XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Oil filter, OE or ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Oil filter, OE or ?

2000 XJ8

Have always bought Jaguar brand oil filter EAZ1354. My Scottsdale AZ dealer charges full MSRP currently $18.50. Gaudin Jaguar online discounts to $13.88 but, $14.95 minimum S&H. I’ll probably just pay the local dealer MSRP. I was wondering if many Forum members use other brand filters? Maybe some are as good or even better quality vs. Jaguar OE?

Wix 51228 is available @ O’Reilly for $14.99 or I can buy on Amazon for $12.64.
I’ve been unable to find locally or online the Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter. I’ve read good things about this brand. I think they may not make one for my XJ8 but do make them for some other Jaguar models.

I’ve used Mobile 1 synthetic oil for many years & may “upgrade” (waste money?) on Mobile 1 Extended Performance oil. I checked Walmart online & for a 5 qt jug the regular Mobile 1 is 24.97 & the EP jug is only $26.97. So, ~ 40¢ more per Qt.

I always change the drain-plug AJ83017 which is now $9.65 locally, LOL. (I think that part s/b $3.00)

I change my air filter about every 15k miles (NJA3558AA) which currently is a whopping $57.00 locally. ($42.50 + $14.95 S&H Gaudin online) In the past I had tried a Mann brand online which looked virtually identical but, I think it causes a whistling noise at 75 MPH or higher. It must be a slightly different size.

So, generally I stick to OE but, curious as to what others do. I’d be tempted to get a different brand for the air filter but would need to be convinced it is exactly the right size to the mm & equal or better quality.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Mobile 1 is 24.97 & the EP jug is only $26.97. (although I have no idea what an EP jug is)
You American people get it sooo good! That oil in Australia is about $50-$60!!(5 Litres) But back to your topic: I use genuine filters. I found the right ones on eBay so I brought a few.They were about $25 each (oil)..comparable with any aftermarket car filter in these parts. Neil.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

For the most part I have stopped using aftermarket parts on most of my cars -- for me it is not worth the hassle. With many of the german brands ....Porsche in particular ... sourcing OE parts from one of the major importers can be worthwhile although the internet sales through a few authorized dealers has reduced the price difference.

With Jaguar, the number of people selling alternatives is so small that I never see a big difference. My local dealer gives me very competitive pricing and it is easy. I change the drain plug also -- I always do a new crush washer on those also .. My driveway is too nice to risk a drip! The air filter is a bit expensive although I have not needed to replace it very often.

I have been using M1 for years -- the cost difference over conventional is well worth the extended time interval for little used vehicles. I recently used the EP in one car as it was on sale at Autozone and actually less the the regular M1

Old 10-27-2012, 02:30 AM

Gippsland, I was trying to save typing. EP Jug = Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5 qt. container.

We may have lower prices on goods but you do have those flies down under, <GRIN>

Yeldogt, I’ve read on another forum some guys who claim they can “feel” the difference between the M1 reg vs M1 EP. Very hard to believe. I suspect marketing hype. The claim for the EP is longer interval between oil changes. Some people may thing they get better gas mileage or the car somehow drives better or the oil looks cleaner when they change it compared to regular M1.

Re the oil filter. I’ve seen YouTube videos showing cut up filters & how well built the Wix & the Mobile 1 filters are compared to cheap brands. Also a video explaining in detail what the specs mean.

This guy seems knowledgeable:

This one doesn’t seem to provide any useful info, just how they look inside:

It would be interesting to see the results of impartial testing of various aftermarket brands vs. OE brands. Or at least a comparison of specs with explanation of which ones have better specs and why.

The following users liked this post:
MCX (11-30-2023)
Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I fit OE - A call to the local dealer, nominate a registered auto service shop locally to drop it off and I collect it usually within a couple of hours.

I don't gamble on aftermarket stuff for these engines, plugs and filters t-stats fluids etc are all bought from the Dealer, I've dealt with the same guy for over 20 years, he knocks 25% off for consumables.

I give him the engine number and a lovely box full of white and green boxes of genuine parts arrive with an invoice to show whoever I'm doing the job for, genuine parts for the 308 are now in the classic range, so discounted.

