XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

O2 Simulators

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021 | 11:15 AM
|
Default O2 Simulators

Has anyone here done a cat delete and used these O2 Simulators?
Doesn't make much sense to leave the most restrictive part of the exhaust. They gotta go.

Old 08-25-2021 | 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Why? And where are you located?

Old 08-25-2021 | 11:33 AM
|

Originally Posted by Jhartz
Why? And where are you located?
Somewhere I don't have to run a power robbing, heat inducing cat. Or any EPA/EU5 mandated garbage. In Iowa.

The following users liked this post:
cityboy (08-26-2021)
Old 08-25-2021 | 11:35 AM
|
Old 08-25-2021 | 08:49 PM
|

Yeah, I didn't think so seeing most of you here probably live where removing a cat on a car would amount to a life prison sentence.

Old 08-26-2021 | 06:11 AM

We have an emissions test every two years in VA in certain high density population areas. . I think it’s all done electronically now via the OBD port, but we also have roadside sniffer/test boxes on cloverleafs that will sniff what your car is putting out, snap a picture of your license tag, and you can then go online and send in the inspection fee. I think we also retain the capability at service station testing points to use a probe to sniff the gas components. I’m guessing this would not fly in the high-density areas of VA that require emissions testing.

Old 08-26-2021 | 09:59 AM
|

Originally Posted by eliotb
We have an emissions test every two years in VA in certain high density population areas. . I think it’s all done electronically now via the OBD port, but we also have roadside sniffer/test boxes on cloverleafs that will sniff what your car is putting out, snap a picture of your license tag, and you can then go online and send in the inspection fee. I think we also retain the capability at service station testing points to use a probe to sniff the gas components. I’m guessing this would not fly in the high-density areas of VA that require emissions testing.
Here in the Midwest, we have no such thing and we freely eliminate such damaging things as cats and crankcase venting back into the intake. These serve no one but the treehuggers and despite what I've read in some old threads here, they are not good for your engine. I don't care what the manufacturer says or does to make it sound like they are.
I'm somewhat taken aback by the treatment and comments made by some here to others inquiring about these things. Just because their laws forbid it doesn't make a cat delete something that shouldn't be done in the interest of a better running engine.
I'm looking into these O2 simulators as a means to do so successfully. Otherwise I have no problem editing parameters in an ECM if it's possible either. I'm quite experienced in the use of race tuners, creating my own AFR and Ignition tables, etc. as well.
These engines like all ICEs are set up to run way too lean from the factory because of such bs laws forced upon them. All any of this does is cause excess heat all in the name of this global warming nonsense.
When they want to pay for my car and the damages caused by all this emissions bs, they can decide how it should run. Until then, I'll decide.
Obviously this place won't be much help.
I'm not looking to squeeze every last pony out of it either. I AM looking to make it run as cool as possible tho. This means doing away with emissions, restrictions, and adding fuel. 14.7:1 AFR is way too lean. I could care less about mpg.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 08-26-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-27-2021 | 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

I can see that the simulator is for narrow band O2 sensor replacement only. As I understand, the AJ27 engines use wide band O2 sensors at pre-cat and narrow band at post-cat meaning the simulator is only good to replace the post-cats. However, the product specification states that these simulators "mimic fluctuating voltage" but the post cat O2 sensors do not really fluctuate when the CAT is good and will start fluctuating when the CAT goes bad and this fluctuation of the post-cat O2 sensor triggers the fault code. So, it might be the case that, if you plug-in a fluctuating simulator as post-cat, it will immediately cause the fault code. Perhaps something to check with the supplier. Below are oscilloscope recordings of the pre-cat signal (left) and the post-cat signal (right).

Old 08-27-2021 | 12:14 PM
Old 08-27-2021 | 02:17 PM
|

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
I can see that the simulator is for narrow band O2 sensor replacement only. As I understand, the AJ27 engines use wide band O2 sensors at pre-cat and narrow band at post-cat meaning the simulator is only good to replace the post-cats. However, the product specification states that these simulators "mimic fluctuating voltage" but the post cat O2 sensors do not really fluctuate when the CAT is good and will start fluctuating when the CAT goes bad and this fluctuation of the post-cat O2 sensor triggers the fault code. So, it might be the case that, if you plug-in a fluctuating simulator as post-cat, it will immediately cause the fault code. Perhaps something to check with the supplier. Below are oscilloscope recordings of the pre-cat signal (left) and the post-cat signal (right).

Right. All you need is the downstream simulators so long as the two upstream sensors are working properly according to the instruction/manual I have downloaded.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
instructions_795.pdf (174.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-27-2021 | 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJR-99
I like. Thanks!

So since the since the aj27 pre cat sensors are wide band, then that should give us an accurate afr at wot, when looking at wot afr through a scan tool?

I only ask because I have scanned 4 2002 xjr's. And they all read lean as heck at wot.

Old 08-27-2021 | 02:57 PM
|

Originally Posted by XJR-99
Well this is indeed interesting. I'm going to have to look into this further.
In any case I'm betting a cat delete is all that's needed as far as exhaust mods go. Those damn things are bad news and extremely restrictive heat monsters.
First thing that goes on most Harleys too is all the emissions crap. Totally ruins an ICE. Of course the *** clowns making those laws could give a crap about our engines.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 08-27-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2021 | 03:00 PM
|

Originally Posted by Z07Brandon
I like. Thanks!

