XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New XJ Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017 | 07:36 PM
|
Question New XJ Owner Questions

Hello All,
So, i bought a 2002 XJ8 from my brother who recently bought new. Being my sibling, he gave me a great deal. It has 156xxx miles on it. He said that it had been sitting for about 3 years at his other home, being driven very little by his son, who doesn't know alot about it. I have been driving it for the past week, and I'm noticing a few issues with various elements of the car. Rather than droll on, I'll make a list of problems. From what I've been reading, I'm among some well informed company.

1) The first thing I noticed was when the car warms up, at a stop sign, the gearbox seems to slip, then engage hard into gear before continuing along fine. It doesn't seem to do it every time, and only when warmed up, about 20mi or so. It also does this in reverse, only when warm, not every time.

2)Check Gas cap notification.

3)Engine Failure Mode notification. Not always, and resets after shutting car off. From what I've been reading on your forum..seems to be in direct correlation to the cruise control, as it shuts off the cruise at the same time. So, this brake switch, is it practical to fix it, or replace it? If replace, where..how much? Also, when in E.F.M...what is actually affected?

4)Emblems are cloudy. Can one purchase these type of items? Mind you,
my brother may have the budget to buy new, myself? (Sigh) I can only revel in my fortunate luck to purchase this beauty...coming from a 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen, I'm tickled pink to own it, and am excited to be able to be an actual owner on this forum. I;m hoping to fix these issues myself, as I have tools and aptitude. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 06-27-2017 | 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome traXJunkie, please take the time to introduce yourself in The New Members Section...https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/ ...tell the folks a bit about yourself and check out the forum rules.

#1 issue sounds like you need to either do a fluid and filter change and/or upgrade your pressure regulator... TransGo 5HP-24-PR Pressure Regulator Valve Repair Kit ZF 5HP24 A BMW Audi Jaguar | eBay ...lets get some other members to chime in on that before purchasing.
#2 ...are you getting a P 0455? There are multiple solutions this could be if so. Please be sure to include any P codes you pull to better assist the members dial in a solution for you.
#3 I've not encountered this, but I'm sure someone will provide some direction.
#4 Initially, head to the Marketplace at the top of the forum. Members have lots of items for sale from new to used and from cars they are parting out.
Hope this give you a helpful start on your repairs....

Old 06-27-2017 | 09:53 PM
|

Thanks for the quick response, HighHorse!
I will head on over and give a formal "howdy" asap. I will be heading over to our local Autozone and have them scan it for me, as I forgot to mention, not surprisingly, the check engine light is on. as for the part on Ebay, I didn't see my year...it says XJ8- 1998. Is this a common part? Forgive my ignorance, but where is the "VB"? Is that short for valve body? Also, are there tutorials on this repair to be found? Or is it really that simple? I look forward to hearing more input. Again, thanks! I'll repost after an OBD scan.

Old 06-27-2017 | 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Lets take a look at problem #3. You stated that after start up you get the warnings going off and if you shut down and restart they go away.
This is the first indication of a low voltage at start up. The causes are (1) weak battery, (2) poor Battery connections and (3) poor ground connections.
First step is to get the battery load tested or if of unknown age just replace it. Make sure the battery comes with a vent kit and you route it thru the hole next to the battery mounting.
Second make sure that the battery cable connections are clean bright and tight. Also check the power connection from the wire coming from the trunk.
Last, there is a ground strap that runs from the engine/transmission joint to the frame rail. It is on the right hand side of the car about a foot or so back from the right front wheel. Make sure it is clean bright and tight.
What is happening when you start the car it takes a heavy amp draw and the the electronic modules don't see the voltage they are expecting and they start throwing up red flags. When voltage is restored on restart then everybody is happy.

The following users liked this post:
traXJunkie (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017 | 04:11 AM

With respect to #3; As stated it could be due to low voltage. So check first, also there is well known issue that the microswitches on the brake pedal can cause this problem. Best to get the codes read to make sure. There is a special code for this. You do need to find somebody that has an OBD scanner that can read Jaguar specific codes though. Not hundred percent sure, but I thought it was P1571

The actual switch contains two microswitches, one for the brake and one for the auto cruise. Replacing is not that difficult, although it takes a bit of fiddling as you need to get your head and hands and tool in the footwell underneath the dashboard. I’ve heard of owners fixing/cleaning the microswitch.

