same Part Number

Old 01-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

No!!!!! Not every crank is exactly the same you have to have the measurements for the one that you are putting into your engine. Is the person you're buying the crank form also supplying the bearings?

Old 01-01-2017, 10:35 PM

No!!!!! Not every crank is exactly the same you have to have the measurements for the one that you are putting into your engine. Is the person you're buying the crank form also supplying the bearings?
Its just the crank.hes selling it to me for 330 shipped

Old 01-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

He will have to get the code or measurements for you or you will have to wait until you get it. If it was me and he can't find the crank code I would wait and do the measurements myself.