XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

OBD reader

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 02:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default OBD reader

Greetings,

I apologize for asking a question that has been asked and answered multiple times, however my situation does not really match those described in other posts...

I have a 2000 XJ8, 3.2.
I often have these common ABS and ASC error messages, and recently, a ENGINE FAILSAFE MODE error (although the engine wouldn't even start here). Seems to have been related to a too low voltage on the battery though, but :

I have a bluetooth odb reader, a OBDLink MX from Scantool, with Torque on the phone, as well as an Innova 3130c which I bought because the bluetooth thing only gives the real-time information (temp, speed, fuel, etc), but doesn't pick up the error codes.

So does the Innova

This is a bit odd, because unless the "c" on the Innova version stands for "haha screw you", it should be working...

So : can someone point me towards a reader that WILL work on this car? A standalone device, or a computer software actually, this would work for me as well...

Note : I'm in Europe, France specifically, although the car was originally in Belgium. I don't know if that is relevant.

Regards,

Old 04-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

A Bluetooth device (EML327) plus Torque or Torque pro on an Android device is used by several here, so should work.
If that is not the case for you, there might be something wrong on your side.

There are some threads on this forum of people having difficulties to connect, or rare, where the car connection had a software or hardware problem.

You might want to do a forum-search on it, and have a look for it on the X351 forum as well.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

See if there are other apps you can use with the MX, maybe Dash Command.

Also, contact their tech support

The problem I've seen sometimes is that the jags are OBD II but in a slightly unusual (but legally conforming) way which some software fails to cope with.

Last edited by JagV8; 04-11-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:16 AM

Hello,

Thank you for both the answers. I've made some new research and eventually found that other people were apparently having similar issues (getting partial information), so hopefully I can rule out a faulty ECU.

Indeed I have found a post advising to try Dash Command, I've installed and will test it later today.
Contacting Innova's support might be worth a shot as well! Otherwise I'll try going to a mechanic and see what their own tools say.

Cheers

Old 04-11-2017, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackson_Dkmg
I have a bluetooth odb reader, a OBDLink MX from Scantool, with Torque on the phone, as well as an Innova 3130c which I bought because the bluetooth thing only gives the real-time information (temp, speed, fuel, etc), but doesn't pick up the error codes.
???

All OBDLink devices ship with OBDWIZ which is their
private labelled version of the standalone Touchwiz.

Installs on a PC and will definitely display powertrain
codes, logging, clear codes, evaluate emissions test
readiness, and show custom dashboards.

It is plug and play on the X308./X100.

I have recommended that base OBDLink device here
multiple times because the device+software bundle
makes it easy to get going at a decent price. The
ELM327 route requires digging up software separately.

Last edited by plums; 04-11-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:09 AM

Ermf. I don't have that. The device was given by a friend, I'll ask him whether he got the software as well.