XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

no rear tail lights SLMC

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post no rear tail lights SLMC

I have a 98 jaguar xjr. in red. I am told it is rare color and model

I have for some reason lost all of my rear stop lamps. I have checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine. According to the research I have done there seems to be something called a security and locking control module under the rear fuse box that seems to go out on these things. Anyone ever replace yours? There seems to be repair services on line for the box for 150-200 depending. I am wondering if there is a DIY repair for this box. I didnt see anything on youtube.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Have a look for the elec. stuff on JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Doesn't sound like the SCLM but have a look

Old 11-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The brake lights do go thru the SCLM but I would eliminate a few things before condemning the module. First does the Cruise Control work. If it works chances are the break light switch is OK. When you press the brake does the High brake light work? It does not go thru the SCLM. If the Cruise won't set them it is time for a new break light switch. Next remove the plugs going to the light assembly and check it for any heat burns or distortion. The ground wires are known to cause a problem with the rear lights. The obvious is also check the bulbs for proper fit and contact it the holder.
Check the plugs to the lights for voltage.
Finally remove the SCLM and thoroughly clean the connector. The SCLM is located beneath the fuse box in the boot and has a tendency to corrode.
Good luck in your troubleshooting.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 876 Likes on 722 Posts

+1 Many threads on this subject: read them all. But when you say lost all of my rear stop lamps Vern is correct, the key question is: does that include the high brake light in the rear window? That light does not go through the SLCM, and points to the brake light switch.

There is an outfit (in Idaho, I think) that will rebuild your SLCM, but it is much cheaper to get a used one off eBay (make sure your serial number matches, frequency changed over the years); and you will have to reprogram your FOBs to the replacement SLCM.

But i don't think it is the SLCM. If it is the SLCM you will go nuts trying to track it down: you will have voltage, until the brakes are applied. Whatever you do, DO NOT use the solution that RobertDIY used, it will not work and he has since disavowed it. If the upper brake light works, you can pony of that circuit. There is a thread that shows you how (but first -- answer the key question).

Last edited by Jhartz; 12-01-2016 at 04:44 PM.