XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Odd no-start situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019 | 08:03 PM
|
Question Odd no-start situation

Today my XJ refused the office, as it were... It turns over and eventually seems to wantto start, but will not catch. Then, after 20 seconds or so of cranking when I let go of the key the starter kept running. Even when I took the key out it kept going for 20-30 seconds while I walked to the garage and got a ball-peen hammer to give the starter a whack. As soon as I got back to the car it stopped, so no whack needed.
Here's a brief history of what parts are new: AGM battery, OEM starter, OEM alternator, all new coil packs, plugs, clean throttle body, OEM fuel pump, fuel filter, the obvious timing chains/tensioners, and a whole lot more stuff I cannot think of at the moment...
The car has run flawlessly for 13,000 miles since all the major work was done in September 2018. I started it with no issues twice yesterday, to move it around the driveway when I washed it. I could smell gas today when I was cranking it (before the starter stuck), so I know it's getting gas. I also am pretty certain it has spark because it tried to stumble to life.
What has me confused is 1) it has run perfectly until today -- no warning signs, nothing; and 2) the sticky starter. I'm wondering if the starter was just getting hot and got stuck, but I removed the key and walked away and it kept cranking...
Thoughts?
Thanks
-Steve-

Old 12-23-2019 | 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe it's an issue with the main starter relay (the beefy one attached to the starter)? You could try replacing or jumping the starter signal relay (the one in the false bulkhead where the ECM/etc are, don't remember which one) and seeing if symptoms change. If you jump the starter signal relay and it does the same sticking thing after you remove the jump, you know it's an issue in the starter

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2019 | 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a broken starter solenoid. Take it to your neighborhood alternator/starter repair service -- every city has them. And let him fix it.

Don B (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019 | 02:17 PM

Hi Steve,

You can try swapping the starter relay with a non-essential relay of the same type and if the problem persists it's probably the solenoid. Here are the relay locations from the Electrical Guide:

Cheers,

Don

Old 12-25-2019 | 02:45 PM
|

I will try the relay swap and see what happens. Currently out of town til the 31st, so it's going to sit until then.
Meanwhile, sudden starter issue aside the car still only cranks over and will not fire. I replaced the 10A ignition fuse -- it looked OK but a little smoked -- but still no start.
I'm pretty much stumped at this point regarding that part of it....
Thanks
-Steve-

Old 12-25-2019 | 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

I suspect you may have a case of bore wash after all the cranking and no start.

Don B (12-26-2019)
Old 12-25-2019 | 08:49 PM
Default Starter click and at the same time there is a odd sound under the hood

Originally Posted by SteveXJ8L
Today my XJ refused the office, as it were... It turns over and eventually seems to wantto start, but will not catch. Then, after 20 seconds or so of cranking when I let go of the key the starter kept running. Even when I took the key out it kept going for 20-30 seconds while I walked to the garage and got a ball-peen hammer to give the starter a whack. As soon as I got back to the car it stopped, so no whack needed.
Here's a brief history of what parts are new: AGM battery, OEM starter, OEM alternator, all new coil packs, plugs, clean throttle body, OEM fuel pump, fuel filter, the obvious timing chains/tensioners, and a whole lot more stuff I cannot think of at the moment...
The car has run flawlessly for 13,000 miles since all the major work was done in September 2018. I started it with no issues twice yesterday, to move it around the driveway when I washed it. I could smell gas today when I was cranking it (before the starter stuck), so I know it's getting gas. I also am pretty certain it has spark because it tried to stumble to life.
What has me confused is 1) it has run perfectly until today -- no warning signs, nothing; and 2) the sticky starter. I'm wondering if the starter was just getting hot and got stuck, but I removed the key and walked away and it kept cranking...
Thoughts?
Thanks
-Steve-
i have a 98 Jaguar xj8 that click one time. Low voltage on the black wire going to the solenoid on the starter. New starter, new battery, new flywheel?????? What's going on

