XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

No active Security System?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017 | 03:37 PM
|
Default No active Security System?

Hi there!
After doing job after job on my Jag, I discovered that I might have some more troubles.Yes!
The car initially came with one pair of keys only,no remote. Obviously, the Security system is out of order,or? My Question is,where to find the SecurityS Module?
The car was a withdrawal once and I suspect that It might not even have such a System anymore. I anyway ordered a remote just to try if I can get some response by recode the new remote.
Further, I would like to know where to find the Module for the CATS System? Even there,I have my doubts that the CATS System works properly and I plan to measure thru the System further ahead.
Thanks for the information I already got about the CATS from some really dedicated guy(s) ,really appreciate it!

Have a good one. Thanks in advance for any response....

Roman

Last edited by Roman the Austrian Swede; 11-30-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2017 | 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Check for 2 fuses with the security module .

The CATs would be there unless you have a 420 of 430 engine CEL code .

The CATs O2 sensors are monitored by the Engine ECU and no separate module .

To correctly read through the sensors require the sensor being preheated by the dedicated sensor heater . Just follow the exhaust back from the exhaust manifold and count if there are 4 sensors total on both banks .

Attached Thumbnails No active Security System?-x308-security-untitled.png   No active Security System?-x308-2011-07-07_231616_11a.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 11-30-2017 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Roman the Austrian Swede (12-03-2017)
Old 11-30-2017 | 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

The SCLM security module is in the boot underneath the fuse box. Your SCLM is probably working properly or you would be unable to start the vehicle. When you lock the vehicle with the key the security is engaged. If you doubt it is working just roll down the drivers window, lock the car with the key and then reach in and open the door from the inside latch. Be ready to insert the key in the ignition to shut off the system and quiet the racket.
Now for CATS i am unsure as to what you are asking about.

Old 12-03-2017 | 02:57 PM
|

Hi. The thing about the CATS System (propably the wrong Thread) was actually the interest of getting a hint where I could find the Module. I actually found it today. (ADCM).
I have a "Suspension Fault" Front Left and it`s displayed on the Message Center. After checking the connections I still have the issue left which means more investigations.
Might be a Circuit Failure.
I will disconnect the ADCM tomorrow and measure for a Shortcut. Will see. Thanks for your help!
Roman

Old 12-03-2017 | 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

For a 1999 XJR do you have the active suspension system ? You will have wires coming out of the top of the shock towers which sometime rub and short out .

If it gets to it :

http://www.bagpipingandy.com/installation.html

Look at fuses ,

fuse # 1 / 20 amp Engine Management Fuse Box

fuse # 5 / 10 amp Engine Compartment Fuse Box

The solenoid wire pairs should read the same resistance and check wires for a bad car frame ground

Attached Thumbnails No active Security System?-x308-cats-untitled.png   No active Security System?-x308-cats-conn-untitled.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 12-03-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2017 | 01:05 AM
|

Thx! Found the SLM well connected in the boot;-)
Originally Posted by avern1
The SCLM security module is in the boot underneath the fuse box. Your SCLM is probably working properly or you would be unable to

start the vehicle. When you lock the vehicle with the key the security is engaged. If you doubt it is working just roll down the drivers window, lock the car with the key and then reach in and open the door from the inside latch. Be ready to insert the key in the ignition to shut off the system and quiet the racket.
Now for CATS i am unsure as to what you are asking about.

Old 12-04-2017 | 01:15 AM
|

Hi. Thanks for your terrific description
I did find the right connections allready but didn’t have the time to measure through the solenoid wiring yet.
One question? When you say “bad ground” in this case, where would I look first if you where guessing?

I appreciate it your effort!

Old 12-04-2017 | 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Bad use of words on my part . You do not want to see a shorting wire that is grounding the wires to the frame or the car . So for all 8 wires that go the the solenoids ensure that you do not have a low resistance to to the frame . You would have to find a good grounding test point like one of the built in ground studs . Have someone massage or manipulate the wires out of the top of the shock tower ( to try to make it fail as if there is a bad wire it may be intermittent and not show the failure with still or static wires ) .

Sometimes people pull the fuses on the security system

Any questions , just ask

Old 01-10-2018 | 07:29 AM
|

Hi L.P,
I did some measuring at the front shocks but the continuity and resistance seems to be fine.What is the easiest way to get to the rear shock wires?The engine is now restricted again after I pulled the fuse for the Adaptive Damping Sys and drove it a little to see if it would change anything. You never know:-)Yes it did......restriction:-(The other issue is that I have no connection to some Moduls through OBD, no connection, like the Restrainer Sys and the Adaptive D.Sys and one more which I cannot recall right now.Is there any thought you have regarding to the connection loss?An automatic search on my ICar ( Jaguar software) unit does not automatically include some systems.I would have to a manual search to get them on the screen but anyways with no connection.You wrote //some would pull the Fuse for the Security Sys?Is this module actually restricting the engine at first place? Have a nice one and thanks for any help!//Roman