I can sleep at night this way.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member

The Wix filters by all account are a quality product - And I have used the M1 filters on other cars.

The problem with aftermarket parts on lower production cars is they are often parts that will work vs parts that are the same as OE. If you normally drove a Ford Taurus or a Toyota Camry the previously 25 years and then purchased a used Jaguar -- you may not understand how small the aftermarket --- or the specialized parts involved in production.

I never use aftermarket thermostats.

MCX (12-01-2023)
Old 10-28-2012, 03:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've always used OE. That way I don't need to worry that it only looks right, I can be certain it is right.

Service interval is 10k/12 months on my current Jaguar. The cost of fuel over that period makes looking for a small saving on the Oil Filter insignificant in comparison.

Don't know whether this also applies in the US but in the EU, country of origin must be shown on the product. Jaguar Oil Filters used to be from Germany. The last two I've purchased were made in Poland.

There's a high probability 'Jaguar' Oil Filters are manufactured in one of the Wix factories to Jaguar standards.

Graham

Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Are you guys saying that none of the filters in the attached photo are good enough? These were found using my car (03 XJ8) as the vehicle...

Name:  ac25d3f8f6bdbdf8adb3a04bdbb99679.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  385.9 KB

Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Mike it's only opinions based on personal experience I'd use Fram in a second, but I get the OE filters from the local main agent without issue same day.

I think Graham hit the nail on the head, I've witnessed abused engines that have had junk oil/filter and no plugs, full o' gunk and varnish, (save a few pennies) the full dealer history maintained I always go back to and compare has 286,000 miles on it, mint inside still kicking ****. That's the only reason I use OE.

More important is to maintain these engines - by servicing at the correct intervals or better.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Two things with this discussion:

If you read reviews of oil filters you will see that the quality of the filter has almost nothing to do with the cost - do a search and you will see what I am talking about - Fram filters are always rated at the bottom but are perceived to be on top.

You can easily purchase a filter that will fit -- The body of the filter needs to fit in the space and the threads have to be the correct size. Having it fit in no way indicates that the filter will have the correct back flow or be designed to take into account the pressures on the engine or lifespan of the original.

Jaguar does not make the filter -- they have it made -- just like everyone else ... the issue is that it is very difficult to make sure you get the exact one from an aftermarket source.

Take a typical Porsche insert filter -- you can purchase this on the aftermarket for under $10.00 - same mann filter -- it is a very common filter -- Porsche wants over $30.00 for it ... so the demand is enough for european wholesalers to import and stock the filter.

With the OE filter being only about $20.00 on line the price difference for the OE filter does not allow much savings even if you could be assured of the same one.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

I use Castrol 5-30 blend, and Motorcraft filter. I change it every 5K, so I feel OK about it. Oil and filter is about $60 plus my "free" DIY. With 5K changes there is nothing to worry about.
At least that's what I do, to each his own.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 PM

Anyone have a link to the specs for a Jaguar brand oil filter EAZ1354?
I found specs on the Wix 51228.

BTW, I found this interesting web site last updated 2008:

Oil Filters Revealed
Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Are you guys saying that none of the filters in the attached photo are good enough? These were found using my car (03 XJ8) as the vehicle...
My vote is for the Purolators. But the price is too high. You can get them cheaper at Pep Boys.

Here's what RockAuto.com has to offer.

PENTIUS Part # PLB5618 Engine VIN C $1.91
BOSCH Part # 72209 OE Equivalent; O.D. 2.96"; Height 4.75"; Gasket Attached* $3.09
PRONTO Part # PO5317 VIN 2 $3.10
AUTO EXTRA Part # 61851228 $4.27
MOTORCRAFT Part # FL2021 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} $5.84
FRAM Part # PH5618 Full-Flow Lube Spin-on; Extra Guard; Includes Gasket $6.94
WIX Part # WL7267 Filter Type: Screw-on Filter; Outer Diameter [mm]: 76; Thread Size: UNF 1"-12; Height [mm]: 119To 05/2003 $7.28
ACDELCO Part # PF2254 {#88997063}FILTER,OIL; Base Model $7.39
WIX Part # 51228 {#PH5618} $10.01
MANN Part # W7197 $12.76
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0418175 $13.46

Last edited by heima; 10-28-2012 at 06:39 PM.
baiao (11-07-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I have used nothing but acdelco oil filters on my jag. That's only because my parts supplier keeps them in stock and they're cheap Wix does make excellent filters though.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by heima
BOSCH Part # 72209 OE Equivalent; O.D. 2.96"; Height 4.75"; Gasket Attached* $3.09
That one will be a real disappointment. It is shorter than the OEM filter. There are also a few others that share the same shortcoming.

