XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

new x308 owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new x308 owner with questions

Hello all:
So I just recently picked up a 1998 XJ8 base model with 75K. Got a good price and car drives great. No unusual noises, no rattles at startup, car drives smooth and solid. After buying the car I started doing some more comprehensive research (I know, should have done that first). So it looks like the 3 major issues with this model is the timing tensioners and guides, Nikasil cylinder lining, and the ZF tranny. I'm not too concerned about the Nikasil lining but I am very concerned about the tensioner and tranny issues. So heres the plan and I was hoping the excellent collective wisdom of this forum can help steer me in the right direction.
First thing, replace the timing chain tensioners, guides, chains with updated ones. While there also do the water pump, t/stat, belts, hoses, etc.
Second, replace the tranny filter and do a couple of drain and fill with Redline D4 synthetic fluid and hope for the best.
I'm wondering what is the best timing kit to go with in terms of quality and price? OEM Jag/Ford? Aftermarket? If so which brand? There's plenty of kits out there with prices all over the place. One brand better than another? Tons of them on Ebay. Considering the labor involved and the potential consequences I don't want to put in inferior components but don't want to pay more than I need to. From what I've read looks like the best water pump would be the Airtex white impeller with a metal one as second choice. Or maybe the AC Delco? Just go OEM?
As far as the tranny stick with the ZF filter? Any suitable aftermarket ones? The Redline D4 would be OK?

Any other preventive stuff you'd reccommend?

I've got some service records but nothing to indicate any of the above was ever done. Car drive beautifully but I'm afraid of putting much mileage on it without addressing this stuff first. I've read of instances of tensioner failure with no warning and much lower mileage than mine.

Sorry if this has been rehashed before. Hoping you folks can shed some light on which way to go. Thanks in advance.

Dave
98 XJ8 newly acquired
04 Xtype first Jag
97 Pathfinder
01 Saab 9-5 wagon
93 Saab 900S
93 BMW 328i

Old 08-28-2016, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 819 Posts

Coventry west sells the metal impeller water pump which I highly recommend doing. They also sell a nice aluminum thermostat housing the last time I ordered which was over 2 years ago. The quality of the housing was better than ÜRO's IMO.

You are on the right track concerning the transmission with filter and a couple fluid changes. As far as the fluid type, I've only used the Pentosin fluid so I can't help you there.

You will get a whole slew of suggestions from other members and they'll also tell you to do a search.

Enjoy the new ride.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Sounds like you've got a good handle on your priorities. You could remove the valve covers and make sure someone hasn't already upgraded the timing gear, that way you don't order a few hundred dollars in parts when you may not need them. I doubt it's been done, but in 17 years it's at least possible someone decided to address the plastic tensioner problem. While you have the valve/cam covers off you can use an inspection camera (fairly cheap these days) to take a look down into the lower timing area, just to see what you are dealing with.

There is an upgraded pressure valve you can install in the ZF transmission that is supposed to prevent the pressure spikes that are thought to cause A drum damage. I installed the Transgo brand valve when I did my fluid/filter change, but I think ZF makes an updated valve also. The installation is not very difficult and the Transgo valve came with pretty good directions. I used the ZF fluid but I thought about using the Redline fluid. If I was doing a full flush and replacing ALL of the fluid I would probably have gone for the Redline. Since I did a couple of drain-and-fills instead of a full flush I wanted to use the same basic fluid that was in there.

Oh, and change the fuel filter. It seems to be a very overlooked service item.

Last edited by harvest14; 08-28-2016 at 10:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (08-28-2016)