XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

P0103 P0101 MAF problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default P0103 P0101 MAF problems

Hi there folks.

Having issues with my XJR for some time now.

Have been doing some research about this code and havent realy come up with a good answer.

The code P0101 sets and resets itself.. I can clear it and it will come back after 5-400 km of driving.. And sometimes when the MIL is on it goes away on it´s own.. The car also shuts down when I´m hitting 5500 rpms.

Ive changed the MAF to a new unit and airleaks isn´t something I think I have because of the readings I get on MAF value.

When going full throttle the readings go upp and freezez at 400..

The car has an lower supercargerpulley uppgrade but a had problems before this aswell. The only thing new after the pulley is the car shutting down hitting 5500 rpm´s

Anyone have some tips for me to get me started in the right direction ?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Have you checked the following,
MAFS to ECM sensor ground circuit: open circuit
MAFS to ECM sense circuit: Short circuit to B+ voltage

What year is the car?
Have you got the wiring diagram PDF?
When you say "shuts down" you mean dash lights, power, engine stops? or hits a limiter or something else?

Fault sounds electrical to me...

Old 09-16-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Have you checked the following,
MAFS to ECM sensor ground circuit: open circuit
MAFS to ECM sense circuit: Short circuit to B+ voltage

What year is the car?
Have you got the wiring diagram PDF?
When you say "shuts down" you mean dash lights, power, engine stops? or hits a limiter or something else?

Fault sounds electrical to me...
Hi Sean. Yep sounds electrical to me too

Nope i haven´t checked the wires and nope no wiring diagram.. Do you have this as and PDF and could you post it.

The car is a 2001 modell.

When i say shuts down I mean its like hitting a wall like a rev limitier but alot harder. Guessing this is beacuse the MAF is bottoming out.

The readings on the airflow hits 400 long before those RPM´s in full throtle.. I didnt buy my MAF from Jag but it looks exactly the same with the correct numbers on except for one thing the part nr is LNE1620BB and the old one ended with BA or AB. Though i have seen that this is the correct replacemt part. Ir ii it not ?

Old 09-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

File's too big - if you have a copy of JTIS it's in the pdf's file = called jzj2001en
Or it may be on the forum's mediafire storage, (I know the JTIS is) have a look around and I'll do the same.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 PM

I have the JTIS... just never got to install it.. Will do it now and se if i find it

Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Found the wiring diagram now.

Just to be sure what values am a supposted to have on each connecter for everything to be OK.

What pussles me abit is the wire on pos 1 on the maf going to something called 54 E where is this connected an is it earth or possitive.. From what I can read in the diagram if its possitive it should only have one number... But then again if its ground it can never have the "E" and where does it come from ??

Pos 2 is from the EM83-26 and 83-27
Pos 3 is from the EM83-28
Pos 4 is from the EM82-17
Pos 5 is from the EM83-13 (guessing this is 5volt because of the splitting of the cable to several components)

What i cant find is what i should have at each conector messuring with or without the MAF connected.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

You are only looking for supply, so a probe with test light will work, it's from MAF to ECM.

You need to establish signal from MAF to ECM. This fault is intermittent and at high rpm.
Possible connection - harness issue, Have you checked the state of wiring and MAF very very closely? a wire *might be* bruised or connected by just a couple of wires.....

I will suggest testing the CPS or crank position sensor, this *might be* failing, but it's a guess.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
You are only looking for supply, so a probe with test light will work, it's from MAF to ECM.

You need to establish signal from MAF to ECM. This fault is intermittent and at high rpm.
Possible connection - harness issue, Have you checked the state of wiring and MAF very very closely? a wire *might be* bruised or connected by just a couple of wires.....

I will suggest testing the CPS or crank position sensor, this *might be* failing, but it's a guess.
I have suply i know that because of the MAF working just giving me wrong readouts..

The cutting of the enginge is due to the MAF bottoming out. No problems with anything else. Just WHY are my MAF giving me bad readings WHY !!!!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive seen this before a few times and it's turned out to be a failed throttle body.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by E36M3
Ive seen this before a few times and it's turned out to be a failed throttle body.
Interesting. How would the throttle body make the MAF readings go bad ?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Both codes are for a higher than normal voltage from the MAF, and the P0103 indeed cuts the engine until you are below the maximum voltage again.

The BB code is alright for your model, have you tried to clean the unit? Not sure if that will make a difference, as I would guess a dirty one would go the opposite way in readings. If the base voltage reading to the unit is a stable 5 volt, I would go for changing out the maf as a next step.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by avos
Both codes are for a higher than normal voltage from the MAF, and the P0103 indeed cuts the engine until you are below the maximum voltage again.

The BB code is alright for your model, have you tried to clean the unit? Not sure if that will make a difference, as I would guess a dirty one would go the opposite way in readings. If the base voltage reading to the unit is a stable 5 volt, I would go for changing out the maf as a next step.
MAF is new thats the problem... Only been in the car for like 20,000 km and the problem has been there almost all the time since I changed it.

The reason for me changing it was that i got alot of 02 sensor codes... Those i dont get any more.

Could it be that i got myself a crappy china copy MAF ??

Cant remember excatly where i bought it but it sure looks exatly the same as the one sitting there before... Except for ending on BB..

This is the sensor
Jaguar XJR & XKR MAF Mass Airflow Meter LNE1620BB

Did some readouts of the values today. and sitting at idle I´m getting ca 6 g/s is this normal ?

Old 09-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by jaggachafen
Might be, 50gbp seems very low, I would try to send it back if possible. When you order it from Jaguar you also get the tube with it, was this also the case here? If not I think you have a non-original one for sure. The BB series is right though for your car.

The values from the MAF aren't linear, and also the deviation could be non-linear on top of that, so at idle/low airflow it may be just ok, but at higher airflows it could be way off.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by jaggachafen
... and the problem has been there almost all the time since I changed it.

"OEM quality part number LNE1620BB"

This is marketing speak for "it's not the real thing, but we hope you don't notice".

It might be perfectly fine for vehicles which are operated normally, but you operate at the edges of the design envelope.

Doesn't matter whether it came from China or not. It could just as easily be a real Denso, but with the wrong operating characteristics.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by plums
"OEM quality part number LNE1620BB"

This is marketing speak for "it's not the real thing, but we hope you don't notice".

It might be perfectly fine for vehicles which are operated normally, but you operate at the edges of the design envelope.

Doesn't matter whether it came from China or not. It could just as easily be a real Denso, but with the wrong operating characteristics.
Yup.. its a bit cheap to be the right part but it looks excatly the same as the old one except for the partnumber ending on BB. it didn´t com with the tube just the sensor.

I´ll try to get a hold of one that is known to work and try it.

Back with results