XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Newbie needs help. XJ8 wont start after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help. XJ8 wont start after battery change

please help!

Have an XJ8 1998 3.2 V8. Changed the battery and now it doesnt start. Doors only open with the key not the fobs. The immobiliser must have been active at some point as when i initially turned the car it didnt turn.... just a dead click!.... i think i must have tried this at least 3 times (which i then beleive disables the immobiliser) and now the car cranks but doesnt fire up...

J Gate gear stick is not locked in the red P position on the J-Gate. I also think the Fuel isnt being allowed to get to the engine perhaps.... i can hear the fuel pump come on in the back though.... is there some way to reset the system... surely its something simple.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Have a look in the driver footwell behind the kick panel on the right hand side, behind it there's an inertia switch that may need pressing down.

The other possible issue is bore wash, if it turns over but doesn't start there's a possibility fuel has washed the cylinder liners and this leads to no compression, effectively a flooded engine.
But first check fuel pressure at the injection rail, there's a tire valve that can be pressed to see if fuel squirts out, if it dribbles on key turn then the fuel pump may need replacing

The well used trick to bring up compression and start the car if the pump is good, is to remove a coil pack cover and remove a bank of plugs then drop a teaspoon of oil down the bores and crank until it catches, it'll be smokey at first!
Hope this gets it going

Old 05-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Sean,
Are you talking left hand drive or right? I have a marginally similar problem and have gone through all of my fuses and have not seen a reset button anywhere, but was looking for one...

Old 05-15-2017, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

As the OP is in the UK the inertia switch is the on the right, it'll be on the left on US cars.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:56 AM
Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Had this problem of needing to reset the inertia switch myself recently after having the car jacked up really high on one side, resetting did the trick. Only thing is, before resetting mine I had all sorts of warning lights on the dash, Engine Failure, Suspension Fault, Gearbox Fault, Electrical Part Not Recognised etc. you didn't mention having had any of those warnings? The switch is reset by just depressing the rubber top of the switch, mine's located behind the accelerator (RHD).

If that doesn't work, I'd go with Sean B and Bore Wash, previous to battery charge did you happen to start the car from cold, run it for a very short period then switch off, this would cause Bore Wash? Oil down the bore worked for me but, on eventual start the engine popped, smoked and banged as I believe I put too much oil down there and it damaged a Knock Sensor. Sean B's advice is right, a teaspoonful at most, too much can create other issues. There's also the other method of foot hard down on the accelerator to shut the fuel off, and cranking until the engine fires, put the fuse back in and try starting with foot down about an inch. All you're doing is trying to get the compression back in the engine.