So since the since the aj27 pre cat sensors are wide band, then that should give us an accurate afr at wot, when looking at wot afr through a scan tool?

I only ask because I have scanned 4 2002 xjr's. And they all read lean as heck at wot.
The simulators I posted have adjustments to enrichen the AFR as well. Read thru the doc I attached.
I would imagine being a European car it is lean as hell. EU emissions are worse than the EPAs. But the treehuggers are trying to make ours as bad as theirs. One thing Trump was doing right was putting a tight leash on the EPA and reversed 77 EPA regulations. Too bad Biden is a treehugger himself. I despise these people with a passion.
It's no wonder these cars have heat issues. Lean AFRs and restrictive exhausts are a recipe for heat issues. We'll get 'em fixed up tho!

13.8 is where I want my cruise AFR and 12.8 to 13.2 is optimal for WOT. More fuel also allows for more ignition advance which equals more power and cooler running engine as well.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 08-27-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2021 | 09:41 AM

Maybe you can replace the fuel injection with carbs cause, what do those so called engineers know anyway. Maybe you can really own those libs and put some cow magnets on there at the same time. As you basically said, screw the environment, the world revolves around you.

And, just so you know. Tampering with or bypassing emissions is a Federal, not a state in all cases, crime. Recently the feds went after a bunch of "tuners". They have siezed their sales records and are now pursuing their customers. Of course some only think laws should apply to those "other people" so if the hood fits...

Last edited by Amphicar770; 09-03-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2021 | 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Amphicar770
Maybe you can replace the fuel injection with carbs cause, what do those so called engineers know anyway. Maybe you can really own those libs and put some cow magnets on there at the same time. As you basically said, screw the environment, the world revolves around you.
Have a nice weekend!

Old 09-03-2021 | 11:44 AM
|

And, just so you know. Tampering with or bypassing emissions is a Federal, not a state in all cases, crime. Recently the feds went after a bunch of "tuners". They have siezed their sales records and are now pursuing their customers. Of course some only think laws should apply to those "other people" so if the hood fits...

*edited* because I'm not arguing with a treehugger that doesn't know the first thing about an internal combustion engine.

As for the engineers, they didn't do what they did in the best interest of the vehicles, they did what they were forced to. Get a clue, son.
Around these parts we're smart enough to know the difference and free enough to do something about it. But you go right ahead and starve your carboned up engine of fuel and plug up your exhaust to your heart's content if it helps you sleep at night thinking you saved the planet. Not everyone is so naive.
Run along now and go educate someone who gives a $h!+ what you think, say, or do. I'm not one of them.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 09-03-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2021 | 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
*edited* because I'm not arguing with a treehugger that doesn't know the first thing about an internal combustion engine.
I rest my case. And I won't waste further time with a so called "patriot " who does not give a rats **** about others or the environment. who follows only those laws he likes, etc. The crux of your 6th grade argument is Bubba knows better and anyone who disagreesi s a "tree hugger". Does not change the fact that YOU are committing a felony, but oh yeah I'm sure you think laws only apply to blacks and immigrants.

Good luck in court. I imagine you will use the "sovereign citizen " defense. And remember. Felons have their gun "rights" taken away.

Old 09-09-2021 | 03:06 PM

I rest my case. And I won't waste further time with a so called "patriot " who does not give a rats **** about others or the environment. who follows only those laws he likes, etc. The crux of your 6th grade argument is Bubba knows better and anyone who disagreesi s a "tree hugger". Does not change the fact that YOU are committing a felony, but oh yeah I'm sure you think laws only apply to blacks and immigrants.

Good luck in court. I imagine you will use the "sovereign citizen " defense. And remember. Felons have their gun "rights" taken away.
Long time browser, first time poster. I just feel compelled to back up Gunner here after reading some of his posts on emissions. I"m not sure where some of you live but here in the states you don"t go to jail for such nonsense and many states could really care less. All these emissions mandates are NOT good for any engine. Whether it's cats, crankcase breathers circulated back to the engine, or very lean AFRs. Seems to be a lot of false information being circulated on this forum concerning this subject. Perhaps some should stick to the facts or answer posts they're qualified to answer
BTW, I'm a mechanic.

We've had good experiences with both simulators and mini cats.

Have a nice day.

89 Jacobra (09-11-2021)
Old 09-10-2021 | 01:58 PM

The rest of the car will fall apart long before the engine ever fails due to proper emissions equipment.

But, hey you guys are all smarter than me. That's why you are showing off your intelligence by posting about committing a federal crime on a public forum. Just like other criminals who get busted for boasting about their exploits like storming the capitol.

It's a federal law in all 50 states regardless of emissions or inspection. You could be fined up to $10,000 dollars.

But hey, no one who works for, or has family members who work for the EPA could possibly be on these forums as they must all be out hugging trees. Or. Maybe they are watching and have already reached out to your isp based on your ip address. Hmmmm.

Good luck.. because patriots say "f the environment and everyone else. Our forefathers died so that we could be free to screw over our fellow citizens, pollute the country, and be selfish tools".

Old 09-10-2021 | 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Samilcar (09-13-2021)

Quick Reply: O2 Simulators