XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Oil type and amount?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil type and amount?

I plan on doing the first oil change on the X03 XJ8 sport that I picked up. What weight oil and how much is required for the 4.0? Also, besides a new filter and possibly drain plug gasket, is there anything that would make the oil change on this vehicle different than any other car I have done?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Engine Oil Capacity: 6.5 quarts
Type: Mobil 1 0W-40 or Redline 5W-40. Basically, these are the two grades that will be universal no matter the climate. 5W-30 in my opinion is too light of an oil for the 4.0 V-8 that is known to consume oil naturally.

Last edited by Usdm-sti-ftw; 08-18-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Any high quality 10w-40 oil should do. There was a TSB issued a while back recommending 10w-40 viscosity vs. 5-30 that is probably recommended in your owner's manual. Oil change is straight forward, moving/removing the alternator vent channel (one bolt) will make removing the oil filter easier. You can also suck the oil out of the dipstick on these motors if you have a pump like most dealers do.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

7 1/2 qts with oil and filter change.

Doug

Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey Mr. Initial Man,

Who in hell are you? You're posting very authoritative, and very incorrect information. The guy with the ZF transmission in his XJ8 will agree, hopefully before he dumps the wrong fluid in his car or tries to buy hisself a dipstick that doesn't exist.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:37 PM

Wazari, you have a reference number for that please?

Old 08-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think he is talking about 100-10 but I thought that really only went to heavier oil in Mexico....why, I don't know. The rest of the bullitien says you can use four different ranges between -30 and +50 c. Good enough for me. Frequently I am wrong....(it is interesting to note an endorsement for fully synthetic in Mexico.....what is with that?? I live near Mexico, would it know I was close?)

Old 08-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was right, I was wrong....100-10, was revised in 4/99 to say.....

Follow the engine oil specifications detailed below when adding or changing engine oil. Use only engine oils that comply with these specifications and have viscosity grades appropriate to the ambient temperatures experienced in the market concerned.
USA/CANADA
Use engine oil that meets or exceeds API SJ/EC and ILSAC GF2. SAE 5W/30 is the preferred engine oil in most climate conditions although SAE 10W130 or SAE 10W/40 are acceptable in moderate to hot conditions.
MEXICO ONLY
Use engine oil that meets or exceeds API SJ/EC and WSAC GF2. Vehicles for the Mexico market must use fully synthetic oils of the following viscosities:
^5W-40, 5W-50
^10W-40, 10W-50 15W-40, 15W-50

There is a little chart above the above language that shows that 10w-XX should not be used below 15 F.

So Why would I want to use 10w-30 or 40? If they say the others are good to 122f ambient, should I have reason to believe that I know more than they do and buy heavier oil? My problem is that I am just not that bright....so I listen to the experts.

The following users liked this post:
LAjag (05-12-2019)
Old 08-24-2009, 12:10 AM

Thanks for that John,

Sorry if you went to all that trouble on my account, I was just out in the shop re-reading that bit of ancient history. There is nothing there to suggest that using conventional 5W30 is not a perfectly acceptable recommendation, which is what I have always used for AJV8's. If anyone has a subsequent bulletin on the issue (the copy of 100-10 I have was last ammended in 8/99), please share it here.

Tropical climatic conditions, or severe oil consumption due to Nikasil deterioration, would be the only situations where I might consider a higher viscosity alternative. Correct operation of the V V T units (AJ26) and C V V T units (AJ27) rely on correct oil viscosity and temperature:what anybody wants to use is up to you, I'll stick with the preferred median factory specification. Somebody just posted recently that the BG Engine Restore additive was enough to flag a DTC for V V T faults, so I think that's a pretty good indicator that the requirements are somewhat inflexible.

Now before you get excited Mr. Initial Man, I realize that your engine does not have variable valve timing. Most XJ and XK owners do, as their engines are not supercharged. They also do not have the same model transmission as your car does. But they will all see your company logo and accept your posts as fact and your opinions as credible. I don't charge people for oil that doesn't go in their engine, and they don't leave here paying for only 6.5 quarts.

