XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Octopus coolant hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 885 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by OUScooby
So again I'm left with the conclusion that this clip must be involved in locking the collar, but I'm still at a loss as to how.
The collar is locked by the thing marked with the red line. There was no green clip on the connector on my car when I removed it for the first time.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Look at this other thread on the how to lock the plastic norma
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nector-102883/

Old 03-31-2019, 11:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Look at this other thread on the how to lock the plastic norma
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nector-102883/
Yes but even with the green band exposed which should indicate it is locked I can easily unlock it by hand just by sliding back the collar

Old 04-01-2019, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

Yes but even with the green band exposed which should indicate it is locked I can easily unlock it by hand just by sliding back the collar
According to the picture you posted earlier (also shown below), there appears to be a ridge (pointed at by the red line) against which the single release clip is sitting to prevent the collar sliding back when it is fully in the lock position. Is this how your single clip is currently sitting?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
According to the picture you posted earlier (also shown below), there appears to be a ridge (pointed at by the red line) against which the single release clip is sitting to prevent the collar sliding back when it is fully in the lock position. Is this how your single clip is currently sitting?
Yes this is how it it currently sitting, no matter how much I pull on the collar it will not more any further forward or lock into place. This is really holding up me putting the car back together because I cannot but back on the intake manifold, super charger etc as I don't want to bury the hose beneath them.
The whole reason the car is taken apart is because the heads needed rebuilding after it overheated due to a collant leak. It was an expensive repair and I even questioned if it was worth doing given the value of these car so I would hate to put it all back together just to have it leak again. As it stands right now I have ZERO confidence that this hose it connected properly and wont leak, and I can't really go any further without sorting this out first.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member

As it stands right now I have ZERO confidence that this hose it connected properly and wont leak, and I can't really go any further without sorting this out first.
Just had a look at my used spare Norma connector. My observations:

1. It is not possible to push the locking collar forwards (into the locked position) unless the 3 tabs that are part of the collar and move forward with it (they are pronounced over the metal pipe when in locked position) are spread out a bit first. I used three toothpicks to spread the tabs a bit and I could then move the locking collar into the locked position. This was a "dry" test, i.e. without inserting the metal pipe into the Norma. I also established that, when the Norma is pushed over the metal pipe, the ridge of the pipe will push the three tabs out a bit which will allow the collar to then be pushed into the locked position. This means that, if you could push the locking ring forward after putting the Norma over the metal pipe, you have plugged the connector in correctly.

2. In the locked position, the single clip sits next to a plastic ridge of the Norma body as I have shown on the previous picture and as how your single clip is sitting (confirmed by you). The single clip does not really hold the locking ring very strongly in this position - when I pushed the locking ring a bit harder backwards, the single clip popped over the plastic ridge and I could move the ring back into the unlocked position. A strong locking action by the single clip is not really necessary, the locking ring will not move back by itself and it will even get a bit stuck in its locked position over time. If you keep just a small pressure with your finger on the "finger" of the single clip that sits next to the plastic ridge, you will not be able to slide the locking ring back.

3. Finally, to verify that your Norma is sitting fully in, verify that the ridge of the metal pipe is sitting where the red line shows on the picture below (the metal pipe ridge is not seen on the pic).

From your picture, it appears that you have engaged the Norma correctly. It will not leak if the section of the metal pipe that engages the Norma's O-ring is smooth and has no serious corrosion.

Last edited by M. Stojanovic; 04-09-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Am I misreading or are you trying to install it with the bright green ring still in place? That's there to prevent accidental locking.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:01 PM

Just had a look at my used spare Norma connector. My observations:

1. It is not possible to push the locking collar forwards (into the locked position) unless the 3 tabs that are part of the collar and move forward with it (they are pronounced over the metal pipe when in locked position) are spread out a bit first. I used three toothpicks to spread the tabs a bit and I could then move the locking collar into the locked position. This was a "dry" test, i.e. without inserting the metal pipe into the Norma. I also established that, when the Norma is pushed over the metal pipe, the ridge of the pipe will push the three tabs out a bit which will allow the collar to then be pushed into the locked position. This means that, if you could push the locking ring forward after putting the Norma over the metal pipe, you have plugged the connector in correctly.

2. In the locked position, the single clip sits next to a plastic ridge of the Norma body as I have shown on the previous picture and as how your single clip is sitting (confirmed by you). The single clip does not really hold the locking ring very strongly in this position - when I pushed the locking ring a bit harder backwards, the single clip popped over the plastic ridge and I could move the ring back into the unlocked position. A strong locking action by the single clip is not really necessary, the locking ring will not move back by itself and it will even get a bit stuck in its locked position over time. If you keep just a small pressure with your finger on the "finger" of the single clip that sits next to the plastic ridge, you will not be able to slide the locking ring back.

3. Finally, to verify that your Norma is sitting fully in, verify that the ridge of the metal pipe is sitting where the red line shows on the picture below (the metal pipe ridge is not seen on the pic).

