XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Oil pan leaking still, suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil pan leaking still, suggestions please

Hi all,
2003 sport
I had oil leaking from the oil pan around the rear side of the bolts. I did the oil change and the changed the gasket. Torque it to spec and in the order of the specified pattern and the darn bolt pan is still leaking from the rear side of the pan. I've tighten the bolt even more and still leaking. Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer?

Old 03-04-2017, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 818 Posts

Every time I change the oil filter the oil channels down the left, topside of the pan and around the backside. I always have spray off with brake cleaner so it won't be dripping oil. Maybe your oil filter is leaking?? I'd clean it all off first then reevaluate. You don't want to take it to the dealer for them to do what I just mentioned so they can charge you almost $200 with tax.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:58 AM

It's not the filter. That's new, clean and not leaking. I did cleaned the bottom pan and it's seeping oil still. I wonder if I just need a new pan.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

When you took it off, did the pan look like it had been off before? Were there previous traces of sealant, someone surfaced it and there's no black paint on sealing surface, damage to the pan, etc... Did any of those bolts come out or go in an unusual manor? I haven't come across one on these engines but, its possible that one of them could have a cracked boss in the bed plate where someone prior to you could have over tightened that bolt.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:23 PM

It's been removed before prior to my ownership. The gasket only goes on one way right? I might just take it apart again and reassemble it. Lets see.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure it can only go on one way. When you take the pan off and get it clean, carefully inspect the top if the pan to make sure it's flat. Even though it's a new seal, maybe you need to put some sealer in with it. Just a thought.