XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Oil filter, OE or ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Very good points. I'm thinking that maybe someone could give us the Jag specs.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Compared to the maintenance and running costs I really think the white filter with the little Jaguar on the side is a must and the extra few dollars (if any compared with genuine filters for my other cars) are well spent. OEM for me.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know if this one got posted before or not, but here's a thread from a different site with photos of a tear-down of a Jag oil filter.

Jaguar OEM filter cut open (heavy pics) - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

I have been running the Purolator PureOne filters in all of my cars where I can't buy a better filter like a AMSOIL or a K&N or something, my XJR included. There really is a BIG difference in build quality. I used to be a FRAM believer, until I read several in depth articles by people who really know their bussiness, and found out that FRAMs are pretty much bottom of the barrel in several key areas. Wix filters are solid quality and can be trusted. Purolator is usually top of the pile for the "common" filters. There are some advantages to the more expensive filters like the Mobil1s, the K&Ns, and the AMSOILs, but it's up to you whether it's worth the heavy extra cost. Factory filters are usually mid pack in performance. They aren't bad, but they are usually outperformed by The Purolators, much less the more expensive filters. My recommendation is the Purolator PureOne. Still very affordable and usually does better in tests than the OEM stuff.

Oh, and there is absolutely NO reason to ever change the oil drain plug unless it's leaking or you bugger up the threads or something. They never see anywhere close to enough torque to damage them (the threads in the pan will go LONG before the plug does), so replacing the plug with every oil change is just throwing money down the drain.

Last edited by Cabezagrande; 10-31-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have what sounds like a possible tensioner noise, but mine's an '03. I use a wix filter and read this

Steveinfrance writes:

In that case check your tensioners as the others advise.
There is also a known problem with non-OEM oil filters that don't have a non-return valve in them causing this noise - but that won't blow up your engine like a chain jumping.
You should be able to see if the filter is OEM.
Liebherr 20 tonne tracked loader!
They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabezagrande
Oh, and there is absolutely NO reason to ever change the oil drain plug unless it's leaking or you bugger up the threads or something. They never see anywhere close to enough torque to damage them (the threads in the pan will go LONG before the plug does), so replacing the plug with every oil change is just throwing money down the drain.
I was told the reason to change it had nothing to do with the threads. Rather it was the built in rubber gasket that cannot be separated from the bolt.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

I believe the oil plug design was Fords answer to a long problem of dripping Jaguars -- They wanted to end the problem once and for all. Selling the plug/ gasket assures success -- I have never had a drip from any Jaguar with that design.

You want to purchase a quality filter when it is installed in a car with an extended change interval -- and the valve is important.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

My drain plug had a copper crush washer on it, and as long as you don't get crazy torquing it down it's reuseable pretty much indefinitely. At the very least mine isn't leaking after 2 oil changes on the same plug.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabezagrande
My drain plug had a copper crush washer on it, and as long as you don't get crazy torquing it down it's reuseable pretty much indefinitely. At the very least mine isn't leaking after 2 oil changes on the same plug.
That's a fair point - I always use a new copper wash for the same reason.

I noticed that the OE filter is made by Crosland an English company their filters are OE to Aston Martin and look to be made in Japan from what I can gather, I'm going to look for a couple to test out.

Good cross ref info here -

http://inlinefilters.co.uk/index.php...ducts_id=14502

Last edited by Sean B; 11-05-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member

The OE plug has an "O" ring -- The point of the new design was to eliminate the crush washer and the corresponding torque issues that can occur.

Issues with AL pans and steel plugs is another reason for the design -- although I'm not sure al the engines use AL pans.

Sounds like your plug lost the "O" ring or it was crushed/ damaged and someone substituted the crush washer.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
The point of the new design was to eliminate the crush washer and the corresponding torque issues that can occur.
Or to expand revenue from "consumables". A separate washer would have been fine, but no it had to be a integrated unit.

There are now all nylon washers just like the copper washers which would do a fine job.

On the other hand, lots of people just reuse the drain plug and washer as they have always done with every other car.

