XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Ok I want everyones opinions an thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:02 PM
ud
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

See but the ace in my sleeve is I have a guy doing the tuning and I am not going to say exact numbers yet cus its not perfected yet but on a stock car we have gotten more at the rear wheels than any companies have claimed to get at the crank so lets just say its not less that 30rwhp and not more than 100rwhp lol got to make the margin wide so that its not so easy to guess. The stock tune sucks big time lets just say that.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 105 Likes on 54 Posts

Well it appears my guesstimate is very close.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Mech wheres your sense of adventure any lame retard can remove what makes a jag a jag and put in an LSX series motor considering they are my mainstream of my car tuning buisness it would be super easy I have a LS7 powered camaro making 560 rwhp NA on 91 octane at 5000 ft above sea level uncorrected. I have an 02 trans am with a LQ9 built 408 running a custom single turbo system making over a 1000rwhp. yes its cake and easy in fact im a great tuner with EFI live and HP tuners but thats the whole thing. I want to keep this jag a JAG meaning it has a JAG drivetrain and take it as far as i can. I still think other pioneers before and gotten their hands dirty. Im sorry i have just scratched the surface and sad tht the intake elbow can be improved as much as I did and made such a BIG difference and thats just the beginning. make the intercooler system better will yield huge returns, We have yet to see what P&P the heads, headers, camshafts, bigger TB, an such will do. I can say tht I think a solid 420 rwhp without a twin screw is possible i may be wrong but hell its fun to try.
I put a GMPP Ramjet in my Jeep YJ and somewhat regret doing so. I wouldn't say I'm a retard or that it was extremely easy to do so. I have over $25k into my Jeep for the frame-off restoration and build, so I understand where the money can go. I didn't bat an eye the first time I pulled out of my driveway, got after it and the rear diff. yolk exploded. Even now, it could always use something.

You're in the business for this, so there's an obvious advantage. If you have the time and money to try and achieve 450hp with all Jag components, and your motor/trans won't puke, go for it.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
Exactly what I did:

Power increase noticed with this mod?

Anyone dyno before and after?

I just bought a '02 xjr and I am gonig to dyno it before doing any mods so I can track what actually produced improvements and for what cost per HP. I will post all my info when I have it for everyone's benefit.

I don't really trust these butt dynos...

Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 AM
ud

Originally Posted by mechelement
I put a GMPP Ramjet in my Jeep YJ and somewhat regret doing so. I wouldn't say I'm a retard or that it was extremely easy to do so. I have over $25k into my Jeep for the frame-off restoration and build, so I understand where the money can go. I didn't bat an eye the first time I pulled out of my driveway, got after it and the rear diff. yolk exploded. Even now, it could always use something.

You're in the business for this, so there's an obvious advantage. If you have the time and money to try and achieve 450hp with all Jag components, and your motor/trans won't puke, go for it.
Well the trans in the XJR is one of the strongest auto trans made but I think it will hold it considering avos is making well over 600 at the crank on a stock bottom end i think the engines are up to the challenge.

Also let me apologize I wasnt trying to insinuate that u r a retard i meant its easy to just give up and go with something tht has a serious following like chevy, ford or hell even honda for that matter. I just want to see how far I can take the jag motor and M112 lol

Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Well the trans in the XJR is one of the strongest auto trans made but I think it will hold it considering avos is making well over 600 at the crank on a stock bottom end i think the engines are up to the challenge.
I'd like to put an XJR transmission into my XJ8 VDP. I don't know what's involved besides swapping the transmission, but assume there has to be a lot because it's a Jaguar.

Also let me apologize I wasnt trying to insinuate that u r a retard i meant its easy to just give up and go with something tht has a serious following like chevy, ford or hell even honda for that matter. I just want to see how far I can take the jag motor and M112 lol
No apology necessary! I'll keep up with your threads to see your progress. It's pretty cool to read about all of the Jaguar performance mods to see how much involvement is necessary. These cars are damn near unique works of art, each one. And to do something requires some serious electronics swapping all around.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Newby
Power increase noticed with this mod?

Actually, the stock intake is pretty restrictive. I gained about 30hp with a full intake system. (throttle body forward)
Didn't do a base line dyno. But the intake dropped my 1/4 mile time more than 3/10 of a second.

