XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Opinions on issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on issues.

Hello everyone,

This is the first Jaguar I have owned, please bear with me as my knowledge of Jag specific things is very rudimentary. Ok these are some issues on my Jag & hopefully people can shed some light if they're caused by something specific or if theyre more general. Many thanks in advance.

- Firstly when I cold started the car yesterday afternoon there were some awful knocking clunking noises that lasted about 1 second once it kicked over. There was light blue smoke out of both tailpipes when revving it, one of the pipes lightly spat carbon/black stuff over the concrete. This was the only time it has done it, every other cold/warm start has been fine before & after.

- Secondly when driving the car between 70kmh & 80kmh under load (so up an incline, etc) it can't decide what gear to be in. It keeps down & up shifting until the speed is more than 80kmh (like the engine is down on power), but if I sink the boot in to WOT it kicks down & accelerates accordingly. It also accelerates past 80kmh from lower speeds/standing without issue, it only occurs if intending to hold 80kmh. Also while this indecision/bogging down is occurring, i get a deep rumbling noise from the left side of the car like from the exhaust pipe. Im fairly confident this is an engine issue not a gearbox one. It may be related to the below condition but am unsure;

- And lastly this one I've figured out is my cruise control doesn't engage due to the relevant vacuum hose being broken off, but was wondering if this is related to the above issue, and also why I get a "rear bulb failure" warning each time I brake, despite all lights working.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

All vacuum hoses and joints must be whole and seal perfectly or you can expect grief.

It's the way cars are due to EPA/CARB rules (and it makes sense really).

The following users liked this post:
Jagman85 (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 08:36 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

"All bulbs working" Did you verify high mounted 3rd brake light working? Make sure all bulbs are the same brand and wattage as well. Leave it at a shop overnight so they can hear the noise. Sounds like timing chain guides are about to break? Is it smoke or steam? Black liquid on a cold start will remove some carbon. its probably normal this time of year. The steam will liquefy the carbon and it will drip from the exhaust at times.