Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change

What oil filter should I use on 2000 jaguar xj8

Old 01-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

When it comes to oil filters I use only OEM. Here is the listing from Jagbits for the 2000MY OIL FILTER
Part #: EAZ1354-X

They are about $17.00 bucks

Old 01-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Or use any good quality oil filter, part # as recommended by the manufacturer. There is no magic in the Jaguar part number, although you can assume it is of good quality.

The following 2 users liked this post by sparkenzap:
Jhartz (01-25-2016), XJRay (01-29-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Or use any good quality oil filter, part # as recommended by the manufacturer.
There is no magic in the Jaguar part number, although you can assume it is of good quality.
Can you suggest a oil filter brand for my 2000 jaguar xj8 "Olivia".

Old 01-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

You know, like a lot of subjects, some folks are passionate about what brand of filter you should use. Since few, if any, folks on here have any way to test a filter for flow and filtering efficiency, we are all depending on third party information to make a decision. The most laughable of which is of the variety of "Well my wife's cousin Goober, who has worked at the Jiffy lube for 5 years blah blah blah".

And comparisons of one filter vs. the next one are only valid for a specific part number. So I suggest you read the reviews on some web sites like:
bobistheoilguy.com
and make your own decision while factoring in price. I, for one, would not go with the house brand usually made in Chine and not necessarily subjected to the same quality control as the majors. As I said, there are plenty of other opinions, but ask to see the hard data and I am pretty sure you will realize the difference between opinions and fact.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 01-25-2016 at 04:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XJRay (01-29-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I really like Purolator Pro filters, they're around $18.00 at Advance Auto, you can't go wrong here really, the one bit of advise that most people here will agree with is STAY AWAY FROM FRAM!

Old 02-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
the one bit of advise that most people here will agree with is STAY AWAY FROM FRAM!
Unless you really dig into the so-called 'research' and discover that most of it was meaningless and irrelevant.

There's no evidence that Fram filters do not do an acceptable job.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

My point would be : why pay good money for a poorly-made product, when you can pay the same amount for a well made one?

I always buy Wix filters, as they are consistently well made, and well-priced.

I've personal experience of problems caused by Fram filters. The anti-drain valve on the one for my marine diesel is so poorly-made that the oil in it drains overnight, and the engine takes a few seconds to build up oil pressure in the morning. That is something that, long-term, could result in damage.

The fuel filter for the marine diesel is made from cardboard by Fram, and metal by Wix.

BTW, The Wix part number for the XJ8 is 51228.

They have it at Amazon for $14, and at O Reilly for $15. They have Fram on display, but you have to ask at the parts counter for a Wix.

The Napa Gold filters are made by Wix, just painted a different colour, and with an extra $5 slapped on top.

Last edited by Mark SF; 02-01-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The OE Jaguar filters are not very expensive. With the long change intervals you want a filter that will hold up and have an accurate bypass -- it's not worth the trouble. I order a filter when I get other parts -- so I always have one and i don't get hit with tax or extra shipping.

The Jaguar filter is made in the UK -- it's heavy when you compare it to others. I get the Mahn filters through Autohaus for my other cars. Mahn does make one for the Jaguar .. about $12.00.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:24 AM
Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

Motorcraft FL2021

Old 02-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

I highly recommend Mobil 1 filter, and also Shell's (sold under the Pennzoil name) Ultra Platinum oil.

Amazon.com: Mobil 1 M1-213 Extended Performance Oil Filter (Pack of 2): Automotive Amazon.com: Mobil 1 M1-213 Extended Performance Oil Filter (Pack of 2): Automotive

Last edited by Box; 02-04-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:52 AM
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I to use WIX. With that being said I must take exception to the bashing of Fram filters. I've used fram filters for nearly 30 years. The lowest miles on these cars that I've gotten is 283,000 miles. Never any issues with the engine on any of these 4 cars/trucks. Trans issues but never oil or overheating issues. Not sure what the issues are with everyone's problems with Fram filters. Surely it's just not because I'm lucky. Would I use fram on my Jag? Yep. I will at some point but I have a Purple brand I will try next. Just my opinion on my experience with fram. No bashing required.
PS I got the Wix and purple for free....

Old 02-13-2016, 07:23 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Some 'expert' wrote an article years ago that was based on some pretty lame research. Everybody loves to hate the big guy, so the bashing continues..........

Old 02-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Received 153 Likes on 114 Posts

Fram was owned by Honeywell for many decades until being sold to Rank Group. Unfortunately, the new ownership embarked on a vigorous "decontenting" (cheapening) of the product. This mainly affects the cheapest and most high volume line of Fram filters (Extra Guard). The top-of-the-line (Extended Guard) is still a good product. Also, Fram air filters and fuel filters appear to be unaffected by this decontenting and are still good products.