Somehow, all the Jiffy Lubes of the world manage to get the oil changed without having the "required" replacement drain plug in stock in case the odd Jaguar rolls in.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes well....there has been a lot of discussion about tis issue.
What you need to ask yourself is not price, not brand but quality.
The things you should be looking for in a quality filter are:
1. Filter body construction.
2. Anti drain back valve whether it has six or eight holes...no matter.
3. Pressure by-pass valve.
4. Filter medium.
Ther are some reputable filter brands which also sell 'cheapies' and it's a matter of knowing which model fits which engine.
I have succesfully used a number of aftermarket filters but all are not equal ;o)

Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Well....as for the sump plugs, I think owners are getting a bit **** when replacing every oil change.
I replace mine every four changes and they come equiped with a large section 'O' ring....never had a drip from any of mine.
They are only 13mm, so don't need overtightening.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member

xxjay8 -- I like your list, but could you explain in more detail, please.

1. What makes for a good filter body construction? Other than the Fram filter that has the black "whatever" on the end, they all look pretty much the same to me.
2. Are you saying that if there are 6 or 8 holes it's okay? What about 7?
3. Again, what makes for a good one (pressure by-pass valve) and how are we to know if the filter we buy fills the bill?
4. Sorry to be repetitious, but again, what makes it good? What filter medium is the right medium, and how do we know what is inside our filters?

Thanks.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

As I said the dripping plug was a continuous problem with Jaguars. Until Jaguar was purchased by Ford it just did not have the money to redesign parts that they felt were not critical.

Nothing like having your new Jaguar dripping in the garage -- but this was common --- same goes for a lot of other seals.

Jaguar would make a lot more money selling 5 cent crush washers for $2.00 -- This was over engineered to completely eliminate a problem that was a constant irritant for dealers and customers.

The free maintenance program mandated that the plug be replaced.

Ford spend untold money -- And then never promoted the increase in the reliability

Old 11-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Wix(Napa), Hastings(Federated) and Baldwin are all quality filters.
Fram gets lots of hate, I don't get it myself. They also have an upgraded line that costs a little bit more.
Oil filters ain't rocket science, boys. Any quality brand that is correct fitment will do fine. Change interval trumps filter choice(within reason) if you ask me.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

How hard could it be to design a drain plug ... or copy someone else?

Or even better, just use a drain plug sourced from GM, Nissan, Toyota or Honda. None of those leaked even when using sheet metal pans and recycling the washers.

The Jaguar V8 doesn't leak reusing the drain plug provided someone hasn't cross threaded the plug or overtorqued it the plug. Even then, a nylon washer and you're golden again. You have two parallel flat surfaces, clamping force and a compliant seal ... how hard could it be?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
How hard could it be to design a drain plug ... or copy someone else?

Or even better, just use a drain plug sourced from GM, Nissan, Toyota or Honda. None of those leaked even when using sheet metal pans and recycling the washers.

The Jaguar V8 doesn't leak reusing the drain plug provided someone hasn't cross threaded the plug or overtorqued it the plug. Even then, a nylon washer and you're golden again. You have two parallel flat surfaces, clamping force and a compliant seal ... how hard could it be?
Agreed
I stand to be corrected on this but I believe much of the old domestic iron with stamped pans used pipe thread which itself is a seal. Saying none of them leaked however is viewing the past through rose colored glasses.
I attribute lots of drain plug leaks to ham handed "Lube Techs" with foot long wrenches who don't replace seal rings.
"Lube tech", this just slays me. What's next? "Certified Lube Tech"?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

I had a lube tech twist mine so hard he stripped the threads, then tried to blame it on me! What a jackass -- it was at a Firestone station, if I remember right, they fixed it "for free!"

Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Not to repeat myself, but I agree the frequency of the oil change trumps the "super duper special oil filter". It's not about money, but hassle to drive to a different town to look for something "special". Napa or Kragen, they are good enough for me. Oh,....forgot to mention, ...98VDP with copper washer under the plug, never a drip. I'll change the washer once a year or so.

And don't even mention "quick lube technicians"! I like my car,....a lot. I don't mind changing the oil myself. At least I know what I'm putting in, and that it's done right. There is not too many people in this world I trust,....service departments, mechanics, and quick whatever places don't even make the bottom of the list.

Quick Reply: Oil filter, OE or ?