I bought my replacement in 2011 in Kansas City from the local Jaguar dealer for USD 72!

Jeroen

traXJunkie (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017 | 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by traXJunkie
Thanks for the quick response, HighHorse!
I will head on over and give a formal "howdy" asap. I will be heading over to our local Autozone and have them scan it for me, as I forgot to mention, not surprisingly, the check engine light is on. as for the part on Ebay, I didn't see my year...it says XJ8- 1998. Is this a common part? Forgive my ignorance, but where is the "VB"? Is that short for valve body? Also, are there tutorials on this repair to be found? Or is it really that simple? I look forward to hearing more input. Again, thanks! I'll repost after an OBD scan.
Well, like I said, lets see what other members have to say first before purchase, its not what you'd call common though, thus the eBay reference. But, you can also do a search on site regarding that part and read those threads for better reference for each members experience and the repairs they did. I believe Daim just recently did his and had posted about it? Daim I believe does state it is a somewhat easy replacement.

traXJunkie (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017 | 07:50 PM
|

Thank you Highhorse and others for your insight. I've had the scan done, and the only code to pop up is P0455/purge control valve. Besides the obvious need to replace PCV...would that have something to do with the gas cap code? I'm trying to connect know issues with HUD notifications. Today was a better day, as the only message to appear on my way to work was "Check Gas Cap". On the way home, I tried to trigger them by doing different things: tapping break pedal, turning cruise on and off, accelerate/decelerate. I was just about home when the cruise just shut off, no message, but wouldn't set again. The light on the switch was still on, and when I would try and set it, you could feel it "grab" for a sec, but wouldn't stay. Then, a few miles further on I received "Check Rear Lights" when I hit the brakes. I tapped the brake sharply, and it went away. Not long after that, I got the dreaded "Failsafe Engine Mode", and the cruise switch light went off. So when in this mode, what actually is affected?

Old 06-28-2017 | 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Very common, do a site search and you'll get 10's of 100's of threads for your review. Roughly...its a replace and see if it fixes it repair. You see, it could be a combination of any or all also. I need to check the vent valve on my purge canisters, I've already replaced the cap and purge valve. I did notice mine doesn't throw the code no where near as much since replacing the purge valve.

For your cruise control, that sounds like a pickup has failed or you have a short...btw, what's the condition of your battery?

Old 06-28-2017 | 08:16 PM
|

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Very common, do a site search and you'll get 10's of 100's of threads for your review. Roughly...its a replace and see if it fixes it repair. You see, it could be a combination of any or all also. I need to check the vent valve on my purge canisters, I've already replaced the cap and purge valve. I did notice mine doesn't throw the code no where near as much since replacing the purge valve.

For your cruise control, that sounds like a pickup has failed or you have a short...btw, what's the condition of your battery?

The battery was new as of last year. I'll be doing an oil change this weekend, I'm going to search for the PCV online, as Autozone does not have it. I am also going to check for loose connections etc. and look into my brake switch/how to remove, and possibly clean it. I also feel as though I might be needing to get it on a lift, because I hear a slight clunking in suspension on slow bumps. I suspect control arm bushings or sway bar bushings. I'm very good at detecting problems, and I hate HUD messages! What has been suggested so far seems well within my skillset, so that's a plus, as long as it doesn't break the bank.

Old 06-28-2017 | 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

The clunking could be a couple of things, but I would suspect front tower bushings and/or rear damper bushings have gone south.

Old 06-28-2017 | 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by traXJunkie
Thank you Highhorse and others for your insight. I've had the scan done, and the only code to pop up is P0455/purge control valve. Besides the obvious need to replace PCV...would that have something to do with the gas cap code?
Purge Control Valve is part of the EVAP system and has nothing to do with the PCV (positive crankcase valve) or system.

A defective purge control valve can set a P0455 code or a loose gas cap warning.