XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Non-Working Rain Sensing Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Non-Working Rain Sensing Wipers

I'm desperately hoping that someone out there will be able to offer some suggestions regarding inoperative rain-sensing wipers on my 2002 XJ8 3.2SE. All other positions (ie - fast, slow, intermittent, washer etc) work perfectly OK but with stalk knob turned to 'AUTO' and stalk put into first position I do not get auto-wipe (either with water on screen or putting hand in front of screen sensor).
I have another 2002 model and have tried swapping and testing all of the following (all of which were found to be fully functional) - wiper stalk, rain sensing module (hidden below CPU in engine bay cool box), screen sensor, interior mirror (in case of a possible broken wire), body processing module (behind glove box). I've also done a continuity test of all wires from the screen sensor to the rain sensing module, wiper stalk connectors and to the body processing module, which all checked out OK.

I know some people will say "Why bother" but I hate to be beaten and would like the car to perform as it was intended.

Having studied the wiring diagram it would appear that the only fuse relative to the rain-sensing system is fuse No 2 (5 amp) in the engine bay fuse box. I've checked that and it's fine.

Does anyone have experience of a similar problem, or have any suggestions as to where I go from here - I'd be really grateful ??

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I think there could be a break between wires and solder points from the stalk to the column, on the other side the auto lights function shows the same fault - it's a case of dropping the upper and lower cowl, airbag and steering wheel then just looking for a bad connection re-solder if found.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:18 AM

Morning Sean,

Thank you for your observation and advice. I'm leaning towards a bad joint or broken wire somewhere as well (as I said previously, I've tried swapping all the obvious components over from the other car to no avail). Unfortunately the official Jaguar wiring diagram isn't very good with regards the wash/wipe system - it doesn't show which wire coming out of the stalk assembly is linked to the 'AUTO' position and then onto the Rain Sensing Module - it just labels all positions as 'delay' (although I think it's probably the green/blue wire). I'll have to do as you suggest and drop the shrouds etc to check the soldered joints and check for continuity (when I work out which wire it is) to the Rain Sensing Module. If there is a bad joint/broken wire though it's probably further along the loom somewhere as I've already tried swapping the stalk assembly. If that is the case then I'll probably just admit defeat and use my time doing something more useful like gardening/decorating/taking the family out etc. Oh, the joys of Jaguar ownership !!

Thanks again. Regards Keith

Old 05-17-2014, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Photo of a new Jaguar LNF6460AA Wiper Switch Washer Auto Wipe XJ8 XJR Windshield Washer Lever for sale on Ebay ($199 really high price).

I am not recommending that you buy it, but it does show the part and what the wiring looks like:

Here is the weblink to the Ebay listing:

Jaguar LNF6460AA Wiper Switch Washer Auto Wipe XJ8 XJR Windshield Washer Lever | eBay

Jim Lombardi

Old 05-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Here is JTIS instructions and illustrations on the Wiper Switch R&I

Weblink:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g11qmqxbkt...ch%20R%26I.pdf

Jim Lombardi

Old 05-17-2014, 07:46 AM

Thanks Jim - it's really good of you to take the time to pass those links onto me. I'm about to go back out to the car to check for negative switched feed to the Rain Sensor Module from the stalk - as I have a suspicion that that is where the problem may lie. That being the case it's then the tedious task of finding the bad joint/connection. I've spent so much time trying to sort this problem out that I'm now reluctant to give up - I'm NOT a quitter !

Thanks again. Kind regards - Keith

Old 05-17-2014, 08:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainQ
I'm desperately hoping that someone out there will be able to offer some suggestions regarding inoperative rain-sensing wipers on my 2002 XJ8 3.2SE. .........
Welcome to the forum Keith,

I think you've just made the record for time elapsed between registration and first post!

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Looks like Sean and Jim have got all the relevant info for you so nothing I can add other than to agree with you that if something is fitted to the vehicle then it has to work.

I must say rain sensing wipers are my least favourite accessory. I've generally found on an X308, 2 XK8's and my current XK that they are far too sensitive and tend to drag the wipers across a barely wet windscreen.

Graham

Old 05-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Same car and year here, same problem. But mine works all the time if I put it to Auto, even if there is no rain.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Hi.

You probably have a faulty screen sensor - check that the bond to the screen is good (ie - no bubbles where the silicon/adhesive is). I'd rather have your problem - at least it shows that your system works. Today, I've double-checked all the wires for continuity and they all seem fine - so no broken wires as I suspected there may have been. I really am at a loss now - the only thing left to check now is the wiper motor itself (all other functions work OK though, so I'm not very hopeful that the problem lies there).

Good luck with solving your problem. Regards Keith

Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe this wiring diagram of the Wash/ Wipe System - I copied from the 2001 Jaguar Electrical Guide will help.

It shows the Rain Sensor component wired to interior rear view mirror, then wired to the Rain Sensing Module, then to Wash/ Wipe Stalk and to Wash/ Wipe Control section of the Body Processor Module.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...psa26ee9eb.jpg

After the image opens increase the internet browser zoom to 200% to get a better view of the large diagram.

