XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Noob here that needs help from you experts! PLS!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob here that needs help from you experts! PLS!!

hello people,

Im new to the forum but I had my hand me down 2001 Vanden Plas V8 for a year now and Im loving it. Just a couple days back I noticed that whenever I turn off the car, 3 seconds later, the fan starts blowing. Now I was told that it's normal but why all of a sudden a couple days ago. I never experienced this with my car since I got it.

While I was driving today, I noticed after around 25 mins of driving, I can hear the fan sounding like its working harder than normal and my temp gauge almost reaching the red point but going up and down here and there.

Now I checked the coolant and it seems to be at the amount its suppose to be (lined up with the orange washer looking thing right)?

Im such a noob at this thats why im glad I found this board and asking you experienced in this department. I'm starting to educate myself so I can solve simple problems with the car. Thank you guys in advance!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Urgent that you replace the thermostat before you incur serious engine damage.
________

Last edited by Norri; 11-25-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Link Removed
Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by Markus
Urgent that you replace the thermostat before you incur serious engine damage.
X2 very much agree

Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 PM

thanks guys for your input. so you mean to tell me its just my thermostat malfunctioning? I mean my car seemed to struggle when it almost hit red on my gauge. so its nothing under the hood? does that make sense? sorry i feel dumb right now.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts
Talking

The thermostat is under the hood. So is the waterpump. I replaced both when I got my 2001 VdP. The waterpumps have plastic vanes up to a certain point - I know mine did - and the new ones are metal. The plastic ones disintegrate and cause problems. They are easy to replace and not too expensive, but definitely worth the peace of mind.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Exclamation X3 It's the Thermostat!!!

Listen, it's the thermostat. Classic case of thermostat stuck closed, causing fan to run when it shouldn't. Jaguar built in a bypass, but it is not sufficient to handle long trips in hot weather. Your next indication will be droplets of coolant under the radiator, primarily coming from around the thermostat. After that, the rubber will eventually fail, or the plastic thermostat housing, and you will have a big time coolant leak.

Jag aluminum engines WILL NOT STAND AN OVERHEAT.

$25.00 and about 30 minutes total with a 10mm socket (three bolts facing you from the thermostat housing) and you're done. Spray some PBS blaster on the bolts and the bolt ends where they protrude on the other side, and wait about 10 minutes. Easy on teh wrench when loosening and tightening, or you could, (and may anyway) strip out the bolts. If you do - no big deal. Go to hardware store and get some 10mm nuts and 3 bolts that are about 3/4" longer, and bolt it together. It just takes a little more coordination and three hands to secure the bolts and nuts). just be careful with that plastic thermostat housing, and don't torque down when you tighten it back up, or else it WILL strip. You need only about 7 inch-lbs... Or "just snug" with a screwdriver handled driver with 10mm extension. You use a socket handle, and you will strip it.

Level of difficulty: 2

If you have some down time, and are experienced, I would also recommend changing the plastic thermostat housing to aluminum, as well as the water pump. Total investment: about $130.00, and you will be money WAY ahead.

However, at least swap the thermostat.

Oh yeah, and buy yourself a subscription to ALLDATA...