Last edited by Samilcar; 02-13-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

I'll admit to getting caught up in the Fram scare of 12-15 years ago.....even though I had used Fram for umpteen years with nary a problem. Silly me. What a dumb-***.

For a long time I used Jaguar EBC9658 filters. I also used Jaguar-labeled belts, hoses, etc. I got a kick of of doing so; thought it was sorta neat having everything "Jaguar". If I could've bought Jaguar labeled tires I probably would have. I also used Castrol oil exclusively.....just because "Castrol" and "Jaguar" just seem to go together like a hand in a glove. If you have a Jag, you use Castrol. That's just what you do, right?

That phase having passed I've returned to any name brand oil and any name brand filter....and hoses, belts, etc.

I did however, purchase a supply of Baldwin oil filters. They're 'supposed' to be really good....and holding one in my hand I have a sensation of heft and quality. There's a lot of "feel good" factor in that!

Cheers

DD

Old 02-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Just because something has had the manufacturing process changed to make it cheaper does not in any way make it's characteristics worse. Generally, when a product design and manufacturing process get revised these day, automation is involved and the product gets cheaper to build and has better quality characteristics because workers are not involved. You think it is risky to take your car to the local oil change monkeys? In my experience, they beat many production line workers by far!

And which of us can tell ANYTHING about the filter we just put on the car, except its color?

Why not Fram? I have a good answer! We own Jaguars, proving we follow the beat of a different drummer and don't like the mainstream name brands. So, we don't like the big guy's filter either!

Old 02-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

The nick against Fram was real ... they did change the internals ... although that has to be close to 20 years ago.

I maintain at least 15 cars at any given time .. and have for over 25 years. My own and the cars for my company I own. Aftermarket parts are all over the map in quality. Price is not an indicator of quality. Brand name is not a guarantee of consistent quality.

We have a few Toyota/Lexus hybrids in the fleet -- they use a cartridge oil filter -- you can see the filter. In the past 4 years I have bought at least 40 oil filters for those vehicles -- they are all different. The cheap Pennzoil at $6 looks about the same as the the K&A at $15 (retail). I get the oil deals from Pep Boys/ Advanced -- so the filter is normally free. In those vehicles -- I don't see any reason for one over the other.

My company cars put on the miles quickly -- so the hit against the frame filters -- that they internals are cheap is less of a concern. The problem with many of the cheap filters is they degrade over time -- with the long change intervals and synthetic oil some cars may go two years without changes .. and the cheap paper parts glued together can fail.

I will note that the Fram extra guard filter is 1/2 the weight of the M1 filter for our Nissan V6's. I get the M1 for the extra $1 if I can.

Mann may make the Jaguar air filter since the OE is made in Germany -- if you get the Mann filter for the Jaguar -- it's not the same. The paper is the same and the gasket is the same .. but the OE filter has more pleats and the pleats are deeper. I find the same with my MB's and Porsches == the Mann filters have less capacity vs the OE -- but they are made by the same company. The Mann oil filters for the MB's are identical as the OE .. same with Porsche.

The Jaguar filter as I said above is made in the UK -- someone makes it ... but I know from experience that the cross reference in the UK results in a different filter.

My only concern with the cheaper filters used in the jaguar would be if they were installed for an extended period or if the bypass in the cheaper filters failed. That was the rub with the Fram ... the bypass was cheap and could easily fail resulting in no oil being filtered.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

This is the OE filter.

You can see it has a proper rubber bypass with a proper spring w/ support.

It's a hefty filter.

Attached Thumbnails Oil change-photo-1.jpg   Oil change-photo-2.jpg  
Old 02-14-2016, 11:40 PM
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I change my oil every 3000 miles. I don't use synthetic oil. Some may say it's overkill but like I said I've never gotten anything under 260000 on a car with NO engine problems. So 30 every couple months compared to what 3500-4000 for an engine. I like my odds.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Generally, when a product design and manufacturing process get revised these day, automation is involved and the product gets cheaper to build and has better quality characteristics because workers are not involved.
That is the likely motivation behind the myriad plastic coolant lines with quick connects. Robots
don't handle hose clamps well.

Great for Jaguar.

Not so great for robustness, or subsequent replacement after breakage.

A rubber line would not break just from looking at it, and could be
refreshed for a couple of dollars. Not so for the Jaguar special grade
plastic.

Quick Reply: Oil change