Jim Lombardi

Old 05-18-2014, 04:14 AM

Thanks for that Jim - it's appreciated. I've been working from the same diagram already. Whilst it shows the wires going to the interior mirror, they only pass through the mirror stem and join the mirror wiring to join part of the loom - the sensor wires don't actually connect to the mirror system.
I really am running out of options now (my wife thinks I'm going mad !) -
the next step is to check out the wiper motor - there's a red/white wire that goes from the Rain Sensing Module to the wiper motor and the Body Processor Module (I've already checked for continuity but I'll check whether the wire becomes live when water is sprayed onto screen - if it does then that would indicate a problem with the motor ?? As I said previously though, all other wiper functions work OK, so I'm not hopeful)

I'm used to resolving problems with these complex cars, but this one has really got me stumped.

Thank you for your input - it really is appreciated. Regards Keith

Old 05-18-2014, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

Keith
Sounds like you are using the right trouble shooting steps.

Obviously by spraying water on the windshield and testing the various inputs and outputs (based on the wiring diagram) is your best bet to resolving it.

Checking the live operation of the system should show you why the rain sensing is not working.

Hope you find it soon.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 05-18-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Keith
Have have tested the Rain Sensing fuse?
It is in the Engine Compartment Fuse box -– Left-hand Side, Fuse# 10, 5 amp.

Fusebox has 22 fuses in it. There are two fuse boxes in the main engine compartment, located on the left-hand side. The larger of the fuse boxes, the engine compartment fuse box, contains 22 fuse positions.

Non-Working Rain Sensing Wipers-xj-x308-engine-compartment-fusebox.jpg

I also have rain sensing fuse in #10, I checked it this morning. At least I will know where to look when and if ours ever fails.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 05-18-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:58 PM

Thanks again Jim. I have checked & changed the fuse, although there is some confusion as to which fuse number is correct - the handbook (Page 4-17) says fuse No 10 (5 amp) but if you check the wiring diagram (01.4) it shows fuse No 2 (5 amp), supplying power to the Rain Sensing Module. The diagram shows fuse No 10 as 'unused' ?? Having said that I do have a fuse in that particular location but haven't a clue what it relates to. On my other 2002 car, removing the fuse from No 2 stops the Rain Sensing System working - fuse No 10's removal doesn't affect it - so who knows what system it's connected to ??

Very confusing, but i'm determined not to be beaten (No matter what my wife and family say !!)

Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Keith
I think the Vehicle Care Handbook has the correct fusebox information.
It appears that some of Jaguar Electrical documention does not always agree. There are 3 sources - Vehicle Care Handbook, Electrical Guide, JTIS Electrical Section 418-00.

A long way back, my wife dropped a penny into the front lighter (cigar lighter).

I looked up the fuseboxes information in the JTIS. It pointed me to the right heelboard fuse #14.

I knew that was wrong because when looked at that fusebox there was no fuse in #14 fuse location.

The Vehicle Care Handbook was correct. It showed the luggage compartment (trunk) fusebox fuse 5 (25 amps) for both front and rear cigar lighters.

The Electrical Guide also was correct. Fig 20.1 Cigars Lighters Ref 30 and 31.
leads you back to Fig 01.4 Trunk Fuse Box Fuse 5 (25 amps).

So as you can see from above that the Vehicle Care Handbook and the Electrical Guide have the same correct information on the Cigar lighters fuse location.

I think the Vehicle Care Handbook is correct with Rain Sensing fuse 10 fuse location.
By the way, JTIS is wrong because it also say fuse 10 has no fuse in the Engine Compartment Fusebox, the same information provided by the Electrical Guide Fig 01.4 per Fig 14.1 Rain Sensing.

Here are the details on how I located the information on the Cigar Lighters:

2002 XJ Vehicle Care Handbook

Page 47 (in PDF) 4-20 Roadside emergency service
Luggage Compartment Fuse box – Electrical Carrier
Fuse No 5 Rating (amps) 25 Cigar lighters

JTIS

2002 XJ Range - Electical section, 418-00 subsection,
Description and Operation, Communications Network
Heelboard Fuse Box - Right hand side (Heelboard)
Fuse No 14 Rating (amps) 25 Cigar lighters

2002 (2001) Electrical Guide

Fig 01.4 Ignition Switched Power Distribution
RH Heellboard Fuse Box
Fuse #14 indicates no fuse

Also on Fig 01.4 is the Trunk Fuse Box
Fuse #5 (25 amps) goes to Fig 20.1 Ref 31 & 32

Fig 20.1 Ancillaries
Cigar Lighers
Front Cigar Lighter ref 31
Rear Cigar Lighter ref 32

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 05-19-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:48 AM

Hi again Jim,

All very confusing. Tomorrow I think I might unscrew and lift up the engine compartment fusebox and see what colour wires go to fuses No 2 & 10 - that may help (fuse No 10 must do something otherwise they wouldn't bother putting an actual fuse there - surely ??). Thanks for the advice, incidently, regarding Ross - I'll send him a message later - it may be a problem he's encountered before ??

Thanks again - really appreciated.