A couple of the more expensive ones have 8 as opposed to 6 holes in the periphery.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 PM

I bought the usual oil filter (EAZ1354 $18.50) & drain plug (AJ83017 $9.65) today from Jaguar dealer.

Filter in White box as it always has been. Drain plug no longer in a sealed protective plastic bag! It was just handed to me loose! I asked if this was a new one or just a wiped off used one (only 1/2 sarcastically) He said they now get them 20 per bag.

I genuinely cannot tell the difference between the old ones I remove & the new ones I install each oil change. There is no way to change the gasket so, must put in a new drain plug each time. I think with most other cars, you reuse the drain plug. In any event, if they are now shipped with 20 per bag. Then there is nothing that prevents the threaded end from gouging or abrading the washer in the drain plug adjacent to it. Even though this item is way overpriced, at least in the past you paid your $10.00 & had assurance of a mint, clean, new seal for your drain pan hole.

I challenge any of you, next oil change, to examine your old drain plug closely & see if you can see a difference from the new one you are about to install. I suspect there is a difference but not generally visible to the naked eye.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Unless someone can give me a reason other than potential leakage, I see no reason to replace the drain plug with every oil change, but to each his own. It can't hurt, but I don't see the advantage. If you're not leaking, you don't need a new one, in my opinion.

I'm still confused about oil filters, though. I read and watched the previous posts and videos, and short of ordering a filter from the Jaguar dealer, what assurance do I have that the one I get at the auto parts store is okay? In other words, what are the specs of the Jag filter that makes it so good? I've always understood that just because it fits doesn't mean that it's a good filter, but c'mon now, do the Jag filters have something special that the other filters don't have?

Taking this topic a little farther, assume that you have two brand new Jags that get the same amount of use -- you change the oil at the same time on both, and use a Jag filter on one and the cheapest one you can find at the parts store on the corner. How many years or miles would it take before there was any damage to the one car? And, how would you know?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Next time you go to an auto supply store look at a few of the different filters for the same car -- you will be surprised at the difference

Old 10-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised. I've been buy oil filters for decades, sometimes I just get the cheapest and other times I spend a bit more based on recommendations.

What makes matters more confusing is that the price doesn't seem to be the deciding factor when looking for the "best" filter. That's why I'm wonder what the specs of the Jaguar filter are so I can try my best to match them. As we all know, Jaguar buys their filters from someone, and probably changes suppliers all the time, but I would guess that they buy only filters that fit their guidelines. I'd like to know what those guidelines are, if possible.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 PM

From the Wix (Which I have never used) website I can look up the specs for the 51228 oil filter which fits my 2000 XJ8.

I don’t really need to see the height, inner & outer diameter, thread size. I assume no manufacturer will say a filter fits a certain car if it does not.
What I do want to see is:
Filter media type
Nominal micron rating
Max Flow rate
Beta Ratio
By-Pass valve setting PSI

No, I cannot explain each of these things & why a certain number is better than a different number. But, If I could compare the Jaguar specs to Wix & others I could focus on the differences. For example, If Wix or Mobil 1 has a smaller Nominal micron rating vs. OE, is that a good thing? Filter out smaller particles but, what about at the expense of flow rate?

As with any other product, one needs some criteria to compare.
Until & unless I get this data, I will stick with OE oil filters. I only change it 1x/yr using Mobil1 oil so saving $5 is insignificant.

However the $57.00 for the air filter is another story entirely. I’ve seem MUCH cheaper Mann C1130 & Wix 43461 filters online ($12-19) that look virtually identical to the OE.

Quick Reply: Oil filter, OE or ?