XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

no low beam headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default no low beam headlights

my low beam headlights just went out tonight. but when i turn the left turn signal, the low beam headlights turn on but when the stalk comes back, the lights are out again. i tried to jiggle the switch stalk while it's on a left turn signal and the headlights flickers but out again if i return the stalk. i searched and it seems the switch stalk is the problem. i tried to search for a stalk removal instructions but none. does anyone here knows how to get to the signal switch stalk? thanks.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1998.pdf 9.1-9.4 is the wiring diagram.

This was what I could find from a Tech Bulletin regarding steering wheel removal, hope this at least gives some guidance....

Last edited by Highhorse; 12-13-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:27 PM

Thanks Highorse for your reply. I guess my next question would be, do I have to remove the steering wheel just to get to the stalk? Has anyone done this?

Old 12-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

You can get the switch out without removing the steering wheel I seem to remember.

you will find a broken wire where the light Stalk met some the switch area.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 896 Likes on 734 Posts

I think if you google removing steering wheel, removing air bag, multifunction switch, for Jaguar XJ8L you will find lots of threads on this forum plus some Youtube. A careful read will give you insight on what to do to resolve your problem.

Can't imagine trying to remove that switch (or finding the broken solder joint and/or wire) without removing the airbag and steering wheel, each a very simple task (carefully note the steering wheel alignment marks).

I would guess you have a bad solder joint.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:46 PM

So I got everything out including the steering wheel until I got to this part. How do I remove this upper column plastic cover? I can't find any screws, do I need to remove the instrument cluster too just to remove this cover? thanks

Old 12-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

I don't recall if that attachment is under the instruments or behind the wheel? I was going to pull mine apart after I get back from vacation (Fri), when I do my vents, chase that volume wire and the squeek from the steering. If I get to mine before you do yours, I'll let you know.
Do a site search like Jhartz said, I know I've seen a few dismantled columns doing searches for things like squeaks turning the steering wheel (like mine) and such. Also, check the link I gave you for Jag Repair and search there.
And before someone replies to that, yes I saw tech bulletin on the squeak fix using the tape.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:13 AM

Highorse, thanks again , yes the link you sent helped a lot. I also saw in one thread where the 3 screws are. Now I have to do it again.