XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Newb please help w/ coolant q.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newb please help w/ coolant q.

hey guys im a newb here, just bought an 99 XJR. It has 101000, the other day my light came on for a few seconds, it said Low Coolant. I looked in the book, but its a random type of coolant, I called the dealer but they only sell it in 5 gallons. I looked around the forums but I seem to find a lot of contradicting advise. I looked in the coolant reservoir and it is low its like 3 inches from the cap ( its supposed to be filled up to the cap right)? What type of coolant do I need, has anyone else had a similar problem on this car?
Thanks for all your help.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

You won't find a majority I'm afraid, except with the possibility that most will say 'don't mix' the types. If you don't know whats in it, have your system flushed, and you tell the guys what to put in it.

I don't know the Jaguar specification for the coolant...yes I do, it's

Seems to be a VIN split, but for giggles, I googled the WSS-M97B44-D and found Prestone's orange stuff, the extended life, meets or exceeds it. That is, in fact, what I put in my car.

Attached Thumbnails Newb please help w/ coolant q.-coolant.jpg  
Old 03-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The coolant change interval is 100k miles anyway. The Prestone orange stuff will mix just fine but why not just add water. It will not dilute the coolant enough to matter. Then flush and refill at your convenience . . . soon.

And, yes, slow leaks, coolant lights are common problems on these cars.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:08 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

You're in a transition year. Be careful to replace any coolant with the correct type as the orange formula (OAT) does not mix with other types. On your car, the weakest component will be the heater matrix if you mix orange with any other formula. You'll lose your heater core to sludge produced from the cross mix in short time.

Use the chart above along with your VIN to determine if you should use the DOW D542 formula (old green compatible with Zerex GO5 or Prestone all mix), or the WSS M97B44-D OAT (orange) formula and HEED THE CAUTION AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CHART printed above.

Another way to tell the type, if orange is required, Jaguar placed a label on the header tank that warned to use formula ORANGE in color only if yours requires OAT. But use this one only as a backup as lots of header tanks in these older cars have been replaced with the wrong ones.

The following users liked this post:
XJ8L (08-11-2011)
Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 AM
ud

Sorry, I should have put this into my post above.

Look in the header tank to verify the color in your car. Lots of owners of these cars have played with the coolant formulas and have changed or added the wrong coolant. So, if the VIN and labels of your car call for Dow D542, but the color in the tank is orange, (or the other way around), I would flush the entire system and put the correct fluid back in.

This is importnat because the engine designers use components sealers and gasket materials that a compatible with the specified formulas. Switching formulas can quickly, chemically deteriorate these components.

The following users liked this post:
XJ8L (08-11-2011)
Old 03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Good advice guys.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you guys, appreciate all the advice, I found out mine takes Dow D542.
I couldn't access the matrix up top, is that bc im too new to this forum??

Old 03-28-2010, 07:55 AM
ud

OK good. Now when you look into the header tank, does the coolant look green? Just make sure a previous owner (assume you bought it used) didn't screw up and add Dexcool (orange). If you're good, then least expensive coolant is the Prestone All mix, Mixes with All. Yellow container, find it in all parts stores and, I hate to say it, but Walmart too.

I'm not an expert on forum stuff, but if you are pretty new to this forum, I think there are some features you cannot use.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

Silverj, yes, there are some restrictions for new members...its temporary. Take a read here ok?