Old 01-01-2020 | 03:05 PM
|

STILL having problems.... I took some time to look at it today with no results.
Based on advice and some research, the idea of bore wash seemed plausible if not outright THE problem with my no-start. Also, pondering the issue with the starter not disengaging/shutting off, I thought maybe the relay somehow shorted out or melted. So chasing those 2 things, I replaced the starter relay with the A/C relay next to it. Oddly, the starter did nothing at all -- no click, nothing. So I put the A/C relay back where it was and replaced the starter relay with a brand new one (sealed package) I had on the shelf. At that point I cranked it over and the starter worked fine. Cranked the engine, stopped when I let go of the key. OK, good. On to the next thing...
Next I pulled all the coils & plugs, squirted a little oil (tablespoon or so) down the bores, and put the whole thing back together again. With the fuel pump relay removed, I got in and cranked it for 5 seconds to build compression. At this point the starter would not shut off. I put the fuel pump relay back with it still cranking, jumped back in the car, turned the key to "start," and it stumbled and almost started. But the starter still runs on without the key....
I tried it a few more times, just turning it over with everything plugged in like normal, but still no start.
So I'm still at Square 1..... No start and the starter remains running without the key in the ignition.
I need help here...... I might consider having it towed to a shop, but that would put me $100 behind before anyone even looks at it. Besides, I don't know of anybody near me who works on Jags so I'd be paying hourly for somebody to try and guess his way through it.

HELP!!

Thanks
-Steve-

Old 01-01-2020 | 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

But the starter still runs on without the key....
First, you need to find out why the starter motor (starter solenoid) is "sticking". Find the in-line connector shown on the pic (circled yellow) below (this is the wire to the starter solenoid) and unplug it. Verify that, when you turn the key to "start", nothing happens i.e. no starter motor engagement/run. Then, with the key out, connect a length of wire to the half of the disconnected connector that is on the wire running towards the front of the engine. Touch +12V (the terminal circled blue) with the other end of the connected wire and see if the starter motor runs and if it stops running as soon as you remove the wire from the terminal. You can do this a few times. If the starter motor runs and stops correctly, the problem is not in the starter motor but elsewhere. I will look at the wiring diagram and try to establish what other thing, upstream of the starter solenoid wire, could be causing the starter motor solenoid sticking and post later.

The following 2 users liked this post by M. Stojanovic:
Don B (01-01-2020), motorcarman (01-01-2020)
Old 01-02-2020 | 08:45 AM
|

I will try that when I get home tonight. In your picture I do not see the 12+ terminal circled in blue you refer to though...
Thanks
-Steve-

Old 01-02-2020 | 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

I will try that when I get home tonight. In your picture I do not see the 12+ terminal circled in blue you refer to though...
I have added two more red circles around the blue one.

Old 01-02-2020 | 11:06 AM
|

I see it now. I'll try that this evening.
Thanks
-Steve-

Old 01-02-2020 | 04:19 PM
|

OK, I located the wire you refer to (gray plug on my car) and tested per your instruction. Prior to that, I got in the car and tried to start with that plug unplugged -- nothing. With key out, I touched wire to the one side of the plug and to the 12v tap. Starter immediately engages, and continues to run for 8-10 seconds after removing the wire from the 12v source. This was after only the most momentary of contact with the 12v.
Thoughts?
Thanks
-Steve-

Old 01-02-2020 | 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like you have a bad starter motor, i.e. bad starter solenoid or, perhaps, there is an additional starter relay installed by the PO. Before you remove the starter, try to see whether the thinner wire connected to the starter motor is the same colour as the wire at the unplugged connector (should be white/red). The said thinner wire is connected to the starter terminal as shown on the pics:

If you cannot see the wire colour, and if you cannot establish whether there is an additional starter relay somewhere in the engine compartment, since it is rather difficult to remove the starter motor, you can first try to disconnect the existing wire from the terminal shown above, connect a longer wire to it and test the starter again by touching the +12V terminal. If the starter motor still "sticks", you will have to take it out and see if you can fix it. Remove the cover (shown on the pic below) and see the condition inside. This is the starter solenoid which might be jamming in the "on" position. It might be repairable, otherwise you will need to replace the whole starter motor assembly.

Don B (01-03-2020)
Old 01-02-2020 | 08:52 PM
|

Yes, I suppose next step will be the starter... NOT looking forward to that. The good news is, I replaced it September 2018 with a remanufactured unit from Advance Auto which carries a lifetime warranty. Of course, as we all know, the starter is virtually impossible to remove. I'll fool with it Saturday morning. Any better way to remove it without dropping the rack? When I replaced it, I had the passenger-side head off and access was good. Not doing that this time...
Then after I get that squared away, I can continue trying to figure out why it won't start which is what got me here in the first place.....
Thanks
-Steve-