XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Octopus hose connector?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 08:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Octopus hose connector?

I'm replacing the octopus hose on my car, everything is apart and the new hose in place, but I can't seem to figure out these Norma connectors. I could not get the hose over the pipe until I removed the green clip, now I can slide it up the the lip but not over it. Is it supposed to go over the lip or just up to it? Do I just put the clip back on to lock it in place. I don't want to have to do this all over again if I get it wrong, way to much stuff to take off to get to this!

Old 11-30-2018, 04:53 PM

So I put back the green clip and managed to get the hose over the lip. The black ring piece of the connector slip forward and it seemed to lock in place but the green clip thing came out again. It seems well connected, I can't pull it off, Do I need that green clip thing in there?

Old 11-30-2018, 07:17 PM
Ltd
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

The green clip stays in place.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ltd
The green clip stays in place.
well crap, not sure how i get it off now and get the clip back in!

Old 12-09-2018, 04:47 PM

OK I've tried dozens of times now to fit this hose with the green clip in place. Now mater what I do every time I pull the locking ring forward the clip falls out. What am I missing here????

Old 12-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Norma hose fitting

Originally Posted by OUScooby
OK I've tried dozens of times now to fit this hose with the green clip in place. Now mater what I do every time I pull the locking ring forward the clip falls out. What am I missing here????
Scoobie,
Did you clean the metal connector as it gets corroded and the O ring inside the Norma may not seal. Once you clean the metal connector, put some Vaseline on the cleaned pipe and it should push on easily with some rocking motion to see it moves the tabs over the locking ridge. If you notice the large ring in the Norma is like 1/8 turn for lock and unlock.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-19-2019)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by StagByTriumph
Scoobie,
Did you clean the metal connector as it gets corroded and the O ring inside the Norma may not seal. Once you clean the metal connector, put some Vaseline on the cleaned pipe and it should push on easily with some rocking motion to see it moves the tabs over the locking ridge. If you notice the large ring in the Norma is like 1/8 turn for lock and unlock.
Wait, there is turning involved? I though the ring just pulled forward I didn't realize you needed to turn it to lock it. Is it the turning that keeps the green clip in place too?

Old 12-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Default Norma hose fitting

Scoobie,
Did you clean the metal pipe connector as it gets corroded and the O ring inside the Norma may not seal. Double check the O ring inside the Norma connector for damage and the metal pipe for any burrs. Once you clean the metal connector pipe - I use a green ScotchBrite pad with water - and the pipe edge is smooth, put some petroleum jelly on the cleaned pipe and the Norma connector should push on easily with some rocking motion to see it moves the tabs over the locking ridge, with a snap. Rotate while pushing.

Don B (03-19-2019)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:40 PM

Scoobie,
Did you clean the metal pipe connector as it gets corroded and the O ring inside the Norma may not seal. Double check the O ring inside the Norma connector for damage and the metal pipe for any burrs. Once you clean the metal connector pipe - I use a green ScotchBrite pad with water - and the pipe edge is smooth, put some petroleum jelly on the cleaned pipe and the Norma connector should push on easily with some rocking motion to see it moves the tabs over the locking ridge, with a snap. Rotate while pushing.
I cleaned the pipe with a scour pad and brake cleaner, and finally did manage to get the connector over the ridge, but that stupid green clip wouldn't stay put, it either fell out when I pulled forward the locking ring or if it stayed on it would fall out with the slightest touch. I didn't realize I needed to turn the locking ring too. When I do this will that lock in the green clip?

Old 12-09-2018, 08:24 PM
Default Norma Octopus engine side connector

I cleaned the pipe with a scour pad and brake cleaner, and finally did manage to get the connector over the ridge, but that stupid green clip wouldn't stay put, it either fell out when I pulled forward the locking ring or if it stayed on it would fall out with the slightest touch. I didn't realize I needed to turn the locking ring too. When I do this will that lock in the green clip?
There are several different style Norma connectors used on these hoses depending on the manufacturer. Some have an outer ring that turns 1/8 turn to lock the tabs, others the small inner ring has a tab to click over to hold the larger tabs in place.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:33 PM

There are several different style Norma connectors used on these hoses depending on the manufacturer. Some have an outer ring that turns 1/8 turn to lock the tabs, others the small inner ring has a tab to click over to hold the larger tabs in place.
It doesn't seem like this one turns, here are some new pics I took today. I completely removed the hose and tried to reinstall it, same thing, the sliding locking ring just pushes away the green clip. I'm beginning to get really fed up with this thing!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 818 Posts

Not to create confusion but, in my experience of installing dozens of these hoses, the green clip that comes with the new hose simply keeps the retainer ring in the UNLOCKED position until the hose is installed on the engine. Once installed, remove the green clip, pull the retainer towards the front of the engine and throw away the green clip. My wife’s low mileage 2000 XJ8 has all the original coolant hoses and there’s no green clip in place. My own 252K mile 1998 XJR that I installed the octopus hose on about 5 years ago has no green clip and has had no problems pertaining to a coolant leak.

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 03-19-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Not to create confusion but, in my experience of installing dozens of these hoses, the green clip that comes with the new hose simply keeps the retainer ring in the UNLOCKED position until the hose is installed on the engine. Once installed, remove the green clip, pull the retainer towards the front of the engine and throw away the green clip. My wife’s low mileage 2000 XJ8 has all the original coolant hoses and there’s no green clip in place. My own 252K mile 1998 XJR that I installed the octopus hose on about 5 years ago has no green clip and has had no problems pertaining to a coolant leak.
It does feel securely on there without it but the old hose I took off had the green clip on there and I've seem it in pictures on threads about changing this part. Since this part is so inaccessible once I put everything back together I want to get this figured out for sure now.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 884 Likes on 619 Posts

It doesn't seem like this one turns, here are some new pics I took today. I completely removed the hose and tried to reinstall it, same thing, the sliding locking ring just pushes away the green clip. I'm beginning to get really fed up with this thing!
The green clips are there just as an indicator to show you when you have gone over the ridge while pushing the connector over the metal pipe. They may also prevent the locking ring from being pushed forward if the connector is not fully seated in, over the ridge. So, the green clips are designed to be pushed out by the locking ring and may then be discarded.

Don B (03-19-2019)
Old 11-07-2020, 07:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

For anyone attempting this repair, please be advised that the pipe that connects the NORMA fitting, on the right side of the octopus hose, to the heater hose that travels under the intake manifold (on right side)
and connects to backside of the outlet pip, is still available from Jaguar. HOWEVER, the supplier Jaguar is currently using for this pipe DOES NOT incorporate the ring or "ridge" that the original pipe had.
In other words, there is nothing for the NORMA fitting to lock on to. Jaguar recommends using a "jubilee" or worm drive clamp. Don't be surprised if your new $80 pipe is missing this critical feature.