XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Next XJ: only electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts
Default Next XJ: only electric

Have been so busy this past year my "auto time" has suffered. While I remember reading and speaking about the new XJ being available as an electric .. I did not get that it was going to be available only as an electric.

We have a few hybrids in the fleet -- have tried two full electrics (Leaf and Tesla) and also a Volt. I hope Jaguar has the range to match the best Tesla or it's going to be a problem.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

I updated (not necessarily upgraded) to the XF because the current XJ grew too large for commuting and running errands around town (not to mention becoming too tight a fit in my home garage). If I made lots of cross-country trips with four adults and two weeks worth of luggage, an X351 might be the perfect size alternative to an SUV. But electric is still not ideal for long distance travel. I wonder if the all electric XJ will be a more city-friendly size? If it remains such a large sedan, sales volume may drop another 75% as it won't even be good for what its optimally sized for. Jaguar missed the perfect opportunity tho. An all electric XE would have absolutely KILLED Tesla had that come out this year.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
I updated (not necessarily upgraded) to the XF because the current XJ grew too large for commuting and running errands around town (not to mention becoming too tight a fit in my home garage). If I made lots of cross-country trips with four adults and two weeks worth of luggage, an X351 might be the perfect size alternative to an SUV. But electric is still not ideal for long distance travel. I wonder if the all electric XJ will be a more city-friendly size? If it remains such a large sedan, sales volume may drop another 75% as it won't even be good for what its optimally sized for. Jaguar missed the perfect opportunity tho. An all electric XE would have absolutely KILLED Tesla had that come out this year.
I'm sure Jaguar has done lots of market analysis ... The typical Jaguar owner was more likely to have multi cars vs a BMW and MB owner years ago ... don't know the current buyer profile. Electric makes for a lousy car in a one car household ... IMO

Driving the Tesla from NYC to Boston or DC was a pain .. once the novelty was gone (quick) I took something else. The leaf was fine around each property .. but could not get out to my weekend place. The Volt was between the two -- as long as you stayed within the "all electric" window ---made sense as a vehicle.

Agree with you on the size of the XJ -- don't need a big sedan as I once did. I think Tesla did the sedan because the demographics worked -- Those able to pay the cost were sedan buyers and those a bit younger still had teenagers and kids in collage .. needed the size. Now Tesla is going bread and butter with the 3. One look at the popularity of the Cayenne -- tells you something about the upper sedan market. And now Ford is going to stop making them. Maybe Jaguar has to go back to stunning looks over practical .. and go after the wealthy second car market. Big and electric is still a problem with current batteries. I own a Cayenne and have zero desire for the Panamera ... the car (sedan) is dying. Too bad Americans hate hatchbacks // a cool XJ with hidden hatch like the BMW GT would be perfect for me .....but, BMW could not sell them. In premium sedans MB owns the big sedan market .. BMW the mid performance ..... lower the 3's are better cars vs the MB C's. Everything else is asian .... and they are having trouble in the sedan w/trunk market.