XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Owning two Vanden Plas:good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010 | 06:28 PM
|
Default Owning two Vanden Plas:good or bad?

Unfortunately, my bird is crashed, but I am here thankfully. Would it be wise to own two Vanden Plas XJ8s? I think parts will only become more scarce as time goes on. What do you guys do about worn out console tops and worn seats? I am concerned that the cars may become money pits and the parts are slightly harder to come by than your average domestic, which I am used to. From a maintenance point of view over the next 5-10 years, would it be wise to own two 99 xj8s with 140k and 150k? I am concerned I will be doing tensioners on these as well. Let me know thanks
-Rob

Old 07-21-2010 | 07:34 PM

I would say since you would have 2 it would be reasonable, if one breaks down you still have the other. I haven't had much experience with these cars (my XJR is currently running with a little over 63,000 miles) but well maintained V8 XJs don't seem to have too many problems

Old 07-21-2010 | 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

At a 150k miles you haven't replaced the tensioners? The pox upon you!

Wishing a cam chain failure will not happen is certain doom!

These cars will run a long time with the appearance items failing before the mechanical if you do the necessary maintenance and repair.

Old 07-21-2010 | 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by ixj8it
Unfortunately, my bird is crashed, but I am here thankfully. Would it be wise to own two Vanden Plas XJ8s? I think parts will only become more scarce as time goes on. What do you guys do about worn out console tops and worn seats? I am concerned that the cars may become money pits and the parts are slightly harder to come by than your average domestic, which I am used to. From a maintenance point of view over the next 5-10 years, would it be wise to own two 99 xj8s with 140k and 150k? I am concerned I will be doing tensioners on these as well. Let me know thanks
-Rob

I dont want to be negative, but I would be cautious with 2 Vanden Plas XJ8's. I have a Vanden Plas and it is very delicate and requires close attention from almost all aspects. When parking, don't pull up too close to the curb because it will scrape, be careful when driving down drive ways and etc. The interior is very delicate and forget about throwing things in the back seat when the trunk is full, unless you don't mind cracked wood trim and scratched leather. The leather can dry out and crack more easily than in some other cars. The ivory interior color is STUNNIG but very easily damaged. Even the headlights are glass instead of plastic and have shattered on me about 3 times despite babying the car.

The drive train and suspension are pretty delicate too. Tensioners and transmission problems are issues to watch out for. The suspension bushings wore out much faster than those on my BMW 5 series.

As far as appearance items, in comparison to my BMW, the leather, wood, plastics, door release handles, and etc. are pretty delicate. If I treated my VDP like my BMW, I can easily see an interior with scratched leather, cracked wood, and plagued by rattles. Its like a sexy woman, she expects alot because of her beauty.

However, I LOVE my VDP like NO OTHER CAR I have had!! I have never been so attached to a car, and dread letting other people drive it!! She turns way more heads than a new Range Rover, and I constantly hear compliments where ever I go. Its smooth, fast, spacious, handles well and has more character than almost any moden luxury car.

Old 07-22-2010 | 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by ixj8it
-Rob
Two XJ8 equals twice the fun!
Get the secondary tensioners replaced immediately.
Then sit back and relax.
Your local upholsterer can handle the console and seats.