From your picture, it appears that you have engaged the Norma correctly. It will not leak if the section of the metal pipe that engages the Norma's O-ring is smooth and has no serious corrosion.
What you are saying makes sense but I'm still just not convinced that it is in fact securely locked. Why include the green clip to prevent accidental locking if it is not at all difficult to unlock it?

Old 04-09-2019, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

I have not seen the green clip as there wasn't any on my Norma before I unplugged it. Looking at the picture you provided, it seems that the three "fingers" of the green clip engage into the three slots between the Norma's main segments that hold the connector onto the ridge of the metal pipe. I believe that this is for the purpose of keeping the Norma's three main segments in a slightly spread position to make it easier to push them over the ridge of the metal pipe. If the green clip is (in theory) kept in, it would not allow the Norma's locking ring to slide over the three main segments as they would not flex inwards due to the green clip fingers holding them spread. Otherwise, it is obvious that the green clip is designed to be pushed out when the locking collar is pushed forward. You can keep the green clip to insert it back in case you later need to disconnect the Norma for some reason.

Last edited by M. Stojanovic; 04-09-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:03 PM

I have not seen the green clip as there wasn't any on my Norma before I unplugged it. Looking at the picture you provided, it seems that the three "fingers" of the green clip engage into the three slots between the Norma's main segments that hold the connector onto the ridge of the metal pipe. I believe that this is for the purpose of keeping the Norma's three main segments in a slightly spread position to make it easier to push them over the ridge of the metal pipe. If the green clip is (in theory) kept in, it would not allow the Norma's locking ring to slide over the three main segments as they would not flex inwards due to the green clip fingers holding them spread. Otherwise, it is obvious that the green clip is designed to be pushed out when the locking collar is pushed forward. You can keep the green clip to insert it back in case you later need to disconnect the Norma for some reason.
That's maybe the most plausible theory suggested here so far, but the old hose I removed had the green clip in place, which I had to remove to take off the norma connector. Unfortunately I don't remember how that green clip was positioned and my old hose that I dug out the trash the connector is broken.
Others have suggested that because the connector is difficult to unlock that the green clip is to prevent you accidentally locking it before you install it, but I can easily unlock the sleeve on this and pull off the hose with very little effort.

I getting ready to give up on this thing, either buy another hose altogether and just toss out this one, but these hose's aren't cheap and I'd hate to spend the money just to run into the same issue with another hose. My other thought was to simply cut off the norma connector and use a good old fashioned hose clamp. Honestly, I'm failing to see an reason why this thing was over engineered like this.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,009 Likes on 613 Posts

Honestly, I'm failing to see an reason why this thing was over engineered like this.
Couldn't agree more, this is over-engineering at its worst, or is it at its best, there is no reason for such a thing to be so complicated, convoluted and confusing. It is a simple hose connection and doesn't, and shouldn't, be so obscure.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 PM

Well I've gone an ordered a 2nd hose from a different vendor, hopefully this one will work out better and will clip on in a way that I feel confident its secure. If not I'm just hacking off that stupid norma connector and using a hose clamp like it should have been designed in the first place.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:37 AM
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi Curtiss I did mine on the N/A 3.2 took the best part of 4 hrs, the hose had a small split in the T junction smack bang in the middle top of bell housing
plastic quick release tool from the local auto shop work fine ,I removed the pipe one end connects to a solid pipe on the side of the head RHS and RHD car the hose connection that goes under the radiator fill tank you need to remove that tank to get to the clamps. it takes patience be prepared to get some cuts and blood loss in getting it to sit right. remove the air intake to the MAF as well and the corrugated hoses that I think are breather's on the head covers. it is easier to cut the old pipe of then remove the quick fits.
good luck.

Last edited by Dutchy; 04-17-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 04-17-2019, 07:38 AM

OUScooby now you know why they say Bloody Norma LOL

Last edited by Dutchy; 04-17-2019 at 07:44 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 04-17-2019, 07:40 AM

I still don't understand why these cars have a heater pump
most cars use water pump circulation
unless it was for her majesty when the car was idling waiting for her to arrive?

Old 04-17-2019, 07:43 AM

To OUScooby After I replaced my hose the Jag Repairer told me the green clip must be in or the hose may come off
well I couldn't get it in so left it out, went a long trip hot weather and hey presto no problem
the good old days when it was running

Last edited by Dutchy; 04-17-2019 at 08:04 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 04-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dutchy
To OUScooby After I replaced my hose the Jag Repairer told me the green clip must be in or the hose may come off
well I couldn't get it in so left it out, went a long trip hot weather and hey presto no problem
the good old days when it was running
I would love to know where they think that stupid green clip is supposed to go.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:17 AM

next time I drive past the jag repairer I'll check it out and let you know
as I think it may be disrupting your sleep

Old 04-19-2019, 07:22 PM

So can across this video, it's a different hose and off a Vauxhall Astra but the norma connector looks very similar to the one on our five way hose. If you skip head to the 2:20 mark in the video you can see it being install and the locking ring slides over the green clip. I still can't figure out how my hose is supposed to do that but my @nd replacement one has arrived and I'm about to attempt to install it...

Old 04-19-2019, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

That's interesting. I have the green ring on my desk and the hose in locked in place.

Quick Reply: Octopus coolant hose