XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

No crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021 | 05:26 PM
|

Thanks guys, and I respect all opinions and ideas, only problem is that I only have the one key, no remote, and no dealerships anywhere near me. I’m trying if possible to avoid trailering the car that far if possible. Especially when I am unsure of the exact problem.

Old 09-28-2021 | 05:29 PM
|

Would it make sense for me to purchase another ignition with keys? Hard to believe, but if any key will lock and unlock any car anytime, it seems like this would have to solve the issue.

Old 09-28-2021 | 05:39 PM

https://www.ebay.com/sch/pro-master-...1&_ipg=&_from= I use this guy he can cut the key of a photograph of the original one and then mail it to you. You have to send him a tribby Key Then he mails it back you cut. We had nobody out here that could do it but there are people here that can program it so when I get the key back I take the car down to a guy that has a programmer and it is done

Old 09-28-2021 | 05:41 PM

Everyone should take pictures of their keys! Just in case you lose one in the future.

Old 09-28-2021 | 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mantei885
Would it make sense for me to purchase another ignition with keys? Hard to believe, but if any key will lock and unlock any car anytime, it seems like this would have to solve the issue.
any cut key will lock and unlock the car, any key will lock it. 99% of the time it will store a P1260 to let you know it does not recognize the key.

the key transponder module and body module store chip info so you can’t just buy an ignition. if you were closer to illinois i’d program the key for you for free it takes 30 seconds with the right equipment. a rotunda vcm costs less than 300 bucks and will help you out a lot

Last edited by xalty; 09-28-2021 at 07:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mantei885 (09-29-2021)
Old 09-28-2021 | 07:10 PM

I looked for a programmer ...could not find them at that price....

Old 10-06-2021 | 12:28 AM
|
Default Ok ok …..

Ok, ok….. so I have ordered 2, “uncut, Unprogrammed, and most of all unsure if they are even the problem”, keys.
Once again everyone, PLEASE do not mistake my frustration with this issue for lack of appreciation for you all. I truly thank everyone that has given any advice or comments.
my question today is, if my key has become unprgrammed, and/or unrecognized, would not the KTM or BPM tell me that through code? it seems with all the modules, and all the communication necessary to even begin to think about starting these vehicles, where is the code for “key not recognized”? Security and Locking Module come into play here, or no? The reason this is perplexing to me is that I have had access to a scanner this week, and have now been able to clear all codes (with explanation) but these actions have not improved (or anything) the situation. So now I connect to the vehicle and all it tells me is “no codes present”
please help, please help, and thank you, thank you, thank you!

Old 10-06-2021 | 01:29 AM

Hello in both situations that I did it with failed keys on two different cars one was an XJ8 and one was an xjr there was no code that would pull up. And I too went round and round with everything. I cannot believe that was my problem but I talk to a factory trained former Jaguar technician and he said I’ve been at your key. And After the process of ordering one sending it off to be cut and then getting it back I could not believe it when it started both times. But that process doesn’t happen until that guy programmed the key I hope for the best for you

The following users liked this post:
Mantei885 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021 | 03:04 AM
|
Default Thank you

Also I dig the persistence. It worked, keys are on their way. Thank you kindly 👊🏼

Old 10-06-2021 | 10:26 AM
|
Default Update

So here’s an update as I’m sitting in the car this morning viewing live data.
at the bpm-
-ignition crank switch- 1, until attempt to crank
-starter motor relay - 1, until attempt to crank
-ignition feed positive -1, until in on or crank position. Then 0
-inertia switch -1 until on or crank, then 0
-key in ignition switch -1 with key out, 0 with key in
-security acknowledge input -1
these are obviously just what I would consider pertinent, anything jumping out at anyone?

Old 10-06-2021 | 10:28 AM

When I had the problem with the two different Jaguars both X308 I would turn the key and get a click what I thought was near the starter. But it wasn’t it was in the engine control module area. I could hear it under the dash more than anything and that was all I would get when I turn the key my code reader is not that advanced

Old 10-06-2021 | 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Do you get the new keys programmed?

In #28 Vonn noted: But that process doesn’t happen until that guy programmed the key I hope for the best for you"

Old 10-06-2021 | 12:09 PM
|

No, I haven’t received them yet. Still waiting for something to jump out at me. Doubting Thomas says how is it that I see the “ignition crank” signal, and the “starter relay” signal if I am to continue to believe I have a bad key?
I am mostly unsure about the security acknowledgment being correct or something along the lines of immobilization, but still shouldn’t get as far as the starter relay. Right?

Old 10-06-2021 | 12:11 PM
|
Default KTM

Also, is it correct that the x308’s did not have a KTM? My scanner definitely is not showing me one.

Old 10-06-2021 | 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

acronym challenged: KTM? Examine the wiring diagram to see what the key programming controls.

Old 10-06-2021 | 05:53 PM
|

Sorry, Key Transponder Module. And it is shown on the electrical drawings, just not seeing a mention of it from the scanner. Weird. The data logic is not given to me so I feel I would never be sure if I had the “ok to start” condition achieved.

Old 10-06-2021 | 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

I think the only car without a KTM is the 97 XK8 US version.

Old 10-28-2021 | 06:46 AM
|

Hi everybody, just wanted to jump in and throw a few things out there in this ongoing troublesome topic. So last we talked I had ordered two blank transponder keys for the car. The keys have arrived and I have them in my possession. So, starting to feel like everyone is correct and this is the only next option so, I called a locksmith. Now I know what I’m getting, not a dealership, not a certified Jaguar technician. So long story somewhat short, by phone the locksmith asked a few questions obviously, and his concerns were that I have no evidence of any security light. He tells me that this light should be flashing provided the car was seeing an unrecognized key. Note: I have yet to even see this light even come on, let alone flash. He proceeded to inform me that he would be happy to cut and program my new keys, but was pretty certain this would not solve my issue. We did speak briefly about the what he only referred to as a “key switch”. I can only believe he may be referring to the Key Transponder Module. He did tell me he would come out and work the keys if I would like him to, also mentioned he could probably dig a bit deeper with his diagnostic equipment. Funny he never asked what I was using 🤔
thanks in advance for any ideas my friends. I’ll probably have the keys done soon either way. But I do need to be able to move far around at least as winter is just around the corner.

Old 10-28-2021 | 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Have you seen this post by member Sone who makes keys? I do not know his knowledge realm other than making the keys, ..but he may be able to assist...https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...%20keys%20made

Old 11-03-2021 | 03:08 PM

I reread this thread. No one talks about compression or the effect of the cylinder wash? Do you seem like you have compression? The cylinder watch thing can happen real fast it cures it self fast after the oil has been dumped in the cylinders

Quick Reply: No crank no start