XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

No start..only "different"

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016 | 12:09 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default No start..only "different"

So starting (no pun intended) last night, twice while out and about I turned the key over and everything on the dash lit up as usual but no nothing from the starter, key back then forward again and she started right up. This AM it started right up, I let it run for 10 mins and then same thing, I could get it to do it about every other time after that, key forward, nothing, key back then forward again it'll start right up. It's a low milage car (50k) but I'm leaning towards the starter relay, any idea which one it is and is it "switchable" with another relay under the bonnet? When the key is forward with no starter action everything lights up on the instruments as it should. Haven't ruled out the battery but I'd rather not dump a new battery in it right away if I can swap a relay around first.

Old 12-18-2016 | 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

If i were you I would get the battery tested from your local autozone, i think they also have like a starter test, but i could be wrong. But i would get the battery tested. But if you have to cycle the key it could also be the fuel pump since you're priming the pump every time you cycle the key.

Old 12-18-2016 | 01:30 PM
|
Veteran Member

I'm going to throw a battery at it. So far I found the relays under the tool box, swapped the beogh ones out (kinda like a shell game only with relays!) disconnected the battery cables and cleaned both posts/connections and took apart the false bulkhead connectors and cleaned as well, problem still arose after. Checked the battery after it ran for 15mins and was at 12.6v static and 11.8 with the key on but engine not started. Was getting 13.9 at the posts with the engine running.

Old 12-18-2016 | 01:33 PM
|
Veteran Member

It's not the fuel pump as its doing "nothing" first turn of the key, if it were the fuel pump she would still spin the starter. It also only does it randomly, not every time.

Old 12-18-2016 | 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Before you toss a battery at it, check the ground cable at the passenger side of the engine block. It's just to make sure that you don't have high resistance grounding. If you swapped the relays under the P/S bulkhead and it's still intermittent, chances are it needs a starter.

Old 12-18-2016 | 02:29 PM
|
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm going to check the connections at the starter when I feel like getting under it.

Old 12-18-2016 | 04:01 PM
|
Veteran Member

Everything clean and snug down there. If it's the starter it'll be the lowest mileage starter I've changed in my 54years.

Old 12-22-2016 | 11:22 AM

Hi JTsmks,

Your battery voltage may be sagging low enough that the ECM will not trigger the ignition to fire, but the starter will usually turn slowly anyway.

With your symptoms, one possible suspect is the ignition switch itself, the electrical component that is mounted on the end of the ignition lock barrel. The barrel is part 6 in the diagram below, and the switch is part 2. With an ohmmeter or continuity test lamp you can test the switch at its electrical connector inside the steering wheel cowl. The part number for the switch is LNC6507AA.

Here's the link to the page at jaguarclassicparts.com:

Steering Column-Upper - Parts For XJ Series from (V)812317 to (V)F59525 (X308 - Canada/Mexico/USA) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

The setup is slightly different on the X308, but at the link below are photos showing the process of replacing the switch on our '93 XJ40:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
JTsmks (12-23-2016), XJRay (12-26-2016)