XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

No Fobs Programme Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 01:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool No Fobs Programme Mode?

Hiya All You Jag Folks

I've read and re-read dozens of "fob" type issues, but none are the same as my my situation at the moment. Acquired a 3.2ltr 2001 XJ8 recently with one original ignition key and one original? (LJE2610-BB) fob. Both ignition key and fob are working exactly as they should. As a precaution, I thought I'd best get a couple of "spare" fobs up and running so I'm not caught out when the inevitable happens. So got hold of x2 spare fobs running at 433htz ready to programme (or is it program?) to the car.

But forget the new fobs for now, my car will not go into programme/learning mode at all, despite dozens of attempts. I've tried various high beam flashes (4,5,6 etc) and listened keenly for any beep or light on the gear selector console. It just ain't happening. Luckily, non of these feeble minded attempts have made anything worse. Still got one good key and one good fob. Just to confirm, I'm sat normally in the car (with drivers door shut), I put key into the ignition barrel leaving it in position 0, I hold the high beam stalk (main beam lights come on and dashboard blue light) and move the key to position 1. All electrics spring to life and after a second or two, I release the high beam stalk and try the 4, 5, 6 flashing routine. Result . . Nothing at all!

I'm planning on checking the ignition key dust flap return is OK, pulling the 10 amp security module fuse and re-seating, disconnecting the security module, cleaning and re-seating all connectors and (as I've got the radio re-set codes), doing a hard (battery off and bridge lugs) re-set and hoping these actions will coax the security module into going into programme mode.

Is there anything else I could try or could I be missing something more bizarre? Given that I haven't had the car long and don't know its history, could something whacky like a sticky valet switch or something else stop the security module going into "learn" mode?

Any top tips would be gratefully received. . . . Stoke Jag Dude

Old 02-09-2024, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 886 Likes on 621 Posts

Maybe you are not doing it the correct way. This is the procedure that I used:

1. Make sure that little flap in the ignition barrel closes inside the hole - if it is sluggish or stuck then a little lock lube and working the key in and out a few times usually does the trick. This flap must be shut otherwise the locking module will think there is a key in and not allow the system to go into learning mode.

2. Get into the car with the key and remotes to hand and make sure ALL doors, bonnet and boot are properly closed.

3. Pull the headlamp flasher stalk towards the steering wheel and hold there

4. Now put the ignition key in and turn to position 1 (acc with no dash lights on)

5. Release the headlamp flasher and flash FOUR more times - the tell-tale LED on the left of the J gate gear selector should flash ONCE.

6. Now press the lock button on the remotes a total of FIVE presses (one remote 5 times ; 2 remotes, 3 on one and 2 on the other etc.) The J gate LED will flash at each button press.

7. Remove the ignition key and the J gate LED will flash ONCE more as it is taken out.

The following 3 users liked this post by M. Stojanovic:
Dude.Day (02-10-2024), Hooli (02-10-2024), Ken Cantor (02-09-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 02:40 PM
Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Some cars beeps/honks when the car enters to program mode ? Mine did not.

Old 02-10-2024, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Yes Yes . . . Figured It!!

Many thanks to M. Stojanovic who helped me figure out what I was missing.

These cars are 20+ years old and its easy to over-look simple wear and tear. My car was skipping past Position 1 and I was ending up in Position 2 and of course . . . the fob "learning" will not initiate from there. I had to figure out by trial and error (and testing when the windows would operate) where to stop the key travel to "find" position 1. The best clue was "no dash-board lights on" and after a couple of goes . . . voila x2 fobs connected.

After thinking about it and re-reading many of the similar threads . . . I'd hazard a guess that "missing" position 1 was the start of many an angst.

Cheers once again

Last edited by Dude.Day; 02-10-2024 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
The following users liked this post:
Hooli (02-14-2024)