The following users liked this post:
Newby (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 AM
ud

well I did a baseline and a few other tests looks like 3.5 inch pipe is the key

Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Mine is 3.5" And according to your dynos, my guess was spot on One tenth of a second faster in the 1/4 mile equals a gain of about 10 horsepower.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM
ud

true enough its a good rule of thumb and after doing a 17% drivetrain loss to my wheel results comes out to be dang near spot on maybe a lil more.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Didn't do a base line dyno. But the intake dropped my 1/4 mile time more than 3/10 of a second.
If I wanted to copy cat your system from the air meter back (keeping the stock box with K&N) exactly what parts/tubing are you using?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:48 PM

I don't think the angles I used would work with the stock air box. Mine is a straight shot as it comes off the corner of the charge cooler and that angle is 75 deg. instead of 90. I used 3.5" silicone hose and an aluminum elbow with a nipple welded on where you see the breather hose go to.

Btw, I'll be selling my intake soon.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 PM

I don't think the angles I used would work with the stock air box. Mine is a straight shot as it comes off the corner of the charge cooler and that angle is 75 deg. instead of 90. I used 3.5" silicone hose and an aluminum elbow with a nipple welded on where you see the breather hose go to.

Btw, I'll be selling my intake soon.
Selling Please pm me with price I don't mind moving the water filler like you did.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 PM
ud

hey steve why would you be selling yours soon??

Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Going with a different setup. If it doesn't sell, I'll just reuse most of it. I thought I would see if anyone wanted the whole thing before I adapted it to the new setup.

Last edited by SteveM; 06-06-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,370 Likes on 1,077 Posts

hey steve why would you be selling yours soon??

Twin screw.... Bet you!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:13 PM
ud

Originally Posted by Sean B
Twin screw.... Bet you!
Well I have a 2.3L kenny bell sittin in my workshop right now and I have alot of the stuff built like the inlet elbow and such but run into quite a few snags and so decided once I sold my old daily driver (05 audi S4) tht i would hold off since the jag had to become my daily til I get something else but heres my thoughts now its kind of a challenge to see how close I can get to Avos rwhp numbers with a M112 LOL. it may take alot more to do so but so far everything has been either cheap or relatively cheap. True it helps to have a shop to use anytime, a tuner tht is helping me out, a fab guy, and such. But the porting is my work I have been a avid porter for years and tht was free and the gains were very good. The nxt things will be the bigger mannys my design and flow work, and are gunna be relatively cheap to make if anyone wants a set if they show it to be worth it. The downpipes and high flow cats were cheap. Bigger Tb is cheap, a nice 5th gen blower is worth it and the porting of the intercooler mannys and injector bosses should help. I figure with the intercooler upgrades I plan on doing I should be able to drop the inlet temps quite a bit going with a modified cobra setup. This should let the roots do its shing even though it will be overdriven.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 PM

This is starting to be my favorite entertainment channel

Love reading the progress.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:30 PM
ud

Originally Posted by Newby
This is starting to be my favorite entertainment channel

Love reading the progress.
Well then you should have life pick me up for a reality show LOL Im glad you are enjoying probably not as much as i am doing cus i get to see and feel the results and believe me i wouldnt post it if i couldnt feel it. seeing is great on a dyno but Ill tell ya now feeling the difference is what makes a smile come to your face. Heres a lil thing to bring a grin to your face, I may have gained a good amount with the intake but it was the bottom end right off idle tht the torque shined HARD. Before ive had a pretty easy time of flooring my car from a stop light and it wouldnt lit up the tires one in part is im higher up in alt making the engine lil less powerful and I have awesome tires on the back. I could power brake it anytime but i mean just mashing the gas it would churp and just GOOOOOOOOOO. Now i barely touch the gas hard and its smoke city baby its funny now I have to conciously worry bout the car breaking loose. Its intense. Also the biggest thing I noticed other than that about the intake was above 4000 rpms where it use to level off NOPE not anymore it pulls n pulls and pulls all the way to redline where before after 4k it would go but seemed kinda drab after. NOW its fun all the time and i know this may sound childish but I can HEAR the blower sing from off idle and until its SCREAMING at upper rpm yeah baby!!!! Guess even in your late 30s you can love tht sound.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:42 PM

I can spin tires from a 40 mph cruise, in the dry. With only exhaust and intake mods. Can't hear the blower whine though, with my exhaust. It's going to be downright undrivable with much more power

Quick Reply: Ok I want everyones opinions an thoughts