XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

!! Oil/Coolant Leak Front of Engine 98 XJ8 !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !! Oil/Coolant Leak Front of Engine 98 XJ8 !!

Hey all, been about 8 months to even post on here, my 1998 xj8 had finally been somewhat nice to me. Mine seems to hate winter hah, so of course I have a problem again. I was suprised I actually went over 10k miles without going in the shop (it was still leaking the coolant though could always smell it just not enough to drip until now again)

Anyways, there is apparent leakage from somewhere around the new metal thermostat housing (again had been replaced already with all aluminum hah), it spurts out a lil spray that you can barely see (again same problem last time), a lot of times coating the belt making it chirp (f*cking hate that btw only car ive ever had this happen).

This is no good. I started car this morning, and put a sheet of styrofoam under the front. I gave it a lil juice (bout 2k on the gauge) then check the front of the engine, and there is obvious leakage on the stryofoam sheet. Not a lot at all, but It looks like mixed oil and coolant, and that would be a very bad indication I believe. Not sure where on the engine it's coming out but it drops till it hits that lil pan at the bottom by the front bar at the bottom of the engine bay.

Now I had redone both sets timing chains/guides/blades before last year. I got all the parts/seals and did all 4 tensioners with the top (secondary) chains. After hearing chainslap still on startup my tech opened AGAIN to do the primary chains a week later, as I didnt think i'd need them. (That didnt help either it still rattles at startup and sometimes even knocks a bit when cold...what a crock) Now the new crank seal was only on the first time for 2 weeks, I was told it was not needed by numerous techs on here) Could this be my problem or where does the crank seal go?

It has been losing a bit of oil and coolant (they looked mixed to me unless its just dirt from the bottom pan there mixing with the coolant) every week or so but not even enough to fill a shot glass.

Take a gander, this is the sheet below, any suggestions? 1998 XJ8 95k

After only 1.5yrs of this ride I will admit it's been fun with the car (somewhat, when I could actually drive it) but eh, like most that have had an x308, i've had about enough haha just not worth it anymore with new rides dropping like hotcakes. Go figure.

Attached Thumbnails !! Oil/Coolant Leak Front of Engine 98 XJ8 !!-pa270001.jpg  

Last edited by atom069; 10-28-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 AM

Thanks dudes, unfortunately the site has went to 'utter rubbish mate!' as the brits would say. All the real techs stopped posting....guess its time to move on. Goodluck folks, but hopefully more people research these things (x308 98-03) before being impulsive. Most importantly I learned that when it comes to buying a foreign luxury car (I had a lincoln towncar that never needed matientence for over 120K! hah) you cannot skimp and go cheap like these models. You will find out. There is a reason they're so cheap now. Goodluck!

Last edited by atom069; 10-29-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 355 Posts

That is not a fair thing to say! Not evryone in Britain is from the East End of London you know, as I can tell you! Secondly the real Techs are probably busy at this time of year servicing customers cars ready for winter seasons, so that is probably the reason for your delay. As far as your Lincoln goes it may have large service gaps, but no amount of Cheap plastic, computer simulated wooden dash parts and sticky vynyl seats will ever compare to the real leather, real wood and hand finished construction of a Jaguar. Fact! As for going cheap it all depends on how good the mechanic is!

They are cheap because of a stereotype left over from the British Leyland era. Certain soft people seem to think modern Jaguars are still like the 70s ones and are full of Electrical problems from Lucas. But price doesn't matter, its knowing that even though the car is 9 years old it is still one of the most beautiful cars on the road today.

But you need to face facts, and as many of my British Forum Companions might agree with me, "You've bought a Pup!" Deal With It!

Old 11-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Thumbs up eh

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
That is not a fair thing to say! Not evryone in Britain is from the East End of London you know, as I can tell you!

But you need to face facts, and as many of my British Forum Companions might agree with me, "You've bought a Pup!" Deal With It!
Hah so anyone that says 'Rubbish' has to be from some special 'area' eh?

I highly disagree, I wasn't fishing for a response from my question. If I want a response I call the dealers in different states and see the BS they throw out. Truth is, 95% of autotechs i've met (persons in school and 'veteran' 20yr+) seem to that they know all there is to know about every vehicle out there. This is not the case.

I just stated the site went to rubbish hah. I wasn't upset in the least. It's true, i've been a member over 1.5yrs and well most folks with actual experience have stopped posting.

My 98 xj8 really hasnt had much installed besides the same problematic cooling system. broken up timing system (only cost me $750 total for everything im lucky), 3 water pumps (in 1yr mind you...a bit much haha.. 1 was aluminum btw). Truth is even MOORE JAGUAR/ASTON MARTIN in st. louis, MO said that they expect x308 XJ8 models every two years or so for waterpump failures hah...for a luxury car what the hell man...????

I'm sure a lot of folks on here would agree that Jaguar should have bit the bullet and reimbursed all those folks that bought these new in 1998=99 and blew their engines up before 50k miles from catastrophic timing tensioner/guide/blade/etc failure..not acceptable!

Also remember, the towncar was a full $25k less than the $65k Jaguar in 1998. To pay almost $70k for a car and have the engine blow up from timing failures at 30-40k miles, and to make the consumer pay $3500 to fix, hah! save it. BS!

BTW my signature series towncar was full leather not vinyl, which lasted a ton a longer as well. Yes it had zero service gaps for over 100k. Only thing that made me give it up was the tranny finally fell out after 220k miles. I got lucky I guess was a good ride. Also the x308 Jag wood is ford styled veneer wood plates thats all. Do your research chief! Very plastic like....looks neat, but not very impressive for originally $65k

That's priceless, despite what you may think. I like my x308 jag alright, but I could have bought a new car unfortunately. If anything look the 2005s with 50k are going for like $15k

"They are cheap because of a stereotype left over from the British Leyland era."

No.....they are cheap now because the whole timing systems were failing on brand new vehicles and Jaguar didn't help anyone.. late 90s models! Ford helped a lot it appears with the electrical problems, but it's still ford. Read the 14k pages of complaints from brand new owners from 98-2001 with a blown up engine at 3-4yrs old 40k miles. Read up before posting such rubbish!

Old 11-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Re. the leak. Check the coolant temperature sensor. I had a weep from mine until I sealed it with glycol resistant RTV.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Comparing a TOWNCAR to a JAG. PLEASE! Towncar is a jazzed up CROWNVIC!

Old 11-22-2009, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 355 Posts

What I meant was not everyone says "Mate" after everything! I agree with brgjag, any US car can't be compared to a Jaguar. Having been in a Towncar on a recent visit to AZ, I can safely say it is miles behind any European luxury car. After I got over the sea sickness induced by the wallowing suspension and had a proper look at the exterior I noticed it’s very confused. It’s trying to be a large luxury car, but just looks like a larger version of a Taxi.

Jaguars use only real wood, and as a fact they have first pick of the veneers before any other manufacturer. There is no plastic wood effect in any XJ that’s for sure, and I know this is a fact because a friend of the family works for Jaguar UK. My XJ is a
2001 and has only needed a thermostat and brakes. Another person I know has a 1998 XJ8 Executive and he has nearly 245000 miles on it, and he has never had any major problems just service parts. That is because he takes the precautions and has things done regularly, i.e. oil changes, transmission fluid changes etc.

I'm sorry if you took offence to my post, but what you were saying just appeared a bit rude to me. I do hope you have the problem with your engine sorted and you can continue to enjoy your Jaguar.