XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New, used Jaguar owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New, used Jaguar owner

Hi,
Due to economy impacts I had to sell my much loved newer BMW 5 series. I needed to find a used car under 10k and came across this 2001 Jaguar Vanden Plas with only 73000km on it. No accidents and one owner. Not a scratch, new tires and you could eat off the engine.

I got in and took it for a test drive and I was sold! I cannot believe how well this nine year old car drives. These cars sure are well built...no creeks or driving noise. And more power than I know what to do with! ;-)

It needs to have a final inspection but I am sure it will pass with flying colours. I have gone from being sad about losing my precious Beamer to being excited about driving this amazing Jaguar.

Other than sharing my excitement I had a couple of questions:

I was planning on taking it in for a synthetic oil change and wanted to make sure there were no issues with using synthetic oil. Also, is there a minimum ethanol level of gas to use?

I don't know much about cars (mechanically) am just a driving connoisseur. lol....

Old 06-09-2010, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

No problem with synthetic oil. Jaguar specifies 93 octane (US) but there is a raging debate on that subject. See the following link for more information than you wanted to know: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=31594

I would suggest that you read through the following links for inspection tips.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=24282

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10043

While there are many issues that can cost a lot of money, the upper tensioner problem has the capability to kill the car. I would insist on documentation that that upgrade had been done or verify by physical inspection.

And, yes, the Jaguars are fine cars but like the beemers, can drive you to drink over expensive repairs.

Hope you found a prize.

Last edited by test point; 06-09-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

As test point says, you really MUST get the upper camchain tensioners checked out. They may have been replaced with the metal-bodied items but this needs confirmation. If you have no invoice/bills for these items, (two - one per cylinder bank), then it is a simple job to lift the cam covers and check directly. Other than that these cars are fine. There was an issue with Nikasil linings on the bores, (BMW had the same problem), but now there is very little sulphur in petrol, this problem has mostly gone away, and anyway your engine probably has the steel liners.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW..

I get about 16-17mpg(US) around town with my 2001 VDP..much better on highway.

I believe the stated gas mileage on these cars is 17mpg city and 24mpg highway..

I have had the 3 main items addressed on my 2001 VDP. The tensioners, Trans R&R and the water pump plus tower replaced.

Had my 80 dollar oil change yesterday and a lube. My mechanic said he could find a darn thing wrong with it.. Said I had the main issues with it handled by PO..

I love my Jaguar, it's a great car...runs and rides like a dream!

Tom

Last edited by tjb909; 06-10-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

welcome Vancouver, its always nice to hear some praise on the older models, many believe that series of XJs is one of the classiest ever to come out of the UK...trademark jaguar.

So glad the unfortunate loss, was an appreciable discovery on your part. I believe you'll have a whole new perspective on jaguars after owning your new car for a little while.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

As just gentle reminder as to how serious the tensioner issue is, this morning there was another post on a '99 XJ and associated tensioner issue. Here is the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37803

And, it is not a miles thing.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Default Advice

Originally Posted by test point
As just gentle reminder as to how serious the tensioner issue is, this morning there was another post on a '99 XJ and associated tensioner issue. Here is the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37803

And, it is not a miles thing.
Hi,
Thanks for all the advice and information everyone. I will ensure that the inspection service does their due diligence on the tensioner issue.

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Default 2001 Tensioner information

Originally Posted by Vancouverguy
Hi,
Thanks for all the advice and information everyone. I will ensure that the inspection service does their due diligence on the tensioner issue.

Thanks!
Of course I will still have the inspection service look at the tensioners, but I also came across this feedback from someone who seems to be well versed and it would seem that the issues are mostly affecting model years before mine:

If you're going to buy an XK or XJ, I would look at a 2001 model year or up car.

The earlier cars (up to the 2000 model year) had all-aluminum engines and had some issues with washing down the cylinders with gas on cold start; some Nikasil cylinder coating failures and a rash of bad throttle bodies that made the car die while driving on the freeway (though that is a factory recall).

They also had cheap plastic timing chain tensioners that, when they failed (that's when, not if), could potentially wedge between the camshaft sproket and a cam chain and snap the chain, causing several thousand dollars worth of engine damage.

The 2001 and newer cars corrected those problems with more reliable timing chain tensioners, throttle bodies, and an aluminum engine block with steel cylinder liners.

My shop works on many XJ and XK8's, and I can attest the 2001 and up cars are very reliable and comfortable transportation with few problems, though they do require a fairly rigorous maintenance schedule.
Source(s):
Work for a Jaguar/Land Rover specialty shop.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Unfortunately, your well versed friend is incorrect on the tensioner issue and marginal on the Nikasil. The plastic tensioners were used on 4.0 engines manufactured until August of 2001, which was after the first production date of 02 models. So, your vehicle under consideration IS affected.

To be exact, and to quote from one of test point's earlier posts:

"Conversion to steel cylinder liners from Nikasil - August 18, 2000 with engine serial number 0008181043. That date was at the engine plant. Cars assembled after that may have had Nikasil until the supply line units were exhausted." (Edit: this could include a small number of '01 MY vehicles)

and:

"Conversion to metal chain tensioners - August 13, 2001. Most, but not all of the '02 MY had the updated tensioners. Same note above applies."

So, to summarize - 02 models are guaranteed free of Nikasil (01 owners will have to check engine number ater than 0008181043), 03 models are guaranteed to have the metal upper tensioners (02 owners will have to check engine number later than 001813XXXX - [is this the correct serial number designation, test point?]).

Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-10-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts
Talking 2001 vdp

I have a 2001 VDP. It has Nikasil cylinder bores and it had plastic secondary tensioners as well as a plastic vaned water pump. I replaced the tensioners with the metal bodied ones and the water pump with the metal vaned one. The only way to be sure about the Nikasil is the engine number as QuadManiac said. I don't think the Nikasil is an issue any longer due to changes (lower sulfur content) in fuel. The tensioners are a concern. I would bet you have the 2nd generation tensioners like I did. They may last 100k miles, but it's a risk, as well as the water pump. The vanes will disintegrate on the water pump and cause overheating and then possible disaster. The throttle body issues were gone by 2001. Other than those little issues, it's a fabulous car in every way !