XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Oil in air intake hose???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Oil in air intake hose???

Ok, I just checked my air filter and there is oil inside the ceaner box and inthake hose, can somebody help me pease?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

This is not uncommon with this year car. Without checking the serial number of the engine I would make a guess that your engine is a Nikasil block and the oil you are seeing is blowby. This is not necessarily a problem! I will attach a few links that might help in better understanding Nikasil.
http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairNikasil.htm
http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairNikasilSulfur.htm
http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairNoStart.htm
Do not be frightened by this the more you know the better off you will be. In addition to this I would add that a can of “Restore” from any auto parts store will help when added to the oil. You shouls also check the breather stub on the other side to see if it is clear and not clogged. http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairPlugReplacement.htm I hope this helps!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah as mentioned above very common with this engine check the part load breather on the driver side for obstruction use a small drill bit to clear the orifice. If you end up getting a lot of blow back resulting in start up smoking clean the throttle body and check other post for bypass options. I currently have my venting out the bottom of engine bay via radiator hose until can construct a filtered bypass return box that i will place in front of air intake.

The following users liked this post:
JLperdue (03-15-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Just remember that you have a metal plate just beneath the hole opening that is not to be drilled into. If you use the drill bit use it with hand applied pressure and not with a drill.

JLperdue (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 11:22 PM

Thanks guys, I will follow your advice and clean where is needed, I probably will not get around to it until this w/e but till then I'll drive my other baby.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:15 AM

Ok, so I am really just getting a chance to fully read all of the info provided by Gus (thx again). My understanding is that the blow by is caused by the failing of the block linning? I did check the breather stub on LH side it has oil in it and of course the pipe on RH side had oil in it. where do I go from here?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

How many miles on the car and what type of oil are you using (5w-30w or 10w-30w) and do you add oil between oil changes? You need not panic it is a matter of understanding the situation and doing the right thing. I had a person that I respect on this forum suggest adding “Restore” to the engine. I can tell you that I was not in favor of using oil additives but I had a 96 rav4 with 266,000mi on it and it was burning about 1 qt of oil between oil changes (every 6,000mi) so I added “Restore” and the usage went down but what surprised me was that it seemed a little peppier. I also recommended it to other Nikasil owners and they were pleased with the results. One person used it in his boat motor.

Brutal (04-07-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

Pretty common and no need to worry.
Just wipe it clean from time to time.
Checking/cleaning the part breather hose is a good idea though.
And Nikasil is probably not your problem.
My 99 XJ8 has a little oil there as well and the German fuel is way better than what you guys have to use.
95 octane minimum, nearly zero sulfur...
So we get no nikasil problems over here still some oil in my air intake hose...

HTH,

David

Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DavidN
Pretty common and no need to worry.
Just wipe it clean from time to time.
Checking/cleaning the part breather hose is a good idea though.
And Nikasil is probably not your problem.
My 99 XJ8 has a little oil there as well and the German fuel is way better than what you guys have to use.
95 octane minimum, nearly zero sulfur...
So we get no nikasil problems over here still some oil in my air intake hose...

HTH,

David
This link will address your comments and address the Sulfur & Nikasil questions you may have.
Nikasil

Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks Gus!

I'm well aware of the sulfur/nikasil problems you guys have.
The early 8 Cylinder 7-Series BMWs had the same problem.
And a good while back I planned to take my old BMW to the US with me. So I did a fair amount of research on this topic.
(Unfortunately our plans to move to the US where destroyed on 9/11 by some f***g moroons on their mission to change the world.)

David

Old 04-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
In addition to this I would add that a can of “Restore” from any auto parts store will help when added to the oil.
I have 99 with a Nikasil engine that has a fair amount of blow by (tested). My experience with engine restorer is that it most definitely makes a difference in terms of extra power and oil in the air box but on my particular XJ8, if I add too much it, the computer will start flagging VVT cam codes turning my check engine light on. The VVT doesn't seem to like too much of this stuff - for some reason.

