XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Normal Engine Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal Engine Noise?

2001 XJ8 Sov AJ27

Is this a normal sounding engine? I have been doing some work around the car and noticed a *new* ticking sound from the engine. I don’t know if my mind is playing tricks on me but I’d like to hear from the group if this sounds normal or if it does not.
i have uploaded a video on youtube so we can hear the ticking sound. There is also what seems like a vacuum hiss that I am not sure is normal, I’d like to hear any thoughts on what to look out for.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 423 Likes on 309 Posts

That strange short noise at time-codes 10sec, 38sec and 40sec is something I do not think it right.
Not sure what it is, but it could be the timing tensioners (primary and secondary) or damaged timing chain guides (and resulting slack of the chain).
I assume you know all about the OE timing chain tensioners and guides, that they are made of brown plastic (bakelite) and that they should have been replaced a long time ago, as those parts were basically a design failure...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-swap-266724/

Old 01-18-2024, 07:29 PM

I didn’t include my self diagnosis (my initial assumption was that it was timing chain related )

i guess its time to check the tensioners and try to tackle this.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

That noise at timecode 10sec alone would not worry me too much, as the oil needs a little bit of time after start-up to be pumped into the tensioners to do their job. But then it is there again at 38 and 40 sec.

Note that my link is about my 3.2L X308, and I do not have VVT. You would have VVT, and you would definitely need that special tool to hold the "sprockets" on the cam-shafts when loosening them and during tightening them up. And there are other threads about the X308 timing chains, and I can only hope that my "low budget" chain kit will be good enough - it certainly looked all good, but there are others, who are of the opinion that investing real big money into a very expensive kit is necessary. I am undecided about that.

Note aside:
The X308 has an interference engine, i.e. valves and pistons are occupying the same space - just not at the same time, 'cause if they would, the valves would loose that battle...

Old 01-18-2024, 08:16 PM

Thank you for taking time to respond Peter.

time to brush up on the how to’s and wait for the temps in NY to creep up past 25 degrees.

Safe to say its best to probably change them as soon as possible right?

Old 01-18-2024, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

IF the problem are indeed the chains/guides/tensioners, then yes, the sooner the better.

I assume you are thinking about 25°C, because 25F would be -3.8°C.

You would also need the "brackets" which keep the cam-shafts in their position with the flat bit on top. They can be bought, but I made some myself.

Old 01-20-2024, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

I was actually hoping that you'd get a second opinion of the noise your engine makes from someone else, too.
As I wrote from the onset, I am not sure, if the noises are timing-chain related. It's just my best guess...

So in the absence of any other feedback, I'd like to add:
The rattling noises on my X308 were much worse (right from the start, when I bought it). I never considered any other reason than the chains. But surprise...: After I swapped chains, guides and tensioner the exact same rattling was still present. Then I did, what I should have done at the beginning: Use a Mechanic's stethoscope, i.e. a big screwdriver and hold the metal end to all the various places, where you think, the noise is coming from, while you hold the other end to your ear. That way you get a better idea, where the noise is coming from.

And when I finally did this, I was sure that all the rattling was coming from one of the catalysts. Hence, I swapped those, too (found some for a good price).. And indeed: When the bad catalyst was off the car, I saw that the complete honey-comb-structure inside the cat was falling around in there totally loose. Strange though that the cat-rattling always stopped about 10 sec. after first startup of the day....

Anyway, I never regretted swapping the chains, tensioners and guides, too, as those OE plastic parts were kind of an imperfect design to start with, and - rattle or not - it's a very good idea to replace them.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:24 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

No that doesn't sound normal, the sound at the 37 – 38 second mark sounds like a slack timing chain running on the front timing cover. It’s time to pull that right (passenger) side cam cover and see exactly what tensioner is in there. You could also pull the oil pan and check for plastic debris.

You will definitely need the crank steady and cam locks to do this job, I have them if you want to loan them but I’m up near Springfield, Western Mass – a bit of a drive but you’re welcome to borrow them.

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (01-29-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I wanted to write that, too, what Hell-Cat wrote:
It's an idea to remove that cam-cover, which is easier to remove, just for the purpose of "having a look": Without that cam cover, you will be able to see the secondary tensioner, and if you see brown plastic (bakelite) on that tensioner, it is the OE tensioner, and it means that it is advisable to swap chains, guides and tensioners.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:11 PM

Gentlemen thank you for the responses - to be safe rather than sorry its time to check the chains and tensioners to see whats going on.
-hell cat I appreciate the offer - maybe I’ll swing by the mass moca and then stop by and borrow the tools! In any event fingers crossed hopefully PO changed/upgraded the tensioners and chains, wont bet on it though.