XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

No Seatbelt warning and SRS on, sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts
Default No Seatbelt warning and SRS on, sometimes

My '02 drivers seatbelt warning light doe snot come on when the seatbelt is NOT inserted and in drive. There is also no warning chime. I know this can be turned on/off, but using that technique does not do anything.
I think there is some issue with the SRS as the SRS lamp comes on steady.
I have changed the clock spring in case.
I think it is odd that there is no sound and no sealtbelt light when the seatbelt is unplugged. It was previously working.

Should I look at the body control module, the Seat control module or the SRS modules?
Or wiring or grounding.
Thoughts?
/

Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Received 8,180 Likes on 4,934 Posts

What DTC(s) are in the SRS module???? (or are you just throwing parts at it hoping to guess at the right one????)

The SRS light 'ON' means the module is trying to tell you something. It will fault the circuit that is causing the MIL.

bob gauff

Old 06-16-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
What DTC(s) are in the SRS module???? (or are you just throwing parts at it hoping to guess at the right one????)

The SRS light 'ON' means the module is trying to tell you something. It will fault the circuit that is causing the MIL.

bob gauff
Hi Bob, Not yet thrown any parts at it, I prefer to take educated guesses. The clockspring was the only part changed and I tend to suspect parts that get mechanical wear 1st and it was cheap enough $30 on a sale.
I do not seem to get any DTC code flashes.
On ignition II, all lights light up. AFter start, all lights go out, then SRS comes on and stays on. NO seatbelt light or chime when seat belt is unplugged.
Just not sure which area I should go diagnoising with no apparent error codes or how to trigger error codes. Seat switch, , SRS units or body computer?
It does seem intermittent in that occasionally, it will stay off for some time (a week of driving, then start again. I am not sure though if during this time the seatbelt warning is working. Wife drives mostly and tells me the SRS light is off or on again this week.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Worn out seat belt buckles can cause an SRS code. The OBDII hand held readers most likely will not pick up on the code/cause. Going to the dealer can cost you several hundred bucks for a diagnose. There are professional companies that service body and mechanical shops that will charge half. Airbag Express is one such company, but it services Los Angeles area. Don't know of any such companies near Gilroy... I concur with Bob that a professional diagnostic should be performed first.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

My Wife's VW had the same problem. It was a broken wire in the seat belt where it flexed most. I broke open the seat belt plastic. Soldered in a longer wire to make the fix, and the DING started to work, along with the SRS light going out. Glued the plastic back together with superglue.

It can break inside the buckle, along the mounting down to the floor, or even the plug under the seat can be bad. Look for an area where it would flex MOST. That's likely the culprit area. Then trace the wires till you find the break. OR, buy a replacement belt on Ebay.

Here's an example from Ebay that shows the wire:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Driver...981af7&vxp=mtr

EDIT: Here's one in Black:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-X308-...16a177&vxp=mtr

Attached Thumbnails No Seatbelt warning and SRS on, sometimes-%24-kgrhquokpqe5vdw0whsbo-thjfit-%7E%7E60_57.jpg   No Seatbelt warning and SRS on, sometimes-%24t2ec16zhjgye9noojdmubqjs6f2oyw%7E%7E60_57.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSport; 06-17-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 PM

Thanks for inputs guys, I did an ohms check on the seatbelt latch and it reads as zero Ohms when latched and open when unlatched, so do not yet think it is the seatbelt, although I do typically suspect parts that move or interface to the human world as the ones that get the most abuse.
Wondering yet if it could be a harness issue from the seat sliding fore and aft which may explain the intermittent nature. May need to try stopping the seat auto slide and trying the test in different positions.
I would not have thought of this unless I was trying to explain to your guys, so thanks for the thoughts.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi,
I had the same problem on my car.
Take out the drivers seat and check and clean the connections into the driver seat module. Whilst the seat is out, also check the condition of the harness and also the wiring on the seat.

It took me about an hour from start to finish and the problem has never returned.

Just a thought before you go spending, hope this helps,