XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New XJR Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Aw, come on now. I am impressed by your obvious craftsmanship skills, but I really do not like the new jag styling as much as I like the "natural X-308"! I will admit the front end of my XFR is the strongest design element- the rest of the car looks like a bunch of the others. That said, there is a variant of the Ford Focus and one of the Hyundais that look like it from the front!
Now that is constructive criticism, I would of had no problem with that but your previous remark was you trying to take the **** and that was uncalled for which says more about you than what I am doing.........

The following 2 users liked this post by XKRacer:
Graham Royls (07-29-2014), Sean B (06-07-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

I stated in a previous post I wanted to redo the headlights, I needed to incorporate a front indicator into the setup mainly because the new bumper does not have one and i was not about to make the originals fit, I wanted something different...... So I started planning..

I use a US company for my LED PCBs for the X100s and I knew they also did a larger diameter one, the new projector style lights I have are a much smaller diameter than the original 6" items, this meant I had to make quite a large bezel, I did consider brass and getting them chrome plated, I then thought I would use aluminium, in the end I decided on 316 stainless, no need to worry about plating but a bitch to machine....

I came up with this

Consists of 5 components, the orange on the assembly drawing is the main bezel, blue is a clear polycarbonate ring as I need to protect it from the elements, yellow is the LED PCB, green is a thin polycarbonate ring to insulate the back of the PCB from the bezel, finally the grey section is a aluminium retaining housing, this will hold everything together and be screwed in place, it will also have tapped holes through the sides to lock it to the light unit. There will be 4 LED rings for obvious reasons, the outer ring will be orange for my indicator and the inner will be a DRL and lit up with the ignition..

The raw materials

I will post more pics up as I start making them.

This also meant I have to scallop out the front of the new bumper section, I also cut up the original plastic light surrounds, these will become part of the bumper and saves me trying to shape the metal to match the bonnet and blend into the bumper, this way I just need to fill the lower section to continue the shape of the front of the bumper up towards the light..

I rolled a 3" wide piece of steel into a 6.5" diameter ring, I cut out the front section of the bumper, positioned the piece of old surround to the bonnet and down to the bumper, slid the ring into place, marked it, trimmed and then welded into place, I will bond the plastic section

Same thing applies to the next light unit, this also needs the side section which become a part of nose of the bumper with the grille

I shall get the other side done next weekend.....

Attached Thumbnails New XJR Owner-xjrledbezel_zps55d29f31.jpg   New XJR Owner-image_zps94a4f1fa.jpg   New XJR Owner-xjrhl1_zps1edfdafe.jpg   New XJR Owner-xjrhl2_zps6528acea.jpg  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

I had a little spare time this afternoon so I decided to make a start on the outer bezel, I had already machined the polycarbonate parts and was eager to see how the ring would look, I had my doubts, mainly for the larger area between the holes and the edge of the bezel, looked like it needed something but I thought, lets do it plain and work from there rather than go for something I might regret and waste a lot of money on a piece of material!

I rough turned the stainless, then drilled all the holes....

I then finished turned with the beveled edge and gave it a bit of a polish, at this point I still have not made the aluminium housing which holds everything together but I was curious as to how it would look so I rigged something up...

I thought that did not look too bad, lets put some power through the ring!

IronMan anyone??

In theory once I have fitted the aluminium part I would lose that spiraling effect but then I thought if I drill holes through the sides of the housing I could retain it, so I thought that's what I will do..... I think it looks kinda cool, it also looks like I have found a name for my project

Attached Thumbnails New XJR Owner-xjrlr1_zps0ede5f70.jpg   New XJR Owner-xjrlr2_zps16229fc8.jpg   New XJR Owner-xjrlr4_zps5d158ddb.jpg   New XJR Owner-xjrlr3_zps73a3538e.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by XKRacer:
Dan Hiatt (06-07-2014), DJ-Roy (06-07-2014), rocklandjag (03-25-2014), Sean B (06-07-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

XK Racer - that looks amazing. Your project is my new favorite thread to follow

Old 03-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

you are the "ironman" of UK, so cool

I would like to have a set of your headlight/lamp

Old 03-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is impressive.. cant wait to see the finished product!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a little name change just for this thread ..... I know but I could not resist!

Anyway..... These came today (or this as there is only one showing!)

One of my new brake discs I will be using, I will bore them out and redrill the PCD to fit. I do need to play with the Brembo calipers, I have an odd pair one bracket and one solid (which was the later type) really I want another bracket type, this will make my life easier.....

Just to show, my new disc on the left and a standard front XJ disc on the right.....

