XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

This one says it lost its oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022 | 11:49 AM
|
Default This one says it lost its oil pressure?

This one says it lost its oil pressure? And then I shut it down when the oil pressure light in the dash came on it’s when I picked up this summer 102,000 miles someone replace the headliner not a bad Car but needs a rack and pinion. New tires. Supposedly a light came on in the dash and he said he thinks he lost his oil pressure “was and then I shut it down. When I bought the car I cranked it to see if it would start and that was a no go. I’m going to start on this car soon my thinking is timing chain broke plastic that small enough and sucked up into the oil pump and plugged it . But I’m not sure if the car just didn’t overheat? As when I got it he had the cheap harbor freight hose pincher on The return bottles and the heater under the dash? Always a mystery. The tie rods at the end of the

Rack and pinion and carpenter waffle hammer marks beat marks look like a wood butcher had been working on it

Old 09-18-2022 | 11:55 AM
|

It has a new set tires! Michelins...3/4 tank of gas ...

Old 09-18-2022 | 10:01 PM
|

So I worked on this thing today I got the valve covers off. I did a compression test first of the valves all go up and down when the motor is cranking that’s good I put a camera in The spark plug holes they all look good the top of the Pistons. I did a compression test the passenger Bank of cylinders has no compression on the other bank only the two cylinders closest to the driver have any and it’s at 175 pounds each. With the spark plugs out it should spin free with a 24 mm wrench but it does not it’s in a terrible bind. I am pull in the front cover and have it most the way off and we’ll see if the chain jumped down at the bottom or what happened like I see the guy said that the oil pump failed and he shut it down but this is so Tight I can’t imagine it being just a burn bearing bearing

Old 09-18-2022 | 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

You have compression only on 2 of the 8 cylinders? Did I understand that correctly? If you have the valve covers off, do all the flats of the cams line up? Are the secondary tensioners aluminum or the factory plastic ones? I would be more abject to pulling the oil pan off first to see how the oil looks and to see what’s in the pan prior to spending time on the timing cover.

The following 2 users liked this post by Addicted2boost:
Don B (09-18-2022), Vonnslingo (09-19-2022)
Old 09-18-2022 | 10:41 PM
|

On the driver side Bank the first two cylinders are 35 pounds basically nothing and then 175 pounds on the back ones. On the passenger Bank all of them are zero. Everything that I can see on the camp shifts look good everything seems tight and in good shape the tensioners are plastic but they’re not even cracked . I’ve almost got the top front cover off so I’ll keep going with that and I drain the oil out of this car it was just black I’ve got the locking bars on the cam shafts And fly wheel is pined

Old 09-18-2022 | 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vonnslingo
So I worked on this thing today I got the valve covers off. I did a compression test first of the valves all go up and down when the motor is cranking that’s good I put a camera in The spark plug holes they all look good the top of the Pistons. I did a compression test the passenger Bank of cylinders has no compression on the other bank only the two cylinders closest to the driver have any and it’s at 175 pounds each. With the spark plugs out it should spin free with a 24 mm wrench but it does not it’s in a terrible bind.
Hi Vonnslingo,

It's a good idea to ensure the engine will turn freely by hand before cranking the engine for compression tests to be sure the engine rotates freely. It does sound as though something is damaged internally, so perhaps you should not crank it again until you've identified the problem.

How did the engine sound when you were cranking it?

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-18-2022 | 11:49 PM
|

Spark plugs were out it should’ve spun just like a drill motor but it did not I had low battery in it with a charger hooked up and it seemed as if it was working a little too much. Something must be bound up in it? As it sits now the locking bars I’ve got the cam shafts locked in place and the fly wheel is locked in place the number one piston is at the top that all makes sense but it seems strange that why they would be no compression on that side. When you look at the valves they’re all opening and closing

Old 09-19-2022 | 04:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vonnslingo
Spark plugs were out it should’ve spun just like a drill motor but it did not I had low battery in it with a charger hooked up and it seemed as if it was working a little too much. Something must be bound up in it? As it sits now the locking bars I’ve got the cam shafts locked in place and the fly wheel is locked in place the number one piston is at the top that all makes sense but it seems strange that why they would be no compression on that side. When you look at the valves they’re all opening and closing
Timing lockup is at 45 degrees after TDC. When all valves are closed.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022 | 06:24 AM

I'm getting hung up on how you were able to crank it and do a compression test at all if you can't turn it by hand with all the plugs out. Something isn't right at all here.

Old 09-19-2022 | 08:44 AM
|

The lock up on the crankshaft was just after the piston goes back down I did not check to see if both valves were open or closed it was at that point that the cams flat spots rotated into position to spin this motor it takes a big Cheater pipe it will rotate but it is very restricted.

Old 09-19-2022 | 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Default Unusual

Not all a common issue. It sounds as though there is an obstruction to the
crank.

Old 09-19-2022 | 10:12 AM
|

So the backside to this story this car Came off of craigslist. $1000 the ad says it lost its oil pressure and then I shut it down when I went to go get the car we pushed it out of the mini storage and there was a puddle of oil underneath it but the oil I have guessed that it came from the power steering fluid as they have Brown pick fluid in Like hydraulic fluid. The reservoir on the power steering is empty and the rack and pinion looks like it’s shot so that’s why it was Power steering fluid. The damage that was done to this car was done before it came into my possession so I am starting from kind of a Ground Zero to see what’s going on with it so I pulled the plugs valve covers and did a compression test it cranked but it seemed like it cranked slow and where it was under stress. Without the spark plugs in it it should’ve spun like a drill motor? I’ll know more when I pull the front cover which will happen this morning and I will pull the oil pan to see what’s in it I’m not sure if the Pistons walls are scarred up extreme? Maybe the oil pump really did fail but looking at the valve drain it looks good and the cam tensioners don’t show any cracking yet I’m into this car for $1000 and it has a new set of Michelin’s 3/4 of a tank of fuel and a good battery

Old 09-19-2022 | 10:35 AM

You often cannot see the cracks in the plastic upper tiiming chain tensioners until you remove them - the cracks can be small and hidden when in situ.

One thought is that it might help to squirt some penetrant or Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder and let it soak for a few days in case the piston rings are stuck.

Old 09-19-2022 | 11:45 AM
|
Old 09-19-2022 | 11:49 AM
|

I will be getting some better pictures in the pan there was a lot of plastic but I suspect it was probably from the first time someone had swapped the timing chains on this thing there was a lot and then I’ve got the few shaves of what looks like a bearing bearing

Old 09-19-2022 | 11:54 AM
|
Old 09-19-2022 | 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, that’s pretty bad. Unless you like tinkering, I’d pass on doing any more investigative surgery but, it’s your car. I’d just go on Car-part.com and look for a used engine.

Old 09-19-2022 | 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

What does the oil screen look like?

Old 09-19-2022 | 01:06 PM
|
Old 09-19-2022 | 01:10 PM
|

I don’t think this is like the car to put back on the road if you find a cheap engine yeah it’s not bad but it needs the suspension all upgraded including the steering someone put a homemade headliner in there and actually looks pretty good and the interior is OK clean but I think it’s been wrecked in the rear end or repainted if you look at the photos I was thinking I was money ahead keep any new Michelin tires Selling the catalytic converter’s keeping the battery and storing the rest for parts or if the motor showed up I could re-motor it that was my thinking

Quick Reply: This one says it lost its oil pressure?