XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Newbie with SLCM question, no brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with SLCM question, no brake lights

Just bought a 2002 XJR with "no problems". When I went to pick it up, it was a ways from home, the guy selling it says the brake lights (both left and right) went out, but the high stop light works, must be a fuse. When you step on the brake it does give a "Check Rear Lights" message.

Went ahead and drove it the 800 miles home and got it in my garage to find the fuse or bulb problem and I cant find the problem.

Probably irrelevant, but the Alpine system worked fine for the first hour I drove it then it started making all kinds of hissing and popping noises and then would come in garbled and might go silent for an hour and then start back with the noises and maybe play right for a few before repeating the same routine. I decided after listening to it in the car all day like that, it sounded like a network problem. I did reload the DVD in the navigation system and it has worked fine for 2+ hours today so, hopefully that has cleared itself. I think the sound system is on a seperate module so I would think it's unrelated.

After reading past posts here I think the brake light problem could be the SLCM. I have looked at the electrical drawings I can get access to (limited to what I can get to being a newbie) and it does appear since the brake pedal switch is working to be able to activate the high stop light, seems to me that leaves the next culprit being the input in the SLCM. I will check it out tomorrow to see that there is power on the pin going in and that there is no power coming out on what I think are the two seperate outputs, one to each light.

My questions are, has anyone seen this problem before and is there a method of resetting the SLCM that might correct the problem? Also I read where someone mentioned having the SLCM repaired versus replacement, anybody know someone that does that kind of repair work?

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to provide what information I have. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Default Anyone have a SLCM Schematic?

I did find some instructions in the forum describing how to replace the switches on the SLCM module circuit board that control the brake lights, I ordered the chips and replaced them and the passenger side Brake light is now working. But the drivers side is not. I think I probably have something wrong with the installation of the chip on the driver side (High Side Smart Switch).
Does anyone have a schematic of this board or can you tell me of the three chips that are together there, which one controls which brake light. I have read it is the two outside ones for the brake lights, not the one in the middle.
The driver side brake light is the one that is not working and I had a real tough time getting the chips off the board. The one closest to the edge of the board was the first chip removed and it gave the most trouble, so maybe a damaged a trace. In the attached photo the pencil is pointing at the chip that I suspect is the drivers side switch.
I took some pictures of the process so I can post them along with the chip specs once I get the thing worked out. Thanks for any help.

[img][/img]

Old 09-27-2011, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I did not make notes when I repaird mine, so I do not rember which is which, but you can trace the traces from the connector pins back to the SSS s . Pin 9 is left brake, pin 3 is right. As I recall, the traces are not internal so you can follow back to the device.

The following users liked this post:
jt.hunter (09-28-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
Here are 2 pages I extracted from the Wiring Diagrams PDF file (note change your zoom size in your PDF viewer to 100%):

Pages from jfj2002en.pdf

I can attach this PDF extract file to an email if you are not allowed open this PDF file.

Ross - You have a good memory:
Pin BT1-3 is RH Stop Lamp Supply - Pin BT1-9 is LH Stop Lamp Supply - per reference page.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 09-27-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Jim:
No, That certainly was not from memory! I just looked up the external diagram, as you so thoughtfully posted. IWhat I think Mr. Hunter was looking for was the internal schematic. I have never seen any schematics of module internals here or anywhere else (although I have had my eye out!). I do not know what the third SSS is for- the trailer brake, I THINK., but that does not make sense to come from the SCLM, Hmmmh

Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

I found another forum thread about slcm issues. Mentions possible solution to your slcm problem.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ed-bulb-10830/

Looks like forum member jackhaheen actually repairs slcm according to the posts in the thread.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 09-28-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Default PDF please

Jim, thanks for the help, I cannot access the file yet, I'm too new so I would appreciate you forwarding me the wiring diagram you linked to in the post.
Yeah, I had seen the thread that you sent me and I appreciate that jacksheehan is offering to help people with a similar problem, but I am hard headed enough that I want to do it myself if I can, albeit with as much help as I need and can get from the forums here. I figure I can't afford to pay the premiums associated with having Jaguar take care of every problem and I love the car and want to keep it, so it is DIY as much as possible for me.
Ross was right about my request for the schematics, I am looking for the board layout. Thanks again for the assistance.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Default 2002 XJ Electrical Guide on MediaFire

Hi
You can download Electrical Guide that is on my mediafire.com account. The filename is jfj2002en.pdf indicating it is for 2002 XJ.

Page 1 in the PDF says 2001. Apparently the Electrical Guide PDF files for 2002 (jfj2002en.pdf) and 2001 (jzj2001en.pdf) have the same content and number of pages.

The 2 pages I had extracted (post#4) are pages 84 (Control Module Pin out Information) and 85 (Exterior Lighting: Rear).

Here is download weblink to the guide:

http://www.mediafire.com/?45608kcicdbir4l

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 09-29-2011 at 05:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jt.hunter (09-30-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 06:00 AM
Default Thanks Jim

Got the Doc and that will be a great help going forward.
I've ordered a couple more chips so It may be several days before I get back on this problem, for now I'm relying on a relay and some old fashined wiring, works fine except for the check rear lights message. I'll post any progress here.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

Well I'm hesitant to chime in with you all talking about chips and circuit boards, but ... there is a tendency for the wires going through the right boot hinge to break. Mine did. It's not uncommon. I had an inoperative boot light and the car was stuck in valet mode. It may not be your problem, but just thought I'd throw that in.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Default Thanks Jimmy

I have checked the signals at the SLCM, so I know the stop switch on the brake pedal is getting to the SLCM input and nothing coming out on the output wires to the lamps from the SLCM, so I'm thinking it has to be in the SLCM.
Do you know if shorted, grounded or broken wires on that hinge can cause general erratic behaviour on seemingly unrelated functions?

I used the Sunroof for the third time since I bought the car and the small headliner panel stuck back. So I have found some threads that Jimlombardi has contributed to related to removing the headliner, so following the info there that becomes my next project. I was able to fish the small panel forward so the drains will work. If anyone has any pieces of the slide tilt mechanism that they would part out, I'd appreciate hearing from them. Once I get in there I'll know exactly what has undone itself.
Thanks, Jeff