Attached Thumbnails New XJR Owner-abd1_zps66d540f6.jpg   New XJR Owner-abd2_zps37b7f81d.jpg  
Old 04-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

This project has reminded me of another Jag that had a deep front bumper and wide arches... Steads Jag in the New Avengers, a 2014 update, cool. Check out Broadspeed XJ12C on the internet, a racecar built to take on the BMW Batmobiles in European Touring Cars Series yet still keeps its wooden dash and electric windows! How wonderfully English, we are going racing... no need to be uncivilised though.

Last edited by andrew lowe; 04-02-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow!! I can sort of see an image of how this is going to look and I have to say I love it!!

I like the xj coupe idea, it reminds my of the Bentley brooklands coupe.

I can't wait to see the end result.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer

Something else that bugs me..... it has 2 too many doors, they will be going next and that front bumper has to go as well, I have an idea that will work....... maybe
Well, then... this'll be the perfect opportunity to show your style...

Keep all four doors, but.... make it a one-of-a-kind kitty while you're at it

Make it a four Lambo-scissor door Jag, the only one on Earth... while doing something under the hood that'll make it fly like a Lambo, too. Only thing is I'm not sure whether an open rear door will leave room for the front door access, although not everybody must enter the car simultaneously...

It'll be something worth seeing...

Cheers,

Old 06-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Can't wait to see further updates. So far very intriguing--the craftsmanship, creativity and fabrication begs for updates.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Depends if you have a one owner One of 165 built 99VDP with the Supercharger option. I love my Old Guy Car especially the white bespoke piping.
Now I always categorize the saloon XJs as the quintessant "old mans car" which I am sure a lot of you guys abhor........ However...... I am getting old....... And I bought a 98 XJR for pennies and I love it........

Now some of you may know me from the XK scene where I make and bling all kinds of fancy bits if that is what tickles your fancy for XKs, but now I have one of these XJ beauties...... Watch this space! I don't do "standard"!

Old 06-09-2014, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member

I have not done too much for a while, my wifes parents are flying over from Australia for a visit so I am more busy finishing off the house extension but as soon as that is done I will be back on it. Another reason is the other XJ I have which will be the car I will finally use is the only 4 seater car I have so I was not allowed to "attack" it, but as soon as they have gone!!!!

Attached Thumbnails New XJR Owner-xjr8_zps9295041c.jpg  
Old 06-09-2014, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I really like the new nose since I have admired the nose on the last years of the X350.

Don't know what to make of the Big Mac size wheels though.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a little spare time this afternoon so I decided to make a start on the outer bezel, I had already machined the polycarbonate parts and was eager to see how the ring would look, I had my doubts, mainly for the larger area between the holes and the edge of the bezel, looked like it needed something but I thought, lets do it plain and work from there rather than go for something I might regret and waste a lot of money on a piece of material!

I rough turned the stainless, then drilled all the holes....

I then finished turned with the beveled edge and gave it a bit of a polish, at this point I still have not made the aluminium housing which holds everything together but I was curious as to how it would look so I rigged something up...

I thought that did not look too bad, lets put some power through the ring!

IronMan anyone??

In theory once I have fitted the aluminium part I would lose that spiraling effect but then I thought if I drill holes through the sides of the housing I could retain it, so I thought that's what I will do..... I think it looks kinda cool, it also looks like I have found a name for my project
Wow, just love these lights.. Now, if you could parcel some up to replace the 'standard' xenon lights in an x350 I reckon you'd sell a load - I know i'd have my name down in a shot!! ;-)

Old 07-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Like some others I think it looks hideous but I LOVE the skill and workmanship. Given that this car might have otherwise gine to the scrapyard, have at it and have fun.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

It will be a very unique XJ in some ways but not so in others which will come apparent later, it will indeed be a "Marmite" car (not sure many of our US friends will understand that comment but the UK guys definately will!)..... The wifes parents have been and gone but return at the end of July, then I will start again.... I have changed my mind a little on the lights, I am going to use ali afterall the stainless is just too heavy and I may even have them anodised a colour..... Just to be a little more different..

Old 07-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

It will be a very unique XJ in some ways but not so in others which will come apparent later, it will indeed be a "Marmite" car (not sure many of our US friends will understand that comment but the UK guys definately will!)..... The wifes parents have been and gone but return at the end of July, then I will start again.... I have changed my mind a little on the lights, I am going to use ali afterall the stainless is just too heavy and I may even have them anodised a colour..... Just to be a little more different..
Marmite (from Wikipedia):

The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown food paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty. This distinctive taste is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it." The product's name has entered British English as a metaphor for something which is an acquired taste or tends to polarise opinions.

The following users liked this post:
XKRacer (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 04:15 AM
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

I love marmite - always have, in fact I have the extra mature version :-)

I think what your doing is fantastic (making it your own), ultimately you've saved a car that due to rust\age was destined for the scrapper. As for the looks, so far so good I reckon

Old 07-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

inquired about, if it goes in production , put my name down

Quick Reply: New XJR Owner