XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Newbie seeking advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Newbie seeking advice!

2001 XJ8 VDP
I bought the car of the eBay for $5,600 + $450 to get it home from Florida some time next week. It was a "side" deal, outside the eBay and I haven't seen/drive the car yet, only pics and sellers word/feedback. Please take a moment and check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123
Have I made a decent deal? Where should I start with care and maintanance? What to watch for? Do's and Don'ts? I am very mechanically inclined and any friendly advice would be greatly appreciated. Much obliged. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

That's a pretty reasonable deal. My 01 VDP has 74K miles, and cost $7400. These cars have a ferocious depreciation, as they are subject to a great many idiosyncratic and baffling ailments. If you are looking for a drive-it-and-forget-about-it vehicle, then you made a mistake! A Volvo it's not....

Your serial number indicates a late 2001 build date, which puts it past the worst of the problems, the "nikasil engine failure" issue. However, you still have to do with the "secondary timing chain tensioner" issue. Then there are many many annoying things that can happen, such as mysterious "check engine light" ailments and oddball electrical problems. Basically, the electrical components and connectors in these cars are subject to corrosion and poor connectivity. Since it's basically a computer-controlled vehicle (but powered by, shall we say, "Windows 95") the computers do unpredictable things when they get unpredictable inputs.

But if you like working on your vehicle, and like the intellectual challenge of trouble-shooting, then it can be a fun toy. And when it's working right, going down the highway is a delight.

The following 2 users liked this post by Boomer from Boston:
joolz (01-28-2011), meaculpa (01-20-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Yep +1 on the secondary tensioners. I'd be looking at doing this job asap. It would be very nice indeed if you came to remove a timing cover to find the alloy tensioners in place. Read the articles here on how to do this job and get it done. You will have peace of mind after this.
Personally think you've got a nice one - it's one of the high spec' XJ's with all the bells and whistles, values are different to UK prices so I can't comment on how much you paid.
Enjoy it!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:19 AM

Received the car late last evening. Runs great, very quiet motor and smooth shifting transmission. Brand new Continental tires all around and very clean...as clean as new. All leather in perfect condition but very dry; dash, buttons and the rest of the interior in mint condition (driver's side sunvisor - clip busted). No rust at all, all fluids normal. I got two remotes, two keys (black/dark green) and all the books that come with a new car.
A few minor problems that I wasn't aware but nothing to worry (I hope):
1. Front doors speakers making buzzing noise
2. Check rear lights message when applying brakes
3. Glove box won't stay closed - PLEASE HELP - locking rod/s not sliding
4. Frond doors pockets - the cloth is coming off - cheap adhesive?
5. Steering wheel tilting only - making noise when trying to move in/out
6. Driver's head rest - cable making noise and moving very slow
7. Anyone know the size of the rear license plate screws? Car didn't come with any...
If you have any knowledge regarding the above defects, please help.
Thank you!

Last edited by meaculpa; 01-27-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts
Default 2001 vdp

The Check Rear Lights is an easy one. You've got a brake light bulb out. It happened to me. Just make sure you get the right bulbs. The steering wheel reach cable is probably broken too. There's a bunch in the archives on that. Sounds like your front speakers are blown. That's not a huge deal as long as you get the right size speakers. Again, there has been a thread or two on the size of them. I don't recall right off, but you can get them off the internet. The size is unique though, I believe. Best of luck !

The following users liked this post:
meaculpa (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep +2 on getting the tensioners checked/replaced before they break - this is your TOP PRIORITY.

You can turn off the steering wheel after getting it where you like it and that is what I would recommend. There is a switch on the side of the column. Same with the head rest, get in place and leave it there. Save fixing those kinds of things for a rainy day. :0)

My glovebox does the same thing, silicone the sliding pins and it should close well and stay closed. The front speakers get kicked a lot on these cars, so if your grills are cracked that might be what happened, or it could be loose wiring (or someone just plain fried them).

Congrats on getting a nice deal!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM

I've noticed today a Gearbox Fault message but only when I use the valet key. With the black key no code and it does shift perfect with or without the code. Weird?

Last edited by meaculpa; 01-27-2011 at 10:30 AM.