After much experimentation, I use a heavier oil (15W-30) with half a can of the 8 cylinder engine restorer. This seems to give me the best results... with no codes.... your mileage may vary...

Old 04-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 90 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmexico
I have 99 with a Nikasil engine that has a fair amount of blow by (tested).......

After much experimentation, I use a heavier oil (15W-30) with half a can of the 8 cylinder engine restorer. This seems to give me the best results... with no codes.... your mileage may vary...
Same here...
I'm currently running 5w30, but I'm thinking of moving up to 10w30, and will definitely try the Engine Restore additive. I've been cleaning the excess oil in the air intake hose on monthly basis, since the oil actually got all the way to my air filer and soaked a good part of it. Checked and cleaned the breather stub, but still have the leak.
Thanks for good info...

Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I agree with the oil viscosity change of the oil first if that fails then add the Restor but only once every other oil change and see how you make out and remember that the VVT could have a problem. Is this best fix NO but if I knew this info when I had Nikasil I would be doing it myself and saved a lot of money. A Nikasil block is a great engine and if maintained properly it will serve you well.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

If what the "restore" additive does is to thicken the oil film on the cylinder walls, then perhaps the same effect can be had with a 20W50 oil.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am not an expert but in a few cases higher viscosity oil does help but not all the time. This link might help understand the product saying it thickens the oil does not give it justice.. Restore USA - Engine Restorer

Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Now that I am thinking about my Nikasil engine, I am curious about something....

For you guys with Nikasil engines..... If you are at a standing stop on flat ground with "sport" mode on and slam the accelerator to the floor - can you break the tires loose? I know there are myrid of other variables like tires etc... just trying to get a sense of the power I don't have.

I got my XJ8 with about 90,000 miles on it so most of the nikasil damage was done....

Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

if you think youll fix an iisue with nikasil by switching to a thicker oil you can end up with vvts issues, not just the ENGINE RESTORE. the VVTS use small oil passages for operation and a thicker oil gives sluggish to non responsive vvt operation because jaguar spec'd 5-30w not 20-50w, same on the earlier engines specd for 20-50w like mine. use 5-30 and you end up with really noisy tensioners. Engine restore "restores" compression by filling in scratches and wear problems and greatly improves rinng sealing which is the cause of blow by(poor piston ring seal). this meens better gas meilage and performance bcause more power it put to use on the piston tops to push the pistons down I believe in the product from my own before n after tests on compression readings on engines with varied and low compression. If you read the bottle it is recommended to use each oil change as it NOT a 1 time use and fix for good product. But its by far a cheaper solution that a new engine now isnt it
I do recommend and have good success switching to thinker oils when there are VVT issue. but not when your dealing without VVT problems and blowby. Works well too when you have low oil pressures at idle and warning lights that are not due to a switch but to engine wear and opened bearing clearances. the rule of thumb on oil pressure is 10psi for every 1000rpm, most manufactures have moved rto much thinner oils and lower tension rings to increase performance and mpg since thicker oil takes power to push through and engine. Porsche uses 0-20w and Jags new 5.0 uses 5-20w, thicker oil also is much harder for the oil rings to control and leads to increased emmissions

fredd60 (08-23-2013)
Old 04-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 90 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmmm... Good info....
Maybe at first, I'll stick with 5w30 and just add a can of Restore and see if that helps with the blow by.... I had secondary tensioners replaced in Nov 2010, so that's in good standing.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 PM

I currently have 163K and am using 5w-30, I did add 1/2 quart of oil and that was about it.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 1999 xj8 and have the exact same problem. Load of oil coming through the pipe into the air box. I have been told there's a compression problem. How can I bypass the oil and make it go elsewhere? And to confirm, if I pour a can of restore in the oil, that may help with the oil blowing back?

Quick Reply: Oil in air intake hose???