XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New XJR Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts
Default New XJR Owner

Now I always categorize the saloon XJs as the quintessant "old mans car" which I am sure a lot of you guys abhor........ However...... I am getting old....... And I bought a 98 XJR for pennies and I love it........

Now some of you may know me from the XK scene where I make and bling all kinds of fancy bits if that is what tickles your fancy for XKs, but now I have one of these XJ beauties...... Watch this space! I don't do "standard"!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I don't do "standard"!
Neither do I - Great news Tony, they're a great car, welcome to the sedate side

Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Now some of you may know me from the XK scene where I make and bling all kinds of fancy bits if that is what tickles your fancy for XKs, but now I have one of these XJ beauties...... Watch this space! I don't do "standard"!

Appreciate the warning!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Bring it on!

Dan

Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

MY XJ is a bit rusty shall we say, all in the usual places, so I decided if I am going to have to cut things about lets add some big wheels....

A set of 22s sounded simple

Errrrr no, they seem to touch the back of the arch and the bumper...

OK... I'll get my angle grinder

One arch less and now they fit.... kinda!! I shall fit some 30mm spacers as well for good measure!!

Damn thing will look like a monster truck by the time I am finished lol

Something else that bugs me..... it has 2 too many doors, they will be going next and that front bumper has to go as well, I have an idea that will work....... maybe

I have already sorted the timing tensioners, whilst I was at it I uprated the bottom pulley, I have a nice shiny intake pipe I knocked up as well, will have a think on how I can bling the engine bay up a bit........ it looks so unloved!

Attached Thumbnails New XJR Owner-xjr1_zps89a96ca5.jpg   New XJR Owner-xjr2_zpsfa529818.jpg   New XJR Owner-xjr3_zps1bad4a8e.jpg  
Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Project Coupe Away!

the only thing that stopped me dead was the side glass, they're curved slightly, the price was zonkers.

mock 2 door of mine

BTW people, he know's what he's doing...

Attached Thumbnails New XJR Owner-pshoppedcoupex308.jpg  
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
Project Coupe Away!

the only thing that stopped me dead was the side glass, they're curved slightly, the price was zonkers.

mock 2 door of mine

BTW people, he know's what he's doing...
Wouldn't it be possible to use the existing rear door glass, C pillar, and quarter glass? Maybe weld the door in place, and smooth things out?

Of course, I don't know the first thing about fabrication, so I'm probably way off with that idea... Lol

Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Whoa whoa whoa easy tiger.......... I am not going to do a coupe, but I really like the idea, I guess I should give you guys the criteria, this car is going to be a tow car for my racing XK, it will also be painted up in the same livery of 2 tone platinum silver and slate pearl to match, however I want it to be well done, it will be "beefed up" on the exterior and under the bonnet/hood.........

Trust me I'm a doctor

The following users liked this post:
XJRChad (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I, for one, can't wait to see the finished product, XKRacer. Or should we call you Doctor XKRacer?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Well this is going to be fun to watch!

Old 11-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Price of Admission

This is going to be more than worth the price of admission. *grabs popcorn*

Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Checked out your website, amazing work sir!

Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks...... I must admit I find it quite amazing there is so little option to modify these cars, there is hardly any choice, which again I find amazing when you consider the amount of these cars about including the X300 body style ....

That will change to a small degree, I will make some of the things I do available but I do not imagine for 1 minute anybody would go to the extents I am....

Just goes to show how the XJ scene must be a more controlled, conservative, mature, staid, OK I want to say boring but that would be rude and obtuse ..... And I am sure does not apply to a lot of you guys

Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I would say "genteel", not boring, at least for the Vandies. You are at the far end of the spectrum. It's amazing the variety of the XJs. But I love to watch. Reminds me of my younger days. :^)

Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

I admire the effort, and the workmanship, but.......not my cup of tea. I am the "stock guy". Minimal (if any!) mods, and keeping the classic, looking like "classic".

"Old man's car"? Maybe,...but certain age brings confidence, comfort, and attitude. I like to enjoy the interior, smells, and driving something MOST people are affraid off. I am in no hurry. Ever. World can wait on me, and in any meeting I might go to, I am the last guy in (and the one that pays the rest of them),.....so let them wait!

One day, in not so distant future, my cars will be "discovered" by my "family members" in my barn. They will be in PRISTINE, and ORIGINAL condition, almost as the time capsules, of the time gone by.

Maybe this is my European upbringing? Over there, the history and heritage is appreciated, and nourished. Hundreds of years old buildings are refinished, and preserved, and over here,......everything from the past is dynamited, and the new stuff is built every day.

I like history and heritage. That's why I drive X308 (15 years old with classic look). I can go out today, and write the check for a brand new one, but I don't like it. New is not always better.

"Hacking" one up? Sure. It's YOUR property. It will be interesting to see the end result, but it will not be classic. You DO great work, no doubt, and as long as it floats your boat, go for it.

XKRacer (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Well put...... I can appreciate that..... I in turn believe there should be some of these cars to be left stock and in an ideal world I would have one that came from the factory with all of its toys and untouched and another to have some fun with.

Basically the XJ I bought cost me less than a grand, was in a very sorry state and if I don't (dare I say) save it, it will without doubt of ended up in a breakers yard in the very near future.......

XJRChad (11-08-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

I have not done anything to the XJ for a while as I am in the process of buying another one as a doner for another project (this one is customer based so I actually get paid for it ..... which makes a change )

But as the body will not be required I have waited to see if is better than the current one I have, if so I will use that one instead.....

I have been known for updating the look of older Jags with their much newer offspring...... So I could not resist!!

It is surprising how much bigger the new XJ is compared to the old but I am willing to give it a go, that grille is horrendously expensive (£600) but luckily I only paid £35 for the bumper, I just about have enough clearance between the lights to squeeze it in, there will be quite a few changes made but all in all I reckon I can do it ......

Attached Thumbnails New XJR Owner-xjfrontbumper_zps47692058.jpg  
XJRChad (12-03-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

I got the second XJ This one bodily is in much better condition so we will use this car as my doner, I will be swapping the engines as this was the main purpose for buying it in the first place along with its rads and stuff

The interior is is better condition too, shame about the sun roof, could of done without that!

It does have a body kit on it, some side sill covers and a front spoiler, these will be up for grabs at a cheap price if anyone is interested....

Attached Thumbnails New XJR Owner-xjr4_zps42ed2516.jpg  

Last edited by XKRacer; 12-12-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer

The interior is is better condition too, shame about the sun roof, could of done without that!

You could do a carbon fiber sunroof delete panel. I would be interested in one.

Last edited by SteveM; 12-11-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SteveM
You could do a carbon fiber sunroof delete panel. I would be interested in one.
That actually would not be that hard to do, I can use the other XJ as a plug to make the mould, chop the roof out, French the edge and then bond the panel in, or you could just stick it straight over the top but you would have a lip.....

I shall ponder that one

Quick Reply: New XJR Owner