XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Odd problem with 1999 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd problem with 1999 XJ8

I'm looking to buy a 1999 XJ8, the guy I'm buying from says I can't open the door while the engine is on because it "messes up the computer". Is this normal? Also, when I had the mechanics check it out they said the engine stalled twice, but I started it eight different times and it didn't stall once, we also started it after they checked it and it didn't stall. I'm thinking perhaps they tried starting it with the door open? Could this stalling issue be what the seller says "messes up" with the computer when the door is open? Help is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

I can't open the door while the engine is on because it "messes up the computer"
Rubbish!! I open the doors with the engine running everytime I use mine.(back out of the garage and let the woman get in) The doors lock when moved out of "park"

The following users liked this post:
Rainere (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 AM

Rubbish!! I open the doors with the engine running everytime I use mine.(back out of the garage and let the woman get in) The doors lock when moved out of "park"

Thank you, yes I've never seen that "issue" with any car before. I appreciate the input.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Maybe look for another XJ without the 'special feature' .

Old 01-03-2013, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Maybe Steveinfrance could be right. But on the other hand if the computer is messed up because some fool opened the door (btw I open the door start the car close the door with the motor running to let it warm up and then open the door to get in) the display readout would be showing a fault (fault code) A car usually stalls when putting into gear and about to drive off.Or is this just turning itself off at idle?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

There's no way opening the door can upset the ECM unless it was pre-owned by Barnum and Bailey in which case I'd expect all the doors to fly off accompanied by a loud whistle.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM

The mechanics didn't specify when it stalled, only that it did twice. When I asked the guy giving me the report he said he didn't know because he wasn't the one working on it. They ran a full diagnostic and didn't find anything wrong or a reason for it to stall so I really have no idea what they're talking about it. As for the door issue, thanks. I figured it wasn't something standard in any car. I'll be looking for another XJ8 like steveinfrance recommended.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Unless you are an electrical engineer (like me) who COMPLETELY understands the complete electronics system of the Jag (NOT me), just run away. You're asking for trouble here.

I'd take it on (if it was a jewel for an incredible deal) with the hope that I could eventually isolate the issue and fix it... but without an electronics understanding (I'm assuming you don't have one) it's near impossible.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 01-04-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

The engine in mine runs fine with any, all or none of the doors open!

A 1999 XJ8 can throw up enough mechanical problems (Nikasil, Secondary Tensioners & Gearbox 'A' Drum) to empty your bank account without having a weird & comical 'clown car' electrical fault to sort out as well

Unless you have the full set of circuit diagrams, the knowledge to interpret them, suitable test equipment & plenty of free time on your hands, then I'd walk away quickly & look for another car...

Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

listen to the last two posts, for real. The Jag is nice car but it is also it's own animal.

From what it seems, when a person know how, the diagrams and tools, and or someone who can rebuild this car from a pile of metal and bolts, then trouble may be found. The most expensive of course can be that A-drum, but ironically it applies to BMWs 5 and 3 series of those years, v-8 7series, Audi A8s, and volkswagens of any with the two with V-8 and 6 cylinder engines at least.

But usually the other problems are reletively minor but can be a PITA to track down and can end up between drivable and stuck on side of the road and throwing a bunch of parts at it until the wallet is empty if not knowing where to start.

The best thing to do is always start with one with out any problems as even a problem decribed as "simple" by the seller can be and usually be a thousands to fix in the end. If it was that "simple" they would have gotten it fixed before selling.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't believe it for a minute. Opening the door while running, will "mess up the computer"? The guy is full of crap (and dumb on the top of that!). I would check all the "usual suspects" (Nicasil blow back, tensioners, coolant leak, tranny, codes, rust, paint, brakes...) and make the guy an offer, using his "computer will get messed up" against him. Don't know what the asking price is, how many miles on the car, condition of the interior, etc but I would offer about 25% less than his asking price (in cash, on the spot, with a wad of Benjamins in my hand!). Cash talks. I purchased mine for 5K, asking price was 6500. I offered 5, pulled the money out of the pocket, and the guy got offended, and said "no way". I said "thank you for your time", and jumped in my car, threw it in reverse, and he started waving me down. One look at the wad, and most of them go for it.

I'm not scared of the Jags from 98-02. Sure they had issues,....but if one knows what they are, and addresses them in due time, there are some nice and CHEAP Cats out there.