XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New X Type or old XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016 | 08:53 PM

MaxyB

Where did you find that?

Is it the 4 litre or the 3.2?

I've been watching "carsales.com.au" for months and didn't see that one.....

Oh, and you'll love it.

Lyndon
Sitting back watching from Sydney....

Old 10-20-2016 | 09:59 PM
|

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Excellent! Looks like where you live isn't too dusty, not like some Outback places I've seen. Just make sure you protect it from some of the more extreme weather you get out there!! Lots of Wax to protect from the sun!! I had those wheels on my old ones, they're called "Celtics"
Now you can give some of the Holdens and Falcons a run for their money!
Yeah mate it's not too dusty where I'm from, just mainly the bugs on the 29km road trip into town during Spring and Summer.

When it's parked in my carport I 95% of the time have it under a premium car cover.

Interesting fact about the wheels.

Old 10-20-2016 | 10:03 PM
|

Originally Posted by Lyndon1116
MaxyB

Where did you find that?

Is it the 4 litre or the 3.2?

I've been watching "carsales.com.au" for months and didn't see that one.....

Oh, and you'll love it.

Lyndon
Sitting back watching from Sydney....
Hi Lyndon

Yeah I have been observing the Carsales site for the past two years for either XJ8 or XJR. I filtered my search to black only. This one I purchased was from Melbourne. It was on the market for perhaps a good 3-5 months before I purchased it.

It's a 4.0 L sport

The following users liked this post:
Lyndon1116 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016 | 10:03 PM
|

Oh and Lyndon I purchased it about one month ago.

The following users liked this post:
Lyndon1116 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016 | 10:12 PM
|

Originally Posted by booyaford
think i missed boat seeing you have already purchased xjr and it looks super sexy park an x type along the side of that which one...please.

i have owned a few jags xj40 xj6 etc and they have all had issues but you find that with all cars new old big small what i have found its the excitement and enjoyment that older jags bring.

where could you buy a luxury motor for a few grand in decent condition that has the prestige and history that comes with that iconic name jaguar.

the xj8 i have at the moment has and still does turn heads and is complimented on and makes me smile every time i drive it, it feels like what a car should feel like on the road and makes my day most enjoyable materialistic maybe if thats looking after something i own well thats me.

never had a new car and i presume i never will not when you can get a beautiful old jag or merc or similar for the price of given up smoking for 6 months depending on how many you smoke obviously.

new cars = nice. old cars time effort money =enjoyment.

Yes I 100% agree. For the amount of money you pay it represents great value: comfort, luxury, prestigious history, smooth drive and still turns heads.

Old 10-21-2016 | 02:21 AM
Veteran Member

The X308 will always turn heads simply because it is a Jaguar. I took mine to the body shop on Monday morning and it was sat in there with a Triumph GT6, a Pontiac from the 70's, and a Chevy Astro Van. Yet the people who came in all went straight to the Jag and remarked kindly upon it.

Another thing to bear in mind Maxyb is to not be too rough on the transmission, and get the fluid changed if you haven't already done so. It's worth having the upgraded valve fitted at the same time to prevent heartbreak in the future!

Old 10-21-2016 | 02:49 AM
|

The X308 will always turn heads simply because it is a Jaguar. I took mine to the body shop on Monday morning and it was sat in there with a Triumph GT6, a Pontiac from the 70's, and a Chevy Astro Van. Yet the people who came in all went straight to the Jag and remarked kindly upon it.

Another thing to bear in mind Maxyb is to not be too rough on the transmission, and get the fluid changed if you haven't already done so. It's worth having the upgraded valve fitted at the same time to prevent heartbreak in the future!
Hey Stu

Thanks for the tip. You'll have to excuse me I'm not too mechanically minded but I'm learning - my best mate is more switched on and he gives me advice also.

So I should get the transmission fluid changed and which valve should I get upgraded? I can raise this with my mechanic next time I get it serviced. Cheers

Old 10-21-2016 | 03:31 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, get the fluid changed as a definite. Jaguar said the ZF unit was "Sealed for life" but time has told us this is not the case and regular fluid changes are required. To change the fluid you'll need the correct specification fluid, a quick search on this site will get you your answer. The fluid has been superseded a few times now, the last batch I used I got from my local VW dealer. The pressure valve has been identified as a weak point, it's shape allowed it to wear easily and cause spikes in pressure which caused the Transmission to fail, often terminally.

Here is a link to the manufacturer of the upgraded valve: TransGo ZF 5HP-24: 5HP-24-PR
If you search eBay for it you will find various sellers at various prices. However I will say DON'T buy from the "American Powertrain Warehouse". I bought a valve from them and after it didn't turn up I had to go through PayPal to get my money back. They wouldn't answer emails or phone calls. I eventually got one from a seller in California.

Old 10-21-2016 | 06:47 AM
|

Yep, get the fluid changed as a definite. Jaguar said the ZF unit was "Sealed for life" but time has told us this is not the case and regular fluid changes are required. To change the fluid you'll need the correct specification fluid, a quick search on this site will get you your answer. The fluid has been superseded a few times now, the last batch I used I got from my local VW dealer. The pressure valve has been identified as a weak point, it's shape allowed it to wear easily and cause spikes in pressure which caused the Transmission to fail, often terminally.

Here is a link to the manufacturer of the upgraded valve: TransGo ZF 5HP-24: 5HP-24-PR
If you search eBay for it you will find various sellers at various prices. However I will say DON'T buy from the "American Powertrain Warehouse". I bought a valve from them and after it didn't turn up I had to go through PayPal to get my money back. They wouldn't answer emails or phone calls. I eventually got one from a seller in California.
Ok thanks Stu, I'll refer back to this next time she gets tuned.