The following 3 users liked this post by JagtechOhio:
LAjag (05-12-2019), slats (03-08-2024), Terry Young (09-03-2021)
Old 08-24-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
Thanks for that John,

Sorry if you went to all that trouble on my account, I was just out in the shop re-reading that bit of ancient history. There is nothing there to suggest that using conventional 5W30 is not a perfectly acceptable recommendation, which is what I have always used for AJV8's. If anyone has a subsequent bulletin on the issue (the copy of 100-10 I have was last ammended in 8/99), please share it here.

Tropical climatic conditions, or severe oil consumption due to Nikasil deterioration, would be the only situations where I might consider a higher viscosity alternative. Correct operation of the V V T units (AJ26) and C V V T units (AJ27) rely on correct oil viscosity and temperature:what anybody wants to use is up to you, I'll stick with the preferred median factory specification. Somebody just posted recently that the BG Engine Restore additive was enough to flag a DTC for V V T faults, so I think that's a pretty good indicator that the requirements are somewhat inflexible.

Now before you get excited Mr. Initial Man, I realize that your engine does not have variable valve timing. Most XJ and XK owners do, as their engines are not supercharged. They also do not have the same model transmission as your car does. But they will all see your company logo and accept your posts as fact and your opinions as credible. I don't charge people for oil that doesn't go in their engine, and they don't leave here paying for only 6.5 quarts.
First off, it was only a "suggestion" from personal experience, factory recommendations and what others have found to be a successful oil viscosity as well as what I have in a fluid recommendation guide. Here is the TSB for a different oil recommendation.As you can see 5W-30 is NOT the ideal oil to use in MOST climates or just the winter months for us folks here in California:

If you check the thread you have rudely pointed out, you will see I made an error, apologized and corrected it before I ever even read your above post. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=23190

I know you are an experienced Jag owner/mechanic but no need to be condescending. Till next time, have a good day sir

PS- Sorry for the typo- 7.5 quarts not 6.5-

Last edited by Usdm-sti-ftw; 01-19-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:16 AM

That's the same bulletin that John cited, I went out to re-read, and you misquoted. Nobody handed me a whistle and a Lifeguard T shirt, but I'll call anybody out when they are posting misinformation in an archive that laypersons are going to use as a reference source. Condescending my ***, I make sure to apply the same scrutiny to everything I post and expect to hear the whistle when I don't.

By the way, does Mobil permit the republication of their technical documents in Jaguar literature without consent? I was under the impression that JTIS pages were protected by copyright law, and that explained why more people didn't see fit to reprint sections of the factory manual here. You might want to clear that with a system administrator if it's a liberty you plan on continuing to take.

The correction you made about the transmission type was made after you read my post and learned for the first time that your car, and dude's dad's car, had different transmissions. Lose the company logo and start all your posts with "I'm just shooting from the hip, but...." and I'll stop blowing the whistle.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
That's the same bulletin that John cited, I went out to re-read, and you misquoted. Nobody handed me a whistle and a Lifeguard T shirt, but I'll call anybody out when they are posting misinformation in an archive that laypersons are going to use as a reference source. Condescending my ***, I make sure to apply the same scrutiny to everything I post and expect to hear the whistle when I don't.

By the way, does Mobil permit the republication of their technical documents in Jaguar literature without consent? I was under the impression that JTIS pages were protected by copyright law, and that explained why more people didn't see fit to reprint sections of the factory manual here. You might want to clear that with a system administrator if it's a liberty you plan on continuing to take.

The correction you made about the transmission type was made after you read my post and learned for the first time that your car, and dude's dad's car, had different transmissions. Lose the company logo and start all your posts with "I'm just shooting from the hip, but...." and I'll stop blowing the whistle.
Okay then, a less harsh tone then would be appreciated.

No shenanigans here in regards to your assumption that I'm violating some copyright law, which was laughable...

What I uploaded on the other thread was not from Mobil or Jaguar from what you are insinuating. It was a simple search, copy and paste. Here is the link: http://www.2carpros.com/forum/1998-j...-vt203861.html

I really didn't read your post before I re-posted with the correct information. I checked that particular thread since I was offline for awhile to see if I had helped the guy out. I saw I had a mistake, made the correction and then proceeded to read your previous post in this particular thread. Believe it or not

I simply use the company logo for promotion of the brand, my loyalty to the brand and in case someone had any specific questions regarding any Mobil lubricants in personal, commercial or industrial applications. I will change my avatar to the Pegasus so it doesn't upset you so much and won't be such an obvious plug of the brand. I'm here to simply share the experience of owning these great cars and hopefully help some people out along the way.

Last edited by Usdm-sti-ftw; 08-24-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:45 AM

Read what I wrote, I didn't suggest you lifted anything from Mobil other than their logo. You lifted what looks to me like a JTIS reprint, already lifted by someone else and pasted on another site.

Less harsh? Ok, then revise your preamble from "I'm just shooting from the hip..." to

"You may find this laughable, but...."

Old 08-24-2009, 01:56 AM

I've been polite and respectful of your opinions/comments and I have done my best to articulate my positions to you in a courteous manner. For the sake of my continued membership of this board I'm ending this now in hopes that your big tough keyboard bullying will go away in time since maybe your just having a bad day. Good bye...

Old 08-24-2009, 02:06 AM

Not my Forum any more than it is yours. It belongs to everybody who uses it. So people come looking for information, and they read bogus stuff and accurate stuff, and don't have the background to make the determination. What they end up with is mud. You accuse me of slinging it, I'm just trying to wash it away.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 AM

I have used both 5/30 and 10/40, with and without Engine Restore, without trouble. I have always had blow-by, but hey, its a 100,000+ plus car. I recently discovered a cylinder with 0 compression, so I am wondering if there is a 50/200 option out there. Regardless, I have found that oil seems to be a personal preference issue. My dad and granddad always used pennzoil, so I gravitate towards that brand. Others have similar preferences for no really good reason other than past experience and comfort. For me, Mobil has always been too pricey, not enough bang for the buck, but I also can't bring myself to pay $.99 per quart for some generic brand. Generally, though, I don't think there is truly a world of difference among any of them. I would love to hear some solid science as to why one brand is better than another. And, when I say "solid science," what I mean is "bottom of my 6th grade class intelligence-level science." And, when I say "bottom of my 6th grade class intelligence-level science," what I mean is "bottom of my 6th grade class after having failed 6th grade the first time and being held back and taking it again intelligence-level science." In other words, I'm not real bright, kids, so dumb it down for me.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SoTxXjr
I have used both 5/30 and 10/40, with and without Engine Restore, without trouble. I have always had blow-by, but hey, its a 100,000+ plus car. I recently discovered a cylinder with 0 compression, so I am wondering if there is a 50/200 option out there. Regardless, I have found that oil seems to be a personal preference issue. My dad and granddad always used pennzoil, so I gravitate towards that brand. Others have similar preferences for no really good reason other than past experience and comfort. For me, Mobil has always been too pricey, not enough bang for the buck, but I also can't bring myself to pay $.99 per quart for some generic brand. Generally, though, I don't think there is truly a world of difference among any of them. I would love to hear some solid science as to why one brand is better than another. And, when I say "solid science," what I mean is "bottom of my 6th grade class intelligence-level science." And, when I say "bottom of my 6th grade class intelligence-level science," what I mean is "bottom of my 6th grade class after having failed 6th grade the first time and being held back and taking it again intelligence-level science." In other words, I'm not real bright, kids, so dumb it down for me.
Here are some helpful links to help you understand the function of motor oil and it's properties. It doesn't answer your question of why one oil is better than another but its is important to understand the active role motor oils play in keeping your engine clean and healthy. I'll see if I can upload some charts off Mobil's website later since the server is down for some reason

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index....d=51&Itemid=58

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index....d=52&Itemid=59

Last edited by Usdm-sti-ftw; 08-24-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtechohio
wazari, you have a reference number for that please?
tsb 100-10

Old 08-24-2009, 12:24 PM

Thank you, that's the only one I had found as well.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

If we've answered the OP question, I think we can close this discussion.

If either USDM or any other contributor did post inaccurate information, please update the thread accordingly. for example, is it 6.5 quarts or 7.5.

JTO is correct that this forum will be searched later on and other joe's will use this information to make as much of an informed choice as possible. It would be great if the statements being archived for future internet browsers be accurate.

Another tip to anyone, including a staple in mosts of my threads, are the words IIRC (if I remember correctly), I believe, or I think (among other 'beliefs')., unless I am absolutely certain of the words being typed are factual. I would hope anyone would want the exact same thing. If a statement is typed such as this 'The grass is purple' gives the impression of absolute certainty. Please use caution when taking this manner on these forums.

Thanks for reading.

Quick